Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
. . . how many 30-30 336 Cowboys were manufactured? I ask because I just bought one (unless I've been gypped) from 1999.

After posting this, I found that Marlin never released any production numbers for this model. Whatever the number, they are rare. Here are some photos of my new Cowboy:

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:banghead:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
One more time . . . :pcguru:

I picked up my rifle yesterday from an FFL transfer after finding it on the internet. Looks like I didn't get gypped after all.

The proofmark is blurry on the photo (because of my lousy photography) but reads, **** MODEL 336 CB - CAL. 30-30-Win. ****.

The wood isn't spectacular, but looks good.

I've never had a rifle with this kind of balance. Aimed offhand, the barrel hangs motionless on target like it was suspended by wire.

My gunsmith rated the rifle at 95% because of one tiny pressure mark and because she'd been fired, but the bore was still mirror bright. The trigger and action are as smooth as glass. I feel like a kid on Christmas Day.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Wow...very nice! Hopefully, someone with inside knowledge will be along soon regarding your question about the # of these that were produced.

·
Banned
222 Posts
Sweet...... very nice.

Reactions: Holliday

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
I believe the 30/30 was the least produced of all the 24" 336 models. IIRC, they were only catalogued (or cataloged?) for 2/3 years. The one I bought new in 2004 sat onthe shelf at a small town hardware store for several years. I couldnt stand it any longer and bought it.................$505 out the door..........more money than I had ever spent on a gun. Glad I did. I sent 2 more back to marlin to have them rebarreled, one 30/30, one 38/55.............

I would also guess of the CATALOGUED cowboys, the 30/30 and 32 mag have the least production. Not sure if the 44/40 was catalogued or not.

My favorite of the 24"ers is the 45 Colt.

Nice looking 336 CB. I did change the sights on mine.......easier to see and better groups. Mine is capable of 1" at 100 with my reloads...............one fine rifle.

Papalote

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information Papalote. A few years ago, an internet vendor for a 30-30 336CB claimed that only about 2,000 rifles were produced between 1999 - 2001. The production dates seem to be correct, but who knows about the number manufactured. On this website, I found a post stating that about 3,500 rifles were made over three years, but other posts here indicate only two years of production. I also found some posts from an MO member who tried very hard to find out how many of these rifles were made. Asked the same question on other websites too, but if he ever got an answer I couldn't find it. Somebody should know but I guess they ain't talkin'.

Shot a few rounds of Hornady LeverEvolution through my Cowboy today from the bench at 25 yards. The Shoot-N-C target is 3 inches in diameter, and my best three shot group was 3/8ths of an inch. I apologize for the lousy picture, but all of the photos I've posted so far at MO have had to be taken with my cell phone.

Not great but promising. The rifle at this range is shooting about an inch high and an inch to the left. The rear sight can't go any lower. Been looking very hard at the Skinner Alaskan peep sight, but will probably go with the Williams FP with target knobs. I'll also replace the existing 0.500 inch front post with a 0.570 inch Marble sight with a gold bead. I've not used peep sights much, but am going to start.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Take the rear sight elevator out and aim an inch low--/ see where you end up. I do this with all my Marlins when shooting at 25 yds. YMMV.

Steve

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll give it a try Steve. Thanks!

Reactions: ia1727

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Replaced mine with the standard rear folder and a skinner front sight. Took care of the shooting high issue. If the rear sight is centered you can drift the front sight to solve the windage problem. I scoped mine to check it and going a 1" group at 100 yards.

Papalote.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts