Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 45-70 guys seems more in favor of using cast bullets for hunting. I was curious about the 450 Marlin guys. How many of you hunt with cast bullets in the 450?
What bullet and speeds do you use?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I was right. 450 Marlin guys like jacketed bullets.
I guess it is more of a nostalgia thing with the 45-70 guys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Give it time, someone will chine in. I've seen a lot of guys on here using hard cast for big game.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I agree - definitely folks on here who use cast bullets. I can't remember the guy's name that for sure does but he's on here pretty often.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seem odd that cast bullets are so popular with 45-70 guys but not so with 450 Marlin guys.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I guess not too many guys who go to the trouble of buying a 450 Marlin have an interest in handloading down to the slower 45-70 cast loads that are so popular.

Reactions: lewk416

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thats what I'm thinking BFPGW. I did try some of that 430gr Buffalo Bore and thought my arm was going to fall off. :biggrin:
If you were still pointed in the same direction after you shoot, That's not:ahhhhh: RECOIL!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Bill,

It is not so much nostalgia, but rather that of using a bullet, Wide Flat Nose here, that is extremely effective.

No need to use warp speeds, mid 1000 - 2000fps will simply get er done.

Using a cast bullet in the 450, would be little different then using one in any other cartridge of .44 cal or larger.

Get the correct bore to bullet fit, and develop a good load with a good bullet cast of a good alloy and in the 45cal. something of over 400gr and you simply have an extremely effective tool for taking anything that walks North American and most of the rest of the world.

The 465gr at 1650fps from my 45/70 is so awesome on deer and elk, that I wish I would have started this journey at a much younger age!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 4 different cast bullets for hunting with my .450 Marlin.

350gr Ranch Dog
400gr BABore GCHP
420gr. BABore GCWN
420gr. Ranch Dog

Any one of them would kill anything on the continent. The 350gr has been used on deer. VERY effective. The 420gr Ranch Dog actually shoots better in my rifle than the 350gr but the 350 is a bit flatter shooting. Still working on finding "The Load" for the other two. I've got enough points to draw the Michigan Bear Tag of my choice so when I decide to make the move, it'll be one of the BABore bullets up the pipe.

I have a couple hundred RP 300gr. JHPs on the shelf. Also very effective on deer- maybe too much. Loaded to 450 velocities it is really destructive. It's designed for .45-70 TD velocities but if I'd wanted a 45-70 TD I would have bought one.

To me there's just something special about taking game with bullets you made yourself in loads you developed yourself. The 450 (and the 45-70) are calibers that are perfect for big, heavy cast flying hammerheads! :biggrin:

I also have a Lee 400 PB mold that I load to about 1000-1100 fps. Great loads for plinking! Very accurate, soft recoil, inexpensive and fun to shoot. It would also be an effective hunting load but the trajectory is more mortar-like than I prefer. It's kind of wild to shoot at the steel deer we have on our range (88 yards) and hear "Boom.....Whack!" LOL

John

·
Registered
792 Posts
I really hope the 450 gains some ground in popularity. Not in a position yet to start reloading again however the 450 will definately be on the list. I have two 45-70's and one 450 that I took out for the first time this year. Love it, love it, love it!!!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
lewk416,

As good as the 450 is, it will always be like most of the Short mags that were all the rage a few years back. An also ran.

With a modern lever action, a bolt action or the modern single shots, the 45/70 can safely be loaded too close to the 450 to ever make it highly popular.

Please understand I am in no way coming down on this fine cartridge or those that like it, but there simply is not enough difference to really make it highly popular.

It is not alone however, there have been a bunch of cartridges brought out within recent years that are in the same boat.

Doesn't make those cartridges bad, but it will make components more difficult to come buy as years go by.

Just try and find some of the short mag brass for some cartridges. Even .444 brass is almost impossible to find and it will likely be produced before any of the short mag brass is again made.

If you find any new 450 Marlin brass, buy a bunch.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found seven boxes of the full length cases in Hornady 350 JFP ammo last year when I bought the gun. Since then I have gone through three boxes and assorted reloads. I was set to use factory 350 JFP for hunting season this year again but changed my mind and sighted the gun in for a Speer 300 JFP over top a full charge of Re7. It clocks 2129 fps and shoots right around 1 1/2" group at 100 yards.

Around me, I can find the LE ammo but not the full length stuff (350 JFP) at a reasonable price ($35-40) so I keep the remaining four boxes as a reserve. Who knows when I will run into a fellow 450 guy who needs ammo. I have never seen just brass. I know of a shop towards Gettysburg that had ten boxes of the 350s in stock but he wanted $50 a box. Too rich for me.

As CDOC stated, components are sometimes hard to find for these fine, but odd-ball, guns. If you shoot one, you just need to always be on watch for components. Of course that can be taken too far as evidenced by the 300+ 50-70 cases I have. Including over 100 new, unfired Bell cases. Or the 600+ Hornady .338 200 JFP bullets, or... Well you get the idea.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Bill,

I can see your point with the 50/70 as that may be a bit more exclusive club and limited market. However, with most components, it is hard to have too much or too many.

I figure it is a lot like money in the bank only better as money in the bank is simply a piece of paper with a promise to pay more paper, while many components have hard fast value. Trade em for a sack of spuds or a couple dozen eggs or -----------

Well you get the idea. Hard to make that trade with a piece of paper.

Wish you lived close, as I have a 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast bullet that your 450 just might love.

Way better then the 300 something "J" bullets and there is little need to push to the 2000 plus velocities.

Took one deer with a 355gr WFN cast bullet at 2300fps from my 45/70 and I never want to see that big of a wound channel again.

Can't see that a light for caliber bullet at over 2000fps would be any better from the 450 Marlin then it is from the 45/70.

Yep, we just might have some fun if you lived close by! :flute:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I feed my 450 a steady diet of cast. Usually the only time I shoot jacketed is to get those pesky jacketed bullets out of that nice factory brass.

405 grain non gc over Trail Boss or Tin Star
425 grain Bear Tooth Pile Driver Jr. over IMR 4198 or Varget
525 grain Bear Tooth Pile Driver still in load development.

I will end up with a 45/70 also, it's just that the 450 happened to show up first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts