Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Anybody out there loading the lyman devastor (250g 44cal HP, mould # 429640) for their 444M? If so, curious as to what velocity, alloy and powder you are using. Also curious what your experience has been with this boolit on whitetail deer. I have shot a lot of these bullets in H&R single shots with 1:20 twist barrels and have had good accuracy (1.5 to 2 MOA @ 100 yards) up to about 2,000 fps. I have also shot these in a H&R 1:38 twist 444 and the accuracy isn't quite as good. My boolits are cast from Lyman #2 (IIRC, air cooled) and lubed with the black nasty lyman lube, I buy these I do not cast them, but am thinking I might buy the mold and roll my own.

thanks

BB

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I have never used that bullet but I bet your accuracy will improve if you size your bullets .432". A big hollowpoint on a cast bullet used in a 444 is not advantageous unless youload it down closer to 44 mag velocities. Big meplats are gospel for the 444. NOE has 432-265 Ranch Dog molds available. That is one of the best cast bullet molds available for the 444.
.432, NOE Bullet Moulds

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have used this in a 44 mag and ended up having a srcond punch made to up the weight and reduce the cavity........sold the 44 and
am going to sell the mold as gone to 45 Colt.............great bullet and works well in a tube....................

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I loaded some of the 429460s over SR 4759, R-P brass, WLR primers. No chrony data and close range shooting, 62 yards, because the wind was blowing 20 to 30 mph. Also forgot my rest, AGAIN, so was shooting off the top of my range box, trying to time the trigger pull between wind gusts. Gun is zeroed at 100 yards with 300g Barnes Buster over a near max. load of Xterminator. This cast load was about 2" high about a 1" left of POA so I left the scope alone for the time being. My first shot was operator error and the next 4 into about 1.5". Good enough to encourage further load development. Also, found that the spring on my cartridge leverer is kaput and makes me double clutch the lever to chamber a round. Hard to believe a 43 year old part would fail.:flute: Numrich already has my order for a replacement spring plus every other small part (pins, springs & screws) I will have to remove to replace this bad spring. Oh Boy, my first levergun action teardown!:biggrin:

BB

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
range pic with Lyman devastor & SR 4759

Shot the Lyman devastor LHPGCs again today at 100 yards in my well used 444s. Wind was cooperative for about an hour so the groups are a little better. Attached is a scan (cell phone camera is junk) of one of the two targets. Had the same group on target #2 but about 2 inches above the bullseye after a scope adjustment.

BB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts