Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone picked up one of those 150th 444? They seem to be trickling out now, finally. I know a lot of people on here don't like the "Remlins", but still.

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Way out of my price range, especially for a rifle that I would want to hunt with. By the time it goes up in value (if it ever does), who knows where our economy will be in 20 or 30 years.

But, it sure is purdy to look at.

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Registered
421 Posts
For the money, they are one hack of a nice looking rifle. But, I don't have one.
Any of them on gun broker or other places.?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Two on GB, one ends in 7+ hrs., with 27 bids and up to $3000.
The other has 4 days with 1 bid of $1895.
I own a pair of JM T-4's and don't see any need in one.
No Remlins here.

RP

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
So I was planning to buy one. I was watching gunbroker for them and suddenly there was one, then two. I think they both were auctions but had a buy it now price set at the msrp of 1895. I really thought they would go for around 1500 and as they were approaching that amount another popped up with a buy it now price of around 1650 but there was only the stock picture from marlin. I emailed the seller and asked for a picture but before they could send one someone else pressed the bin button. Meanwhile the other two continued to climb and I think one went for 1850 and the other went bin at 1895. A couple more with buy it now prices were listed but were snatched up before I even saw them. Now the last few have been auction only and have gone for over 3000 bucks! I dont think I will be getting one now. I missed my chance because I wanted to see a picture of the real rifle :(

Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I was planning to buy one. I was watching gunbroker for them and suddenly there was one, then two. I think they both were auctions but had a buy it now price set at the msrp of 1895. I really thought they would go for around 1500 and as they were approaching that amount another popped up with a buy it now price of around 1650 but there was only the stock picture from marlin. I emailed the seller and asked for a picture but before they could send one someone else pressed the bin button. Meanwhile the other two continued to climb and I think one went for 1850 and the other went bin at 1895. A couple more with buy it now prices were listed but were snatched up before I even saw them. Now the last few have been auction only and have gone for over 3000 bucks! I dont think I will be getting one now. I missed my chance because I wanted to see a picture of the real rifle :(

Bob
Yeah, I've been watching them on gunbroker too. The last several have been 3000. I think once they get into some hands the prices will ease up. i mean they're shipping obviously. Funny enough I wanted one just to have a nice rifle to take out. I had looked at a regular 444 and then added on the price of a nice stock and I was nearly at 1500 already. I'm not much on collector guns but I usually take prety good care of my rifles and it'd be nice to have a nicer rifle. We will see. Somewhere there is a local gun shop that probably has one on a shelf.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Well I just paid for one. It's coming from a gun shop out of state. Now the waiting game starts :( First for my FFL holder to send them his FFL, then for them to ship it, then the actual shipping, followed by actually catching up with my FFL guy. But, even though it may be two weeks out, the process is started :)

Can't post pictures as I have no idea of what it looks like. I didn't even ask because last week I did ask and it sold (online) to someone else before they could take the picture. Didn't want to risk that happening again as the prices have jumped so much in the last week.

I will post when it comes in though :)

-Bob

Hmmn, I wonder if this means I should sell my other .444...

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
I have word my rifle has arrived to my FFL. Have an appointment to pick it up tomorrow, late in the afternoon. The agony!

-Bob

Reactions: rcb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha... my FFL just tells me to let them call, instead of the other way around. :D The anticipation is often too much.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
I picked mine up last night. Overall I am very happy with the rifle. The only area that I'm not to sure I like is the checkering. It is hard to see a pattern and almost looks like stippling, especially on my butt stock. Maybe it is because the checking is so fine.

Marlin 444 150th Rt Side.jpg

Marlin 444 150th Rt Side Front.jpg

Marlin 444 150th Rt Side Rear.jpg

-Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got mine home. I took mine out to play with it. Got in a hurry for the photos and didn't notice I was overexposed and had dust all over it, obviously. Ah well. Forgive the vanity shots. Too nice to avoid it completely. For me this is the most I've ever spent on a rifle. I'm sure many are chuckling to themselves as it's less than a lot of ARs out there, lol. My youngest son is 5 and he saw the ad for this in the rifleman. He was quite enthusiastic about. Needless to say I intend for it go to him eventually. He hasn't seen it yet. I can't wait to see his face.

marlin444_2.jpg

marlin444_4.jpg

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Very nice RCB! That wood is outstanding and you can see the pattern of the checkering real well. If Talstar's looks like yours I think I will have to talk to Marlin about my butt stock.

-Bob

Reactions: rcb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice RCB! That wood is outstanding and you can see the pattern of the checkering real well. If Talstar's looks like yours I think I will have to talk to Marlin about my butt stock.

-Bob
Thanks! Yes, my checkering is crisp. Your foregrip looks the same as mine, but I can see what you mean regarding the butt stock.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I’ll pass, i can’t see myself walking in the woods hunting with it and I don’t buy guns to look at...and this gun, along with any other modern day firearm, will never increase in value enough to get rich on for investment purpose. I’m sure a JM is better quality and can be had for much less. Reminds me...I wonder if colt ever worked all their bugs out the re released pythons yet?

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
"I’m sure a JM is better quality and can be had for much less"

Well you won't find a JM production 444 that is anything like this rifle so good luck with that. As for the quality, how can you say that without ever having your hands on one of these rifles?

-Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The half octagon barrel, full length mag tube and the furniture is what sold me. I bought this to take out shooting and even hunting, but it was cheaper than taking a regular 444 and upgrading those things.

As far as quality...maybe? The machining is good. It's much more satisfactory than a lot of the other newer rifles I've handled. I've got no complaints.

I still would like to make a custom 1895 with a 30" barrel and full length tube... but I like being outlandish like that too.

·
Super Moderator
23,807 Posts
"I’m sure a JM is better quality and can be had for much less"

Well you won't find a JM production 444 that is anything like this rifle so good luck with that. As for the quality, how can you say that without ever having your hands on one of these rifles?

-Bob
Actually, I have had very good luck with my JM 444XLR, 444P, and 444SS. You won't ever find another Marlin/Remlin rifle with the excellent engineering, outstanding quality, and inherent accuracy of the XLR series. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts