Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Anyone have a 336Y Spike Horn?

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  450 Sniper 
#1 ·
Any one of you guys (or gals) have one of these?
I have been looking for one for my son and I cannot find one anywhere.
His Mossberg 500C Youth model fits him perfectly and he's old enough to go deer hunting now...................

If you got one I would love to see some pictures.

If you got you you want to sell, PM me.

;)

#3 ·
I don't. Just got a Winchester Ranger Compact though. 16" 30-30, straight birch stock, Angle Eject, 12.5' LOP including the rubber butt pad, and the best part........5.25lbs. Downsides are the crossbolt and it has been fired. Almost a whole box through it....lol.

You can get a slug barrel for those little 500's.

#4 ·
I saw them listed again. I am looking for an older one.
If I can inspect the 'new' one first I may buy one.

He shoots rifled slugs out of it now. I would put his max range at 50 yards.

I figured a little 30/30 would produce less recoil for him.

#5 ·
six_gunz bought one for his youngest, think buba killed him a black bear with this, last September? I'll try and get him to post a pic or two?
Steve

#6 ·
That'd be great, S.B. ;)

#7 ·
Here ya go 450.

I bought this Spikehorn for my son when he was 7yrs old from a member here at MO's.

Last March he turned 10 and was old enough to hunt Maine for his first big game hunt. He got his first blood to hit the ground August 31st on a black bear.

It's set up with an XS scout mount, Leupold scout scope and a Skinner rear peep. These pics don't do the furniture any justice. It's absolutely beautiful in person.

This pic shows it with the scope it came with, I added the Leupold and Skinner after I bought it.

#8 ·
WOW! What a sweet little rig.

Pretty cool to get a black bear for your first game on the ground.

My son and I might be moving to South Western Montana (Missoula area) next month.

Lots of Whitetails. ;D
Not to mention Buffalo Bore has a new 30/30 load.......a 190 grain Hawk bonded core bullet.
If I can get my paws on a 336Y for him, it just might have an elk or even a moose on it in a year or so (of course I will back him up with my 450!).

Thanks for sharing.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I don't know if you only want the older one's, but Buds Gun Shop has some in stock. Hope that helps.

#13 ·
Nice!

;D

#14 ·
450 Sniper said:

The feet or the guns? ;D

Building one is the more economical way and several on here have went that route. The value of the 2003 spikehorns keeps
going up though, so I say if you can affors to buy one then go for it, they're going to be worth a lot of money later down the road,
if you can't then do like Gaterskinner did and build one.

#15 ·
I looked at the one on GB.

I'm going to take a chance and buy a new one. I can have it sent to my FFL from Davidsons.

#17 ·
I bought this one from Bass Pro in Ft. Lauderdale when they first came out in 2003. Got it for $299, as a substitute for out of stock Winchester 94 that was in their flyer.
At the range the other day, with my 170 grain hand loads, I was getting less than one inch groups at 100 yards, and 2100 fps.
The scope is an older Redfield 1-4X 20mm tube.

This is a very accurate rifle, and has put a lot of pork and venison on the table.

#22 ·
Your killin' me, BM! ;D

I've got too many guns to buy and not enough $$$! HAHAHAHA! Life is too simple for me.

Work, hunt......Work, hunt........Work, go fishing...........

The joy of being a single Dad! ;)

Good lookin' hog he shot there.

#23 ·
Big Med,

That's pretty awesome! A hog hunt is one of the next hunts I want to take my son on with his spikehorn!

The head on that almost looks like a Javelina.

#24 ·
six_gunz said:
The head on that almost looks like a Javelina.
I thought the same thing. That would be a heck of a javelina! Don't think they have them in OK (???).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.