Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason i am asking is because there is a chance i may be moving there in the next year. I dont want to leave Michigan as i have lived here all my life and love it. I really dont know anything about Arkansas. Any info would be greatly apreciated. Whats the weather like, hows the hunting, what types of hunting are popular there, gas prices, ccw laws etc...

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mr. Joe said:
The reason i am asking is because there is a chance i may be moving there in the next year. I dont want to leave Michigan as i have lived here all my life and love it. I really dont know anything about Arkansas. Any info would be greatly apreciated. Whats the weather like, hows the hunting, what types of hunting are popular there, gas prices, ccw laws etc...

Thanks for the help
The mosquitos are so big, they have carnal knowledge with the turkeys ... I was told that by a native Arkansan.

I have an ex-wife from Fordyce, AR that you are welcome to ... :lol:

Bill

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mr Joe

What part of Arkansas are you moving to? I live in NW Arkansas in the Fayetteville area. (Bentonville actually)

The terrain in Arkansas is very diverse depending on where you are. It varies from Mountains in the North West and North Central, to flatlands in the East Central and South East, to rolling hills in the South where it is much like northern Louisiana.

I would describe the weather here as moderate. In the NW we will get a couple of snows and maybe one ice storm each winter, but generally they only last a couple of weeks each and the snow/ice melts away. Temperatures in the winters can get down into the teens and sometimes drop a little below zero, but for the most part stay in the 20's / 30's. The summers provide high temps in the 90's and at least in the NW will very rairly get over 100 degrees. Humidity, compared to Louisiana where I'm originally from, is negligible.

Hunting and fishing here is great. There are literally thousands and thousands of acres of Public land to hunt with these public areas scattered all over the State. We have deer, bear, hogs (I took one last year), turkey, small game, a very limited Elk draw and in the eastern and south eastern part of the state some of the best duck hunting in the world. There are also lots of lakes and rivers with many, especially in the tailwaters of the dams, holding good populations of trout.

Gas here is currently running a little over $2.00 a gallon.

We do have a conceled carry provision, but I really don't know much about it. I really need to get off my behind and get mine. Just recently bought a little Tarrus 2" barrel snub nose in .357 for a conceled carry. Dang that thing is loud!! and kicks like a mule.

"The mosquitos are so big, they have carnal knowledge with the turkeys" Hummm?....maybe thats why we have such a good turkey population?.... :shock:

In some parts of the state that is a true statement...LOL But I've been living in NW Ark for 20 years now and could count the number of mosquitos I've seen on one hand.

It may not be Michigan, but if you like doing things outdoors, I'm sure you will come to love Arkansas as well.

firstshot
--------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Mr. Joe -

Don't have enough time to tell you all the good things about Arkansas (some not so good also :roll: ). In 1957 I enlisted in the USAF & couldn't wait to get away from Arkansas. Traveled the world for 20yrs and by the time I was eligible for retirement from the AF, I couldn't wait to get back :wink: .

Have some great hunting & fishing here. Lots of small game, whitetail deer, turkey, black bear, & even a very limited elk hunt. Fishing for most freshwater types & I believe the world record German Brown trout was caught near Heber Springs, AR a few years ago.

Arkansas has a "Shall Issue" concealed carry law. Requires several hours of classroom training plus range qualification, State Police background check, & then your license is good for 4 years, easily renewable. Another good thing, your CCW serves in lieu of an NICS check for firearms purchase in the state due to the SP B/G check. IOW you can select your gun, show your CCW, fill out the 4473, pay your money and you're out the door in just a few minutes.

Weather runs from hot, muggy summers, to generally mild winters, depending on part of the state you're in. The mountainous NW usually has more snow (what little there is :p ) and maybe cooler temps.

Lots & lots of public hunting/fishing areas including 3 National Forests, several National Wildlife Refuges, and a "whole bunch" of state game management areas.

Gas prices usually average a few cents less than the national average, again depending on where you are in the state. The NW corner is normally a little higher but here in central AR regular unleaded is around $2.15/2.20 per gallon right now.

Folks are generally friendly & helpful but you run into Azzholes just like everywhere else :evil: .

Check out this website www.agfc.com for hunting/fishing information.

PM me with anymore ??. I'll try to find some other internet websites with more info.

Looks like Firstshot posted while I was typing, He's right on, you'll like it here :!:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The town is Harrison. I really know nothing about, and honestly i dont evan know what part of the state it is in. It does sound like a nice State though. Im glad it has similar CCW laws to Michigan. If i have to move, i will sure miss our BRUTAL winters(you grow to like them) and the U.P.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Harrison is nice town located in the northern part of the state, just west of being northcentral. It's a small town by some standards. Population is probably about 12,000 by now. Beautiful country. Quite a bit of cattle farming in the Harrison area. Rolling hills to small mountains.

I lived in Arkansas for 12 years and the northern half was/is my favorite part. Live close to Springfield, MO now. Nice country, but it's not Arkansas.
Good Luck if you have to move. And don't sell all your winter clothes. There will be days when you need them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Arkansas

Wish I lived in the Ozarks...Harrison is not far from Branson, MO, just up the road from Dogpatch, AR. Harrison is growing fast so...get a grub stake now. Methinks you may throw rocks on Michigan after a visit...maybe not...but maybe so....

·
Registered
688 Posts
There are many places that would be worse than the Arkansan Ozarks. It is nice country (even if it isn't home).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mr. Joe said:
So Harrison is in the Ozarks? What are the Ozarks like? Any exotic game to hunt there?
Hillbilly's ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm from heber springs Ark,just south of hillbilly country.The Ozarks are rolling hills(compared to the Rockies or Appalacians)Many fishing streams and lakes.All the hunting you can want,get you a place in the country build a blind on your back porch and go hunting,many do it that way now we have went and got lazy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh as I was writting the last post in my game stand by the tv a Sguirrel I'v been watching for the last three weeks eating my apples in one of my apple trees had to share the tree today with a ****,he put up quite a fuss but the **** got an apple.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Fullchoke said:
Stillwater said:
Mr. Joe said:
So Harrison is in the Ozarks? What are the Ozarks like? Any exotic game to hunt there?
Hillbilly's ...
Watch it, Buddy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes the urge to do something like that, is uncontainable -- especially when you're a long time kidder like I am!

Or, is it Mountain Williams that are exotic ... :twisted: :lol:

Bill

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So harrison is in the Ozarks? I hope so, i have lived in the boonies all my life and dont do to well in cities! Though I unfortunitly now live in Detroit...Go figure!

·
Registered
153 Posts
This thread has been hilarious to this native (not many in Arkansas these days. :lol: )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts