Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cast some .462 309gr hollow-points today, using a Mihec mold from the group buy on Cast boolits forum:

Has anyone tried these or similar bullets in a Marlin 45-70 for hunting deer?

Load data/velocity experiences also much appreciated (I will always work up my own loads safely, of course.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
They sure are a pretty bullet! How deep is the hollow point? It looks like it might be a little explosive for my tastes, I haven't even used the Gould hollow point on deer for fear of excess damage. I look forward to your report.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Nice looking bullet, I do believe they would open up extremely well.:shot:

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Bangbangman,

Great looking bullets!!!!!!!!!

But I wonder, what is the point of the light weight and the hollow point.

My first deer with the 45/70 was taken with a 355gr Wide Flat Nose cast at a muzzle velocity of 2300fps.

Well, I never want to do or see that again!!!! Lesson learned!!!!!!!!!! Huge wound channel!!!!!!!!!!!

So, that brings me to the point of wondering about the light weight combined with the hollow point.

You can push a much better and game worthy 400gr or heavier bullet to the level beyond which excessive meat loss and decreased penetration begins to occur.

The light bullet while it may start faster, will loose velocity and energy faster then will a heavier bullet.

Then optimum hollow point expansion without blow up comes in a narrow range dependent on impact velocity and the alloy in use.

So, although you have cast some really beautiful bullets, I wonder if they should be relegated to use for fun sessions of target practice and blowing up water fill milk jugs for which they should excel!

After learning my lesson on that first critter, a growing pile of deer and two elk have proven the high level of effectiveness of my 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast at a muzzle velocity of 1650fps. Not as pretty and "cool" as yours, but much more usable for deer etc.

I tested the 355gr cast at velocities a touch over 2500fps in my RUGER #1, and I'd bet you could get over 2000fps from your Marlin with that light bullet. Should be great fun and awesomely devastating on water filled milk jugs!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the compliment, CDOC.

It sounds like you're hunting with a similar bullet to my "Mjölnir"- 460gr with a large meplat.

I posted about it on this forum quite recently:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/176128-starting-casting-meet-mjoelnir.html

I can run Mjölnir slow and get good on-game performance, as you say.

The lighter, HP bullet above came about because:

1. Here in the UK, it is illegal to hunt deer with ammo that is not designed to expand (yes, even when your bullet is .462" to begin with!) The HP visibly fulfils this criteria, whereas a solid cast lead bullet (which we know can expand if done right!) does not.
2. HP uses less lead and will make lighter-recoiling "plinking" bullet
3. The exchange rate was favourable so the mold was cheap.
4. Miha makes lovely molds
5. The HP pins can be changed to allow a heavier flat nose or a shallower HP
6. Some of our deer species are quite small and a 460gr will zip through them and off into the next county (hopefully irrelevant with appropriate back stop.)
7. Look at the pretty bullets!

·
Registered
518 Posts
My thoughts wander to the 45ACP Flying Ashtray (200grains Speer HP)

I fear the Mihec bullet will tear itself apart given a decent amount of speed.
Bear in mind that an alloy containing more than 2% tin and 2% antimony will sease to expand unless driven very fast.
So there is a trade of somewhere here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts