Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a S&W 9mm 3rd gen to go with my Camp 9? since they all take the same magazines.
Post some photos , show me what you got and what you like. What model should i get?
saw a 6904 blued for $350 yesterday comes with 2 12 round mags and it was from 1989 with squared trigger guard

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
S&W 915 and 910s are so called econonmy models of the 3rd gen. The 915 is the better one, economy steps on it are the decocker/safety on one side only, and the frame is not machined forward of the trigger guard. Nothing really economy about the 915. The 910 is a later version and has a plastic sight, plastic guide rod and magazine release. Both are often found, especaiily on GB in very good shape inside your price range. My personel range/comp 9mms are 915s, a very satifisfying pistol. These are full sized pistols with aluminum frames.

S&W 910.jpg

·
Super Moderator
23,569 Posts
I have a 1968 West German P-38 that goes very well with my Camp 9. I have several 30 round mags for my Marlin and don't really need a S&W.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah seems like the camp 9's are coolectibles and fetching a lot of money these days.
The easy gun to get is the S&W as there are thousands of them for sale for around 300/400 bucks.
Good luck in your search. Gunbroker seems to have a bunch for sale lately starting at $500.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was thinking about getting a S&W 9mm 3rd gen to go with my Camp 9? since they all take the same magazines.
Post some photos , show me what you got and what you like. What model should i get?
saw a 6904 blued for $350 yesterday comes with 2 12 round mags and it was from 1989 with squared trigger guard
They are accurate little pistols

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
A KelTec Sub 2000 9mm carbine weighs just 7 oz. less than their collabable SU16C in 5.56mm. I have shied away from small capacity pistol rounds (9mm, .40 S&W. .45acp) in carbines. The barrel length adds little velocity unlike a .347, or .44 mag in a carbine. JMHO, the only thing you gain is a longer sight radius.

My rough and ready 9 is an old Ruger P85. 18 round mags from MecGar, it's a beast of a gun. The Ruger version of a gun built like a tank. NEVER fails. Got a set of Uncle Mikes grips and I'm done.

The only thing beautiful about her is her strength, capacity, and reliability.

AC

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A KelTec Sub 2000 9mm carbine weighs just 7 oz. less than their collabable SU16C in 5.56mm. I have shied away from small capacity pistol rounds (9mm, .40 S&W. .45acp) in carbines. The barrel length adds little velocity unlike a .347, or .44 mag in a carbine. JMHO, the only thing you gain is a longer sight radius.

My rough and ready 9 is an old Ruger P85. 18 round mags from MecGar, it's a beast of a gun. The Ruger version of a gun built like a tank. NEVER fails. Got a set of Uncle Mikes grips and I'm done.

I have a Ruger also. Mine is a P94(40cal.) and it has the Hogue rubber grips and 11 round factory mags (from a P-91). They are unstoppable guns imo

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I need to get the pistol, I have the Camp 9 and about ten of the 10, 20, 30 rd mags. I have looked at a couple at gun shows but (pardon the pun) haven't pulled the trigger and bought one yet. ;D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up a used 915 to go together with the 9mm, great handgun.
I ordered some Mecgar 17rd magazines, they are flush in the 915 and protrude about 3/4" out the bottom of the Camp Carbine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been looking for a Marlin camp 9 for a long time. I recently found one online, it is my first online gun purchase, the sale and transfer went well and the gun was as clean as advertised.

I went to the local gun store and bought a S&W 5904 in fair to good condition, $399 for it. I went to the range with several brands of 9MM and shot them both for the first time. Both feed well with no misfires. I like the 5904, it is larger than any 9 mm pistol I have owned before, but I have big hands and it was comfortable to shoot and worked well.

I did learn that the standard Marlin 12 round Camp 9 mags do not lock into the 5904, but the longer 5904 15 round mages works fine in the Camp 9.

A friendly voice on this forum explained to me that obviously the shorter mags will not fit in the longer mag well, thank goodness for shared knowledge.

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
I had the 45 and 9mm both. I shot 45 some and it would take 1911 mags. My Bro cried until I let him have the 9mm, his 9mm S&W is a 39. I don't know if they work in carbine but there were 4 mags with it when I got it. I wish I had kept the 45 it would be the ideal gun to put a suppressor on. I know a guy that has one on the 9mm and if you are standing back from him a bit you don't hear the gun the wack of bullet hitting the target tree drowns it out.

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
I remember a time in around 2006 a buddy and I had a little pistol caliber carbine challenge. He had a slick looking Camp 9 and I had a beat up KT Sub 2000. It wasn't even a sweat .... the next week he was so embarrassed that he sold the Camp 9.

It was a few years later after I started re-loading and understanding more about bullet to bore fit that I figured out why his Camp 9 was key holing and/or poking spray and pray patterns. If I'd known then what I figured out later, I'd have had that Camp 9 for $150. I still haven't explained to him what would have made that gun a shooter.

jd

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw a post on another firearms website that said a camp9 is only worth $550 today. LMFAO ....... A well used one maybe?
All the good ones I've seen started at $600 and went up to $900 for a NIB one.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
A camp 9 and a WWII Nazi proofed P-38. Plenty of mags/ammo for both so I guess I am good to go. Have other pairs also in various calibers that will work. Marlin Midget Magnum and Ruger old model single convertible six comes to mind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts