Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a brick of Aguila Super Extra 38 grn HP but have never shot this manufacturers ammo before. I understand that they are made in Mexico. Anybody here shot this brand and/or particular flavor? What are your impressions?

(Brick @ $39)

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I've shot a Few 50rd boxes of the stuff & I have had Very Good results.
Seems to be quite Accurate & Consistent in my Bolt action Winchester.
Don't know how well it would work in a Semi Auto Action (Don't Own One)
Seems like Good Ammo to me & Ya Can't Beat the Price.
I say, Make like a rodent & Gopher It.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: neptune

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I buy all that I can find... they are the only ones that make a essentially silent .22 round, using a 20 gr bullet and no powder, called Super Colibri, which I use for squirrel hunting in the backyard.

Some folks say Aquila smells bad. I've never noticed.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
$39 for a brick of Aguila is a good price?

OK

If it keeps you shooting then go for it. I've had no problems with their product (I too like the primer only loads for my old RSS5X) but $39 for a brick of anything short of full on target stuff is not good.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Bought 500 super match for the model 60, didnt do what the box said, the CCI Stingers tho not rated as fast as the Aquila, out preformed them hands down

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Aguila is good stuff, made on Remington equipment in Mexico.
Everything I shoot likes it.
$39 a brick is a good price for Aguila. It's hotter than bulk
Federal, Winchester and Remington.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I was able to get some Aquila in 9mm and in .380 FMJ/round at a reasonable price. It worked. Went boom every time, ejected properly, hit where I aimed it (just wish my aim was better!). Clean up was normal, like using WWB, Federal or Remington reloads.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
39.00 for a brick of the Super Extra is not good when compared to the bulk boxes of federal or Win white box and several others.

From what I have seen recently though I can attest to the fact that the OP is not being gouged @ that price point.

For whatever reason Aguila has been higher than most other brands

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Worst .22 ammo ever (rebuttal)

Very Senior Member - OFC

According to the only real authorative study done on .22 Cal, "A Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition" by Steven Boelter, Aguila use Eley priming technology (which they pay for), and Eley manufacturig equipment, installed by Eley (or Eley contractors). Many of their ammunition boxes have the Eley name on them.

Short of using Eley, I find that Aguila gives the closest approximation to the IDEAL .22 Cal. ammunition. I use it in my S&W Model 41, several S&W .22 Cal revolvers, my sons' 10/22, and my Winchester Model 52's (old .22 Cal target rifles). I have not had a problem with either Eley or Aguila; never had a misfire with them. Working at the rifle range, I see a tremendous mount of .22 Cal ammunition fired and the best is usually Eley, with Aguila close and Wolfe target coming in third. People do complain when they have problem, and the only complaint I have heard about Aguila is the same as for Eley and Wolfe: TOO Expensive!

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi
Good stuff. Accurate and reliable in all my guns. Like Eley, it gives off a superglue smell from the fired primers.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I haven't tried Armscorp ammo yet. It's from the Philippines and my wife is from there.
It seems to cost a bit more than regular ammo as well. Probably the shipping.
If I find some locally I'll try it.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
I didn't say it was bad ammo.....but $39 for a brick of Mexican ammo is not a good deal. I'll stick to the Federal, Remington, and CCI bricks for $22-28 locally when they pop up or even 225 Goldens for around $11.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have quite a bit of Aguila .22 ammo. I have bricks of standard and high velocity and also the subsonic. It all runs just fine in my Model 60. The unjacketed bullets deposit a bit of lead but that's easily cleaned out of the bore.

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
I have some of the 60 grain sub sonics and they are very accurate and do a lot of damage because they usually tumble when they hit small game.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I guess where you live you can buy cheap ammo but up here a box
of Federal depending on the brand is going to cost you
about the same if you can get it.
I haven't seen a 500 brick of CCI in a dogs age.
I've seen the small gun stores charge $17.50 for 100 rounds of CCI.
They are so overpriced they always have it.
The other stores don't get in a large variety of 22LR.
You buy what you can.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It does indeed STINK!, they must use Chihuahua turds watered down with Tequila for powder!, haven't ever shot enough of it to see if it shoots good?, after about ten rounds your all but puking your guts out from the STINK!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Most 5.56 ammo smells like cat piss to me.
I haven't noticed any bad smells with the Aguila
that I have shot, nor any other 22LR.
I guess I'll have to pay more attention.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I can get a brick of Aguila Super Extra 38 grn HP but have never shot this manufacturers ammo before. I understand that they are made in Mexico. Anybody here shot this brand and/or particular flavor? What are your impressions?
Like any .22LR ammo made, some rifles shoot it better than others. The Super Extra HP comes in Subsonic and HiSpeed. The subsonic shoots exceptionally well in my three rifles, and my daughters two, and neither of our 10/22's seem to have feed/eject issues with it. The HiSpeed stuff is like any HiSpeed ammo I have, shows more variability from rifle to rifle. My Ruger VBZ, exceptional, My Savage BV, not so great. The BV doesn't shoot any HS amo great, so that is no surprise, My daughters Savage FV-SR shoots very good with the Aguila HS ammo.

Before the shortage hit full crash mode, I tried several versions of Aguila, from the Standard Velocity RN to the Super Maximum and Interceptor and the Colibri CB ammo. It has become my go to brand for the future. I think I have about 10K in various versions, all good stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts