Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Anyone have a S&W 9mm to go with their camp carbines?

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  256WinMag 
#1 ·
I was thinking about getting a S&W 9mm 3rd gen to go with my Camp 9? since they all take the same magazines.
Post some photos , show me what you got and what you like. What model should i get?
saw a 6904 blued for $350 yesterday comes with 2 12 round mags and it was from 1989 with squared trigger guard

#2 · (Edited)
S&W 915 and 910s are so called econonmy models of the 3rd gen. The 915 is the better one, economy steps on it are the decocker/safety on one side only, and the frame is not machined forward of the trigger guard. Nothing really economy about the 915. The 910 is a later version and has a plastic sight, plastic guide rod and magazine release. Both are often found, especaiily on GB in very good shape inside your price range. My personel range/comp 9mms are 915s, a very satifisfying pistol. These are full sized pistols with aluminum frames.

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

#3 ·
I have a 1968 West German P-38 that goes very well with my Camp 9. I have several 30 round mags for my Marlin and don't really need a S&W.

Reactions: gunscrewguy
#5 ·
Yeah seems like the camp 9's are coolectibles and fetching a lot of money these days.
The easy gun to get is the S&W as there are thousands of them for sale for around 300/400 bucks.
Good luck in your search. Gunbroker seems to have a bunch for sale lately starting at $500.

#10 · (Edited)
A KelTec Sub 2000 9mm carbine weighs just 7 oz. less than their collabable SU16C in 5.56mm. I have shied away from small capacity pistol rounds (9mm, .40 S&W. .45acp) in carbines. The barrel length adds little velocity unlike a .347, or .44 mag in a carbine. JMHO, the only thing you gain is a longer sight radius.

My rough and ready 9 is an old Ruger P85. 18 round mags from MecGar, it's a beast of a gun. The Ruger version of a gun built like a tank. NEVER fails. Got a set of Uncle Mikes grips and I'm done.

The only thing beautiful about her is her strength, capacity, and reliability.

AC

#11 ·
A KelTec Sub 2000 9mm carbine weighs just 7 oz. less than their collabable SU16C in 5.56mm. I have shied away from small capacity pistol rounds (9mm, .40 S&W. .45acp) in carbines. The barrel length adds little velocity unlike a .347, or .44 mag in a carbine. JMHO, the only thing you gain is a longer sight radius.

My rough and ready 9 is an old Ruger P85. 18 round mags from MecGar, it's a beast of a gun. The Ruger version of a gun built like a tank. NEVER fails. Got a set of Uncle Mikes grips and I'm done.

I have a Ruger also. Mine is a P94(40cal.) and it has the Hogue rubber grips and 11 round factory mags (from a P-91). They are unstoppable guns imo

Reactions: gunscrewguy
#15 ·
I have been looking for a Marlin camp 9 for a long time. I recently found one online, it is my first online gun purchase, the sale and transfer went well and the gun was as clean as advertised.

I went to the local gun store and bought a S&W 5904 in fair to good condition, $399 for it. I went to the range with several brands of 9MM and shot them both for the first time. Both feed well with no misfires. I like the 5904, it is larger than any 9 mm pistol I have owned before, but I have big hands and it was comfortable to shoot and worked well.

I did learn that the standard Marlin 12 round Camp 9 mags do not lock into the 5904, but the longer 5904 15 round mages works fine in the Camp 9.

A friendly voice on this forum explained to me that obviously the shorter mags will not fit in the longer mag well, thank goodness for shared knowledge.

#16 ·
I had the 45 and 9mm both. I shot 45 some and it would take 1911 mags. My Bro cried until I let him have the 9mm, his 9mm S&W is a 39. I don't know if they work in carbine but there were 4 mags with it when I got it. I wish I had kept the 45 it would be the ideal gun to put a suppressor on. I know a guy that has one on the 9mm and if you are standing back from him a bit you don't hear the gun the wack of bullet hitting the target tree drowns it out.

#17 ·
I remember a time in around 2006 a buddy and I had a little pistol caliber carbine challenge. He had a slick looking Camp 9 and I had a beat up KT Sub 2000. It wasn't even a sweat .... the next week he was so embarrassed that he sold the Camp 9.

It was a few years later after I started re-loading and understanding more about bullet to bore fit that I figured out why his Camp 9 was key holing and/or poking spray and pray patterns. If I'd known then what I figured out later, I'd have had that Camp 9 for $150. I still haven't explained to him what would have made that gun a shooter.

jd

#19 ·
I saw a post on another firearms website that said a camp9 is only worth $550 today. LMFAO ....... A well used one maybe?
All the good ones I've seen started at $600 and went up to $900 for a NIB one.

#20 ·
A camp 9 and a WWII Nazi proofed P-38. Plenty of mags/ammo for both so I guess I am good to go. Have other pairs also in various calibers that will work. Marlin Midget Magnum and Ruger old model single convertible six comes to mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.