Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grabbed two spools of this line a Walmart today In 50 pound and 20 pound test. The spools were 330 yards each for $15.88! I couldn’t pass it up for that price. I plan on spooling up my fin nor lt60 with the 50 pound and my fin nor lt40 with the 20 and using them for inshore and surf fishing on vacation next week. I think this Line came out last year.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Brush up on your knots. You'll need different ones for braid. Also, you'll need something to cut the braid, scissors or a nail clipper. A knife won't cut it cleanly.

Braid comes in two varieties. One is limp, and the other is a bit stiffer. I've only tried the limp variety, and I wonder if the stiffer one tend to form fewer wind knots. Braid makes more wind knots than mono, if you cast a lot.

That's a good price though. Don't spool your entire reel with braid. Just the last 100 yards or so. Mono works just fine for backing and that will allow you to put braid on three reels, not just one.

And you'll need a leader. Something to tie your baits onto. Eight to twelve feet of fluorocarbon works great for that.

Good fishing.

·
Super Moderator
3,720 Posts
When i
I grabbed two spools of this line a Walmart today In 50 pound and 20 pound test. The spools were 330 yards each for $15.88! I couldn’t pass it up for that price. I plan on spooling up my fin nor lt60 with the 50 pound and my fin nor lt40 with the 20 and using them for inshore and surf fishing on vacation next week. I think this Line came out last year.
When I fished tournaments in Louisiana years ago I used it on my flipping and jig rods. Then went to Maxima. In cold weather it tends to have a lot of spool memory.

Reactions: Kendawg

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've never been a big fan of braid till a few years ago. Put 80 pound power pro braid on my my abu garcia record 6500 musky rod when it first came out. I never really caught any fish on it that I remember. I put 100 pound power pro on my fin nor lethal LT 100 and used it to catch a 7 1/2' sandbar shark and a couple of 3' and 4' grey reef sharks on the same trip back in 2016'. I finally tried power pro 30 pound braid last year river fishing and in Lake Michigan along with a 20 pound fluorocarbon leader. Loved the line to death. Caught tons of fish and never had any issues. So im well aware that I need backing and a mono or fluorocarbon leader. Just wondering if anyone tried the cheaper Berkley/trilene big game braid? I decided to exchange the 50 pound for another 330 yard roll of 20 pound braid today. I could only get about 2/3's of the 50 pound braid on my Lt60. It also felt a little too thick for casting lighter lures.. I installed a good amount of 12 pound mono backing and still got on all 330 yards of 20 pound braid with room to spare. My guess is I could get another 100 yards on it. Plan on using it for surf casting and don't want to get spooled on a big fish. I already have a fin Nor lt80 with 300 yards of Power Pro and a good amount of mono backing, a LT100 with almost 500 yards of 100 pound power pro and mono backing. I have a fin nor lt40 on the way....if it gets here I time before I leave next week for Florida to try them out. The lt40 will get spooled with the remaining 20 pound braid. If not i have a Abu garci sx40 with 30 pound power pro I used all last season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts