Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
The pictured buck below was shot with a 25-35 and a 117 grain RN Hornady cruising 2300 fps. Not much choice in 117 grain bullets except for the Hornady RN. The Winchester factory load chronographed 2150 fps from my 20" barrel. Hodgdon CFE 223 gave excellent accuracy and gave 200 fps more than any other powder I tried.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pictured buck below was shot with a 25-35 and a 117 grain RN Hornady cruising 2300 fps. Not much choice in 117 grain bullets except for the Hornady RN. The Winchester factory load chronographed 2150 fps from my 20" barrel. Hodgdon CFE 223 gave excellent accuracy and gave 200 fps more than any other powder I tried.
do you think 75gr speer FN is too lite for deer?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Lord! I haven't loaded 25-35 since living in New Mexico back in the 70's!.............................aaaaaahhhhh, fond memories!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Depends on how small your deer are. I used a 90gr hollow point on mule deer, under 100 yards, and it was bang - flop with a neck shot. Of course, I had to load only one in the magazine and one chambered.

Reactions: Hunter2506

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
I think the Speer 75 grain FN is more suited to coyotes, varmints, and for use in the 25-20. If you're going to shoot deer in the head/neck or just behind the shoulder in the lung/heart, I'm sure it will do the job. I've killed a few deer with behind the shoulder shots with the 222 and 223 using 50 grain varmint bullets and they all tipped over within 60 yards, same distance they fall after being shot with perfect lung shots using magnums.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Several good 25-35 threads over on Shooters. This was mine. I think it was one of the first.

25-35 loads - Shooters Forum

Reloader 10 was one of the best we found. I've not tried the Leverevolution, which in most of my newer loads is included.
Dr. A, this is a good read, thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.