Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some Missouri Bullet Company cast bullets in 255 grain SWC sized .452 and got 400 bullets for 61.00 dollars. These bullets say on the box 45 Elmer K.18 Brinell Optimized for Elmer Keith fans. I must say I am impressed with their packaging if nothing else. Ha. Anyone shoot these bullets in their 45 LC?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have to say I have not as yet. Don't know if or when I will, but as I understand it, there are some characteristics one needs to look for in a well made Keith SWC. One is a tall, sharp-shouldered, full caliber front driving band. All cast bullets, but especially hard cast bullets that could be driven fast, whether from a pistol or rifle, deserve a high quality lube on em. Some lube isn't worth spit.........I've read guys likening it to crayon-like. A good quality lube will minimize leading & aid accuracy, so I'm told. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people around here who can bring more & even set me straight as well, if I've got anything wrong. Good luck. Oh BTW, you might compare any SWCs you already have with these new ones when you get em, jd45

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some 265 grain LBT's by Cast Performance with the big flat nose that are gas checked that I plan on shooting in my 45LC 1894, they also look like quality bullets.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've done very well with that Missouri bullet and Winchester 231 or HP38 (Win 231's clone). Check your manuals and watch for pressure signs but 7.2 grains has worked very well indeed in my New Vaquero Ruger in .45 LC. Accuracy (once I got the undersized cylinder throats opened to 0.4525") runs around 2" at 25 yds. It's a great bullet for all that can be expected from that venerable cartridge. The load listed is safe in my guns, you should work up to it in yours. I've chrono'd it at 854 fps.

If you have trouble with leading try re-lubing with Lee Liquid Alox then loading them as usual. Unique is also a good powder for the .45 LC, though Win 231 gives me better accuracy.

Best Regards, Rod

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have found they shoot the same as the Dardas 255 .452 and the Rimrock 255 .452. I'm not sure why Misssouri calls them a Keith or for Keith fans, as said above it needs a full diameter front band and a flat base to be even close.

Good luck with the loads!

James

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder what kind of speed you can push them before leading occurs. They are not GCed. They are pretty hard. I planned on shooting them in a 4 3/4 inch barrel Freedom Arms 454 casull and using 454 brass. I would be happy with 900-1000 fps.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
They may be fine bullets in their own right but they are most assuredly not a true Keith-style bullet. Keith designed his now famous SWC with a flat base, deep tapered crimp groove and square cornered grease groove, and a relatively long nose with a full caliber driving band ahead of the crimp groove.

To understand more....The .45 Keith SWC, how Elmer Keith designed it and what is available today. History, differences, similarities.

Not many commercial casters produce a true Keith bullet....Montana Bullet Works and Beartooth are an exception. The reason you find so few true Keith SWCs offered from the commercial casters it's because it's shape and square corners makes it more difficult to cast in large quantities quickly. The bevel-based bullets Missouri Bullet Company sells are designed for speed of production in commercial casting machines. I'm sure they will shoot just fine, but to call them Keith bullets is a great disservice to the consumer...and the old master himself.

Roe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.