Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of trying a few 525 piledrivers on top of about 7gr of Trail Boss. No practical reason for it, I'm mostly just curious if they'll be any quieter than 300gr Trail Boss loads. I'm not worried about pressure at all, but I am a little concerned that I could get one stuck in the barrel. Anyone have experience in this area?

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Not yet but I plan on it. I purchased 4lbs of it from a shop going out of business and need to get busy with it. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
330 Posts
You might want to take the reverse of the approach that is usually recommended .........work towards the reduced load carefully from a known minimum. checking for signs of insufficient pressure ..........lol........... when have you seen THAT disclaimer before.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Icarus,
Go to the www.gmdr.com website and look at their low vel tried/true loads and see where your burn rate falls between if not already there.
They show plenty of powder loads for different weights of bullets that stay subsonic or just above.
Have fun.
Alan

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have used Trail Boss a bunch lately with a Lee 340 RNFP and get about what I expect in the way of velocity. 1350 FPS. Now the heavist I cast is the old Ideal 457124 and with the almost pure lead mix I have it comes in at 405 Gr. With 15 gr of TB it'll still crack, but when I take it down to 13 gr. or less, I get that old "BOOM" and I know it's under 1120 fps...I have never gone too slow with this bullet as I do like getting the round to paper (or HOG!) without having to use an artillery method of dropping the rounds in from a high angle ;D

With that heavyweight slug and a light load of TB, I'll bet you won't even get above 900 fps....it might even be slower!! Trails Boss is real forgiving as to your loading. It meters funny in my old Lyman 55 measure and will bridge sometimes. But all in all I love that powder. It just plain fun to shoot and burns super clean!

Look forward to a range report on your efforts with your trials.

Wade

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you want a quiet load 950 to 1,000 fps works real well.I'm going to try to find a load with TB and my 405PB MM bullets in my GS when the weather lets up.I've seen some pretty good groups others have shot with TB here.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
45l said:
If you want a quiet load 950 to 1,000 fps works real well.I'm going to try to find a load with TB and my 405PB MM bullets in my GS when the weather lets up.I've seen some pretty good groups others have shot with TB here.
8) - i like the Trail Boss in my CB :) 13 gr and the Lee 459-405HB and my new 1-off Lee 463-420FB 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the range today and shot a string of 5 piledriver 525s . All were on top of 11gr of TB. Unfortunately, I did not have access to a chronograph today but I could definitely tell those bullets were moving slow. Even at 25 yards there was a noticeable delay between firing and impact. I would guesstimate ~800fps. It was definitely much quieter than normal loads but probably not so quiet that I'd shoot it without ear pro. Next time I'm using a chrono, I'll see if I can dial it back to 600fps or so.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you start shooting them real slow make sure they make it out the barrel,a follow up shot with one in the barrel will not make your rifle happy.If your going to shoot at 600 fps you might want to firelapp your barrel while your at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made it to the range today with some 525 Piledrivers on top of 10 grains of Trail Boss. Average velocity for a 5 shot string was 696 with an SD of 7. Much quieter than standard loads and very low recoil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts