Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if any of our members has one. I'm just kicking around the thought myself. I think it would be a fun caliber for plinking and hunting. I use to have a Remington auto loader in 243. I have only taken 3 deer with the 243. Most shots were under 50 yards except one that was 200 yards. I have never lost one with a 243 but have had a couple of misses due to bullet deflection in thick woods, but have had the same problem with my 270. I don't like a lot of recoil and think this would be nice for coyotes also. I might get out of the house a little more often if I had a fun gun and do my share with predator control. I see more 243 Ruger NO 1 locally than 7x57.

I have heard a few complaints on accuracy of the No1's. Which year models should I shy always from.
Is a 1 in 10 twist rate good for this caliber.
Also I have heard complaints on eye relief with these rifles. Are the problems due to scope length, I most likely use a Bushnell Dusk till dawn 4x12x40 or a Nikon 4x16x40 if they make it.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I do not have a No. 1 in .243, but have used a .243 on Coues deer, Mule deer, Whitetail deer, Pronghorns and one elk, a truck load of coyotes and other critters. I did use a Ruger No. 1 in 7x57 on whitetail deer, mule deer and antelope. I think a No. 1 in .243 would be an ideal deer rifle with proper bullets. (Nosler Partition IMHO).

I have shot a few prairie dogs with a No. 1 in .256 Newton. (Don't ask, some of my friends like rifles chambered for non standard cartridges).

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Gabby - I don't have a Number One in .243, but love that cartridge and the competing 6mm Remington. Number One rifles have been produced in both.

The 1:10 twist is fine for most bullets. It won't be happy with very long bullets like the 105 gr Hornady A-Max target bullet. That thing is looong! Does stabilize in my 1:9 twist 6mm Remington. With the 1:10, most 100 gr hunting bullets stabilize, and if they don't, many companies offer 90 and 95 gr hunting bullets that will.

Yes, the scope mounting can be a problem. Might work for you. It's sometimes difficult to get the scope far enough back towards the shooter for proper eye relief.

There are work arounds:

1. Use a variable power scope. The variables almost always have a much longer ocular end, bringing that eyepiece back closer to the shooter.

2. Use Ruger's offset rings. They move the scope back about 3/4" which is plenty.

3. Combine the two! A variable with generous eye relief AND the offset rings.

Don't shy away from the Number One, it makes a great hunting rifle!

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Gabby,

I don't have a #1 in 243, but have had several 243s and a number of #1s but just not at in the same firearm.

RIGHT OFF, I'd second the use of the Nosler Partition or a bullet of equal integrity for game.

Currently using my OLD RUGER "Flat Bolt" .243 for fuzzy vermin with a Nosler Ballistic Tip 55gr.

Pink mist time.

I have loved the .243 ever since the 50s when a guy handed me his Model 70 and a bag of hand loads and told me to shoot.

I'd never seen that much un-boxed centerfire ammo at one time and in one place.

Sat down on the back step there in Eastern Oregon - lived 7 miles from the nearest neighbors - and started shooting at the rocks on the ridges above us.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Have loved the #1 since I saw the first magazine ad for one.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I am bound to figure out which rifle to buy come tax season. I do know I want another single shot rifle. I may still buy a Sharps, but I'm not fond of heavy bore calibers. I am 5 ft 8 and only weigh 162 lbs on a good day. I have shot a lot of big bore guns and frankly just don't appreciate them. A 243 would be a minimum cartridge for me 7x57 probably my first choice. I'm okay and really like 270's, but I already have 2. I like the 7MM-08 but they are rare in Ruger no1's. A 30-06 is fine hand loaded to suit me, but a factory load of 95 gr. 3100 fps 243 is great and easily bought over the counter. I still haven't made up my mind what I want. Every time I see a Sharps of almost any type they just call my name. The Ruger No 1 has been a favorite since I was a child. I also have a preference to Thompson Center Encore's and I use to have one in 7MM-08. That was one gun I hated to sell but did so as a necessity. If God blesses me for another year, there's always 2016 tax season.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Have not had accuracy issues with my #1s, but for years now I have three point bedded and then floated the forend.

Also Didn't have accuracy problem before those days.

But then all my hunting rifles bolt or single shot are floated. It is S.O.P. around here.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Gabby, one of the Sharps builders in Big Timber Montana (two are there) has the .30-40 Krag cartridge available... I'm thinking I might go that way if I ever bought a Sharps... Lovely little cartridge with plenty of suds for deer at reasonable ranges.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Hi Gabby
I have a #1 in 45-70 and im having the issue right now of Eye Relief or as I say, "Too Short'a Neck"...
I like the #1 a lot but haven't got it rigged up yet so I can shoot it with heavy or even light clothing and get a good sight picture with a Leupold 1.75-6 scope....?

Now for the other question of the 243...

Getcha One you won't be disappointed! I have a couple, 1 Heavy bbl for the TC, and a 16" for TC.
My Browning A Bolt in 243 is just Awesome IMHO. I LOVE the 243 and the A Bolt is Crazy Accurate with factory and my handloads (100gr PT & 70gr BalTip)
I have been wanting to build an ultralight rifle in a short action for an All Around hunting gun and the 7/08 or 308 on my 700 action will get done someday, BUT until that day comes my 243 will do ALL I need it to do as long as I use the right bullet and poke it in the Correct Spot!
I truly believe that if a good bullet is used that is loaded right AND ACCURATE, Ain't Much it won't kill if I do my part... I just had UPS drop off today a Bell and Carlson stock that I'm gonna put the A Bolt in and it will be just a little better than it was (for harsher weather/moisture etc)
I have it rigged now with a Nikon Monarch 3 or 4? 4-16 but also will be setting it up for QR Rings and have a Leupold 2-7 for Big game/back up or just lighter weight when not looking for Chucks or Dogs etc.... I went on a caribou hunt back in 86' and took my 243 for a backup gun with my 30 06. a friend of mine along on the hunt,( there was 16 of us in 2 diff camps) had a pump 30 06 and it jammed up on the 1st day. I gave him my 06 to use and I used my 243 with Rem 100gr Corelokts to take my Couple few :flute: caribou.... That little gun has done things where I just look down at it and SMILE :) ! Really the ONLY thing I wouldn't really want to try it out on, would be a Grizzly/Brownie!!!! Wouldn't want to,but if its all I had and he was a coming, I'd hope to be Accurate that day (Soiled Britches & All) LOL.....:shot:I think in my heart that it's capable to do it ALL..... But I'm not a "Gun's a Blazing" kinda guy (Love my single shots) so I believe in 1 Precisely Placed Shot, 1 Dead.Critter!!!! :tee:

Getcha a 243 Gabby, you'll either LOVE it or HATE IT!!!!!? That's the usual consensus on the MIGHTY little gun.....

Well that's it. I just put down here how I feel about the MIGHTY little 243, and I have been wanting to start up a thread and get these few thoughts/points out and see who feels like I do about it, and who Don't....:questionmark::tee:

Good Luck Buddy & keep us posted....:congrats:
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Nosler ..i second and third that .
NO .. i do NOT have a Ruger #1 in .243 ( just wishes i did )
meself ..? I'm thinking of a rolling block 45/70 ....
black powder ....
wishes i could find a lone star .. for 300.00$

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My computer has gone wacky again. Last night it allowed me to thank posts and stayed on track. I was able to thank a few post on this tread today, now its not allowing me too. Just checked and I am logged on. The 243 is a fine little round. Yes it has it limitations but a real hunter has to know these limitations and deal with them. After missing several bucks at less than 40 yards I realized you can't always see limbs or twigs that are between you and your target with a scope. I never have understood this phenomenon. I once had a huge 9 pointer come out of the marsh and bed down right under my tree. I could see him but knew if I tried the shot I most likely wound him and loose him. I waited until he left about 30 minutes after dark. My buddy killed him a few days latter with his 243 Mohawk Remington. That buck resides now on his wall. LOL. Someone mentioned a Sharps being made in Montana in 30-40 Kraig now that would be nice. Taylor Arms makes one in 30-30 that would be cool also, but its a Half Pint Sharps and only weighs about 6 lbs. That little fellow would probably kick like a 10 lbs 45-70. I sure wish the Lyman 1878 was made in one of those caliber's in a 10 lbs rifle.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Gabby,

By your definition, my RUGER #1 "S" 45/70 would be a real light weight with it's 22" barrel.

Yes there is some recoil, but for hunting it's not felt and on the bench where most of my shooting occurs during load development, I use a sissy bag just like I do for almost everything above a .243.

I have shot a considerable amount with 355gr Wide Flat Nose cast bullets above 2000fps and as high as a bit above 2500fps, hunting with 2300fps loads.

