Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 336 coming in .35 remington. Mulling over the various bullets from speer, sirra and hornady. I have come across a 205 grain with gas check lead cast. Anyone using cast bullets for hunting??

G

·
I cast a RCBS 200 grain GC bullet and I have a mold for Ranch Dogs 180 grain GC that I have not tried yet .
I've killed deer with bullet from the RCBS mold.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Same here. Avid user of cast, in gascheck and plainbase styles. The .35 Remington is very well suited for deer hunting using the lead bullet.

Your handloading isn't complete until you add lead bullets to the menu.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Here are a few of my latest

For bigger image: http://www.marlinowners.com/gallery/albums/userpics/35Rem_cast.jpg

From left to right: D&J match grade cast 158gr over 10gr Unique, Meister 158gr SWC cast over 10gr Unique, 200gr Hornady over 34.5gr IMR3031, and a 200gr Rem over 29.2gr Reloader 7.

I have some Beartooth 200gr cast CGs on order that I want to load next. Anyone have a recommended load for RL7 or IMR3031 or 4198 (hunting load)?

·
Registered
482 Posts
IMR's website lists 37.5 3031 for a tad over 2100 with Hornady's 200gr. I'm using this load under the Rem CL. So far though all I've done is a rough sight in. Leaned up against a fence post I kept 3 to about 2 1/2" at 75 yards. With a bench, scope and Rem factory loads the rifle will keep 10 inside of 2" at 100. So I'm thinking that a good cast boolit in this velocity range should work just as good. I will find out once I get hold of a good mould for it and a chance to do some testing.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I use the Lyman 200 cast in my 358 Win. A charge of SR4759 sufficient for 1900 fps works real well accuracywise. I'm sure a similar combination would work in the 35. You'd just be able to do it with less powder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
fargus080 said:
D&J match grade cast 158gr over 10gr Unique, Meister 158gr SWC cast over 10gr Unique,
Stupid question: but are these ".38 special" bullets? I was looking for a cheap plinking round and always wondered if the Meister/Unique combo would be it.

How do they shoot?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I forgot to mention I've been testing the Lee 140 gr SWC in my .35. Cast out of WW and using Unique from a .5CC dipper(forget the charge weight). The only issue I have had has been the lack of a throat in my .35. I have to crimp in the front driving band or they will not fully chamber. I'm in the middle of a relocation so testing is on hold. The goal is to find a load that shoots very close POI with my full power loads at 25 yards for small game. The few I've tried seem to be reasonably accurate and pleasantly quiet.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
halvey said:
fargus080 said:
D&J match grade cast 158gr over 10gr Unique, Meister 158gr SWC cast over 10gr Unique,
Stupid question: but are these ".38 special" bullets? I was looking for a cheap plinking round and always wondered if the Meister/Unique combo would be it.

How do they shoot?
.38 special - yes they are. They tend to be quite the bargain to boot. I got the D&J for <$5 per 100.

How they shoot - I'll have to get back to you on that one. These are my second go around. 1st time I didn't flare the bell of the shell and shaved off some of the lead while seating. That made them pretty lousy accuracy-wise. I picked up a Lyman M-die to flare the rims, and I'm going to try again. I do recall they were quite soft shooting. I made some 350gr Meister 45-70 plinkers with Unique (about 11-12gr if I remember). Softest thing I ever shot in a guide gun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts