Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to work up a load for deer hunting with the 300gr XTP bullet and WC820 powder. I have loaded this combination in my Ruger Bisley but with the bullet seated longer and thus using higher powder charges. Old data I have from Hodgdon lists H110 at start of 18gr. and max of 19 grains with the 300XTP seated to 1.6 col in the upper crimp groove. Reducing those loads by 13% for 820 I worked up to the max of 16.5 gr but the load still feels rather mild to me and unfortunately my Chrony has died so I don't know what velocity I am getting. I have heard you need to run the 300s hard to get accuracy from them in the 1894 so am thinking of going a little higher but just wondering what experience others may have had with this combination. I have a lot of this powder and a fair number of the bullets so would like to make it work as components are very difficult to find right now. If i cannot get better accuracy with the Marlin I may have to scope the Winchester Trapper and see what I can do with this load in that rifle with faster twist, Thanks in advance

·
Registered
20,168 Posts
I haven't had any personal experience with 300 gr XTPs in my rifle,but my friend brought some Hornady factory 300 gr loads to my house,and we shot them into canned vegetables,logs,and the dirt backstop. We used his Redhawk with the long barrel. None of the recovered bullets had expanded at all,so maybe they need to be driven fast,say at .444 velocities to get proper terminal performance. I don't know if they will expand reliably on deer at the slower speeds. Of course,this only an example of one,so others may have experienced better results than we did. Hopefully you'll hear from other members using the 300s.

Rob

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have not used them at all in any centerfire rifles. I do however use them.. 300gr 45 cal in my knight muzzleoader with 90 grs of pirodex powder. I know this may not be what you are looking for as a answer but I can tell you.. I will not use anything else in my muzzleloader. Killed many hogs.. no tracking. On deer.. DRT or just a short distance away. Shoulder shots.. bone.. muscle.. didn't matter. As far as expansion goes. The exit holes are not massivly huge but I could tell the bullet did expand. I personaly love um.. If I was loading them like you want you might want to push them at max velocity like rob42049 said. CWT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.