Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking to try some different manufactures for bullets. i have seen that zero makes an affordable fmj ball for the .45acp but i cannot find them anywhere.

i also looked into montana gold and precision delta.

basically it seems that no one really has any stock

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I've used Midway for close to 30 years, but I'm careful about what and when I buy. I still compare prices and only pounce when they really have a good deal. Since I'm a long-standing customer, they give me things like "Special Birthday Pricing" that I take advantage of, and try to combine sale prices with them.

But it's hard to take advantage of sale prices and specials when they're out of stock on everything I want! Birthday pricing or not, I ordered my 2000 45 bullets from Graf's instead. They'll be here tomorrow. Midway couldn't offer me a better "in stock" date than the middle of next month. :p

If you're interested in cast bullets, finding a local caster is usually a LOT cheaper than having them shipped. If you're willing to buy the mold, he might make you exactly what you want for less, and some guys will offer a choice of lubes. A little haggling can go a long way! ;)

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I used Midway for years as well. But it seems like everything I want from there now is out of stock with no backorder allowed.

Might have to take a look and see if Grafs has 357 Silvertips.

ETA: Just checked. They've got the 44s, but not the 357s.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Does Powder Valley charge for shipping? Their prices look pretty good! 8)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Grafs is always my first choice. 5$ handling fee and free shipping with good supplies makes it an easy choice.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I just got a shipment of bullets from Graf's today, and a surprise...................there was a pair of full-sized 10X BSA binoculars in a separate box that I didn't order. They were on the invoice.........no charge. Who told them my birthday's coming up? How thoughtful! :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah is like to have a good source on jacketed and plated rounds. I shoot indoors at my lgc so I'm afraid of cast as our ventilation system isn't the newest. I was going to give zeros a try but everytime I go to rozes they are always out of stock. Then there is precision delta but there always out of stock. Both of them have great prices on .45acp and rozes has great deals on .380 ball. But I might give Montana gold a go. The offer prices on jacked about what I buy my rainier from Natchez with shipping for. Now I just have to save.$303 for 2000 fmj rn 230grn for .45 acp or $177,per 1000. They add $5 shipping fee to residential and free to a business. Too bad I spent all my bullet money at the gunsmith.

Oh yeah thats awesome what grafs did for yah pj. Best I've ever done was midway was thoughtful enough to send me a happy birthday email with no coupon. Haha owell

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
PPJ,
An email is sent out to everybody and every business by the Social Security Administration whenever a person is approching their 100 birthday !!! ;D ::) :-*

Hip

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh BTW pj, I figured out the binocular deal. After checking graf's website they are offering a fee pair of bsa binos to orders over $200

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have looked at berries but have heard mixed things from them. I shoot rainiers currently. I just want to make sure I gave a good product.if I order 2000 from Montana gold its only about $10 more per 1000 for a true jacketed vs plated

Also if anyone didn't know you can call and ask for shane at rainier and he will send you samples of bullets they make. It's nice to try them before you buy them. And ill take free lead any day

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I paid a total of $280 for 2K 45ACP slugs, 200-grain plated SWC's. 14 cents a head isn't that bad. But I can remember when I used to pay four cents a head for the Remmy 158 JHP's. It sucks to be 100 years old. ;)

Here's the best deal I know of, I found it right after I put in my order.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

$103/1000 for the Berry 45 slugs.........not bad!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But what does shipping run. They don't have an estimater

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you are interested in Berry's plated bullets, go check out their website.
http://www.berrysmfg.com/
Many of their bullets are shipped free of charge.
M.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well im really liking powder valley. i ordered up 1250 230rn for the .45 and 1000 100rn for the .380 last night for just over $200 shippied. its pretty cool, they use ups flat rate boxes for shipping and give you to about 65lbs as the girl explained so they still have room for packing material. i would have ordered more but didnt feel like paying for another flat rate box so i just ordered what would stuff that one. i believe for their powder orders they ad a $25 hazmat fee on top of the $12 flat rate box although im not quite sure on that aspect. but im glad i got turned on to them.

now to find someone that has more bullets for the .35rem. i guess what i really need to do there is start figuring out a budget for a casting setup. i have access to an unlimited supply of wheel weights

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
mebe007 said:
I have access to an unlimited supply of wheel weights
Hey old buddy, old pal..........

If I had that kind of source, I'd be ordering casting equipment too! I have a casting setup, but limited sources for lead. When you're casting for the bigger calibers, 50 pounds of lead doesn't last long. :p

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha well i dont mean unlimited, but as long as mu buddies tire store stays in business i should be fine. i just have to get what i need for casting some point this summer. it seems like casting gets expensive quick as far as start up goes. i would just want good stuff from the start to not have to make too many duplicate purchases

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
My casting setup currently consists of a 20-pound Lee bottom-pour pot, a bottle of Alox, and a couple of molds. None of the bullets have required sizing, though I may get a lubri-sizer from Ranch Dog down the road as more moulds accumulate.

One of the moulds is a Lee 6-cavity tumble-lube in .451", the other is a Lee .309" 113-grain double cavity model. I cast them, lube them, and load then. Simple is good. 8)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts