Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been interested in the xp100 ever since I was a kid glued to the pages of sporting magazines of the day. I see there are a couple coming upon for auction next month and I've been looking?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
A local gunsmith I’m friends with has an XP in 35 Rem. He shoots the 158 Hornady XTP-FP from his. It’s a neat gun and it has turned in some really great groups. A lot of people have tried to buy it from him and he just laughs. He has killed quite a few deer with his.

·
Registered
724 Posts
A 115gr SPEER HP in an XP-100/7mmBR is point blank ± 2" out to 210yds
Leupold's VX-III 2.5-8 makes it a long-range ground squirrel eliminator.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
an XP is one of my "used to have" guns :( , a .221 Fireball with a 7x IER scope.
Neat firearm but I can't even remember why it went away.

If you have the disposable funds, I say set yourself a $ limit and make a bid or two in that auction.
Just because.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When I got ready to retire I picked up a couple of toys that were on my want list. The XP100 in .221 Fireball was one of them. I had wanted one for years but just never got around to finding one. I go on an annual P'dog safari to S.D. and I can vouch for the Fireball turning them inside out. It is a really fun gun to play with and it is a very easy cartridge to reload. Get one, you will like it.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Yes---I converted one from 221 Fireball to 308 Win. Has a 14 inch heavy contour barrel with 2X Burris long eye relief pistol scope. It's a handfull with full 308 Win loads. If you can hold it and make the shot it will easily hit stuff out to 200 meters. I also have an old SSP-91 a single shot with 14 inch heavy bull barrel in 308 Win. Also a handfull to shoot and equipped with the same Burris 2X pistol scope. The only thing I can say is if you intend to shoot full hunting 35 Rem in it with 200+ grn boolits it will kick ! I used my SSP-91 to hunt pig on private land and it is way over powered for 150-200 lbs pigs at close range. It blows um dead like they died before they even knew it.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
I bought a XP100 Fire Ball new and had a phantom scope on it. I traded it off. Had several more 221s. The last one I had was a 7mm-08
never shot in NIB. If I remember it didn’t have sights.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
when I was a kid I thought the xp100 in 221 fireball was cool, but I have never had one. the closest I got was this 660 remington in 6mm it has the 1960s look and same dogleg bolt. 6mm buck (3).jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts