Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using 3031 in my 38-55 highwall and getting some good results. I found it listed under 32-40 loads and thought I would give it a whirl.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Mike Venturino loaded the 32-40 with a Speer 170JSP and 26.0gr of IMR3031 for about 1650fps in one of his books. In that book he tells of downing three Montana antelope with four rapid fire shots, prone, at under 100 yards. He did mention that regardless of the sight markings for the old lever guns the 32-40 is really a 100-150 yard hunting cartridge.

By the way, in that book he also notes that almost all of his personal hunting experiences thru that date were done with his leverguns in 32-40 and 38-55. Elk with the 38-55 and smaller game like whitetails and down with the 32-40. Mike V is one of the few modern gun writers who has a grasp of reality in my opinion.

Reactions: Sparky civil

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mike Venturino loaded the 32-40 with a Speer 170JSP and 26.0gr of IMR3031 for about 1650fps in one of his books. In that book he tells of downing three Montana antelope with four rapid fire shots, prone, at under 100 yards. He did mention that regardless of the sight markings for the old lever guns the 32-40 is really a 100-150 yard hunting cartridge.

By the way, in that book he also notes that almost all of his personal hunting experiences thru that date were done with his leverguns in 32-40 and 38-55. Elk with the 38-55 and smaller game like whitetails and down with the 32-40. Mike V is one of the few modern gun writers who has a grasp of reality in my opinion.
That's because he actually loads for them, practices with them and hunts with them and doesn't just rehash the popular opinions of the day.
No one would spend as much time and effort on these guns if they weren't a fan.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shot several over the weekend and accuracy by all appearances was good and velocity was right on target for the sights on my 1893. For various reasons I did not shoot this rifle at paper. I was plinking at rocks on the far bank of the lake on the farm. One notch up in elevation on the buckhorns got me on grapefruit sized rocks at 185'yds. Next time out I will get a better handle on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts