Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the Speer shot cups. Was wondering if anybody has any experience using these in 45 Colt?
Pistol? Rifle?

Probably have to single load in the 1894.
I was thinking in a pinch it might take a rabbit or quail in close for camp meat.

Any experiences with this would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
The only experience I had was back in the early 70's with a S&W 44 mag and shot shells. I remember we had a problem with stray dog packs. One was on our back porch and I opened the door and nailed him in the butt at about 8 feet. I remember he ran sideways for a while hollering, but it could have been the sudden noise because I never saw blood on the snow. Seems I remember you couldn't break a glass bottle at 15 yds with them.. just a lotta bark and very little bite. I think a 22LR would be far more potent at anything but very close ranges.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I shot a skunk in the butt with my 39A and a CCI shotshell from 5 feet. I will NEVER do that again!
I didn't get hit, but it blew up his scent gland all over my front porch. It was BAD for about 4 days and permeated through the entire house. :-[

I might try and load some up just for grins. I know most shotshells use #12 shot. I wanted to try #8 or #9 and see if I could get a little pattern on a dinner plate at 10 or 15 feet.

Just looking for all available options for putting meat in the pot when I'm out in it. I think a 45 anything (Colt or Schofield) would be way too much for a quail.

I might have to re-think my 1894LTD's partner. I was going to get a Ruger Redhawk 4" because it can handle really stiff loads. I might have to take a serious look at the Taurus Judge now. It may have a better fit in a survival situation.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
450 Sniper that's FUNNY!

The only skunk story better than that one is on here somewhere (I think). Someone shot a skunk in their yard and it bolted into the crawl space under their house to die.

Jon

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think mine ended up under my hay barn. It stunk for a few weeks. :-\

I didn't want him getting my chickens. Next time I will use a CB or at least a Super Colibri.

I researched the Judge. I'm not sure if I like it. It doesn't seem to do either function very well.
Of all the youtube videos I could find, it either groups 45's like crap @ 15' or throws too big a pattern of shot at 15'.
It is great for it's intended purpose. Protecting you car while you are in it.
I'm pretty sure I won't get horse jacked!

It's going to be the Ruger Redhawk 4" 45 Colt.
It looks like a shooter.

I will add to this down the road when I have it and have tried out some different shot in it.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
450 Sniper said:
I think mine ended up under my hay barn. It stunk for a few weeks. :-\

I didn't want him getting my chickens. Next time I will use a CB or at least a Super Colibri.

I researched the Judge. I'm not sure if I like it. It doesn't seem to do either function very well.
Of all the youtube videos I could find, it either groups 45's like crap @ 15' or throws too big a pattern of shot at 15'.
It is great for it's intended purpose. Protecting you car while you are in it.
I'm pretty sure I won't get horse jacked!

It's going to be the Ruger Redhawk 4" 45 Colt.
It looks like a shooter.

I will add to this down the road when I have it and have tried out some different shot in it.
I probably wouldn't get the Judge, but I am not crazy about Taurus anyway. +1 on the Ruger 45 Colt! Should be a great pair up with your 1894.. And for the little meals that comes across your path, maybe a little Ruger Single Six?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have my Uberti 1873 Stallion conversion or my NAA Black Widow conversion (which has already taken MANY quail with 22 Mag snakeshot at up to 10 yards)....................

You know how it is - trying to cross platform as much as possible so you have less 'stuff' to carry.

;D

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
I use 2 & 1/2" 410 shells in my judge. Of course it is the "ported" 3.00" barrel. Lots of folks talk about lack of accuracy but I can hit a 12" circle at 50 yards with it! For me that works just fine. ;D

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's not terrible. I imagine most of the video dudes are crappy shots.

Hey Gunner, I'm surprised your ears aren't ported!!! ;D

I like the concept of the Judge - I'm just not sold on it.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Years ago I made my own 45 colt shot shells for a 7.5" Black Hawk. Worked great on barn rats. I don't remember all the particulars, but we just made mini shot shells. A small charge of Bullseye, thin cardboard layer, filled it with shot and topped with cardboard and a heavy crimp.

Edit add....the cardboard has to be pretty thin, because the corrugated stuff takes up too much space and doesn't leave enough room for shot.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, City Slicker.

I read an article one time about 45 Colt shotshells using the Speer shot cups and how well they worked. I can't find it again (it's been quite a few years).

It's main intention would be loaded as #1 in the cylinder in my pistol for a snake or small game.

I was curious if anyone had shot them in a rifle and what the results were. I know they won't tube feed due to the profile..............................I guess I'll be the guinea pig and do a write up when I test 'em and shoot 'em.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
With my Judge Public Defender I can shoot the tops of dandelions at about 10 yards half the time. The times I miss I am real close. Now thats with a 2.5" slug but it does work.

micky

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Every time I try to buy some .45C shot shell capsules, they are out of stock. I've used the snakestopper load discussed on gunblast.com with some success. Now, I'm using 410 shells cut to proper cylinder length, 6 grains of red dot powder, and cardboard to close up. These have good coverage at snake distance, but they blow back the primer causing the cylinder to bind. My free spin pawl comes in handy to allow me to turn the cylinder which ever way is easiest to get past the bind. Given my recent success with Blackhorn BP substitute in my 265 grain cast loads, I think I'll try Blackhorn under the shot shells.

rimrock

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Most of the shot shells are meant for small tender varmints like snake or rats so they use small #9 , #10, or #12 shot. It also allows for a higher shot count per load.

That is why I load my own shot shells for my 41 mag Blackhawk. I can get a 160 grain load of #8 shot and that is about 156 count per load. They will put the shot threw 3/4 plywood at 20 feet. Tear a snake into ribbons and a cotton tail a new back door. ;) ;D

I use a BPI 410 shot-stump wad and cut it in half. It looks like an hour glass before I cut it. Then I put a charge of 6.5 gr. of universal clays in with the wad cup over powder , cup towards the shot, 160 gr of #8 shot, and then the other half of the wad as the nose. It sticks out like a bullet and I crimp with my Lee factory crimp die. I light it off with a CCI 300 LP primer. Mild and low re-coil, low noise, and a good pattern out to 30 feet and that is the max for my 6.5 inch Blackhawk, after that they spread out and lose steam quickly.

I have also used a 1 inch long piece of 10 mm paper straw and crimped the end similar to a real shot shell and they work just as good for the over shot nose but I still use one half of the stump wad over the powder. Looks like a mini shot shell with real high brass base. Another thing I am going to try is a plastic cover for my e-cig cartridge, it fits perfect and is a little longer than the shot wad. ;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'v loaded them in 44 and 357 they shoot good enough for snake close but after that they spread out to much to be ant good, dont have a brain fart like I did and try to load them in the tube, win they chamber the plastic capsul will break and you'll wind up with shot and plastic all in the action.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HAHAHAHAHA! OOPS! :eek: ??? ::) :-\

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,353 Posts
Totally agree with the larger shot sizes. I used a lot of #4's and #5's in my 41mag. Maybe why it was very effective at the ranges I was shooting grouse. The 357mag got 7 1/2'S and #6's.

Jeff
NRA Life

1 - 20 of 20 Posts