Because that load/bullet did not give the desired consistency and was EXTREMELY devastating, making a huge wound channel, I have gone to a 465gr WFN at 1650fps which is just so much better in all respects, including recoil.

So the point here is, fitted with a good recoil pad on a rifle that fits the shooter, a sub 10lb 45/70 is very shootable.

The only time mine has hurt me was prior to scope mounting when the low head position required to use the iron sights proved to be very painful with the butt stock battering the face but then, a .44mag Marlin lever gun was painful until I increased the stock length with a good/thick recoil pad to get my thumb away from my nose.

Don't figure I'm recoil proof by any definition, but really enjoy my short and light #1 - 45/70, and a .243 would be a dream come true.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
368 Posts
A friend had a #1V in 243. I shot it a few times, very accurate. The 1V or Varmint has a medium weight 24" barrel. I have a 1V in 223 and find that I wouldn't want to pack it very far. I have seen them in a 1A model, 22" lighter weight barrel. If I win the lottery, I will get a 1A in 243, much handier to hunt with. My 1V isn't going anywhere, too accurate to lose, great for ground varmints in a large field.
FM

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have had 3 no. 1 s 7 mag. 416 rigby 45/70
All were good shooters.
I gust got awhile back a CVA scout in 243.
Haven't had much range time but if it shoots anything like my last one it will be a tack driver.
The longest shot I ever took at a deer was with my old 243. And it dropped in its tracks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a No. 1 .243 about six months ago off Gunbroker. . Like you, I had reservations about the accuracy of that model from what I'd read, but I went ahead and bought it. I put a Burris scope on it before taking it to the range. I can't emphasize enough how pleased I am in the way it shoots.

Sighting in rifle in at 50 yards with the new scope, It took just two shots to get it on zero. Thinking that was pretty good, I moved the target out to 100 yds. The first shot verified that it was on target. I shot a total of 7 shots at 100 yds. and the group was 1.5". Being 70 years old, I'm sure This could be tightened by someone with better eyes.

This rifle is a beauty with highly figured wood. But as I told the guys shooting next to me, I was really more pleased with its accuracy than the looks. Hope this helps.

Neal

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just curious if any of our members has one. I'm just kicking around the thought myself.
I've had four. Still have the No.1 B in .30-'06 I bought new back in 1987 and the Tropical in .375 that I traded a different No.1 for a few years later.

I see more 243 Ruger NO 1 locally than 7x57.
I would be leery of a No.1 in 7 X 57. The poorest shooting M77's I've seen happened to be in that caliber. The only really bad groups I ever saw come out of a No.1 were from a No.1 A chambered to it.

I have heard a few complaints on accuracy of the No1's.
So have I. I got my first No.1 -a "B" in .270- in 1983 when I was 19. I took it out of the box, cleaned it, mounted a 2-7x Leupold to it, and sighted it in with a handload of a 130 grain Sierra SPT over a full dose of IMR 4350. And it grouped the first five shots in to a 1" circle.

The "B" in .30-'06 I am still shooting now delivers 3/4" groups as a matter of routine shooting Sierra 165 grain Game King HPBTs over a middlin' charge of 4064. It groups around an inch with 180 gr. Partitions over a full charge of IMR 4350. So I'm not complaining. I've never done anything to the rifle other than mount scopes to it and clean it and shot it a lot.

Which year models should I shy always from.
I dunno. All of mine I've had were made in the 1980's. The first one had a rough interior barrel finish and was prone to quickly copper fouling and was a PITA to clean. Ruger eventually solved the problem to my satisfaction. Even with that roughish barrel, the thing still shot pretty good for the first 10 to 20 shots.

Is a 1 in 10 twist rate good for this caliber.
Why wouldn't it be? It was the "standard" for quite some time. A tick faster 1:9 would handle 105's. I don't think a 1:10 will do so all that well. But the "big bullet" in .244" was the 100 grain for decades and 1:10 will stabilize that with no problemo.

Also I have heard complaints on eye relief with these rifles. Are the problems due to scope length, I most likely use a Bushnell Dusk till dawn 4x12x40 or a Nikon 4x16x40 if they make it.
This certainly can be a problem. When a scope has the turret centered between the rings on a No.1, the ocular lens will be father from the butt of the stock than it would be if that same sckpe was mounted with the turret centered between the rings on an M77 or any other bolt action rifle using conventional over-action scope mounting. It's not snobbery that causes you to see a lot of Leupold and Zeiss glass mounted to No.1's. Those scopes have fairly generous and non-critical eye relief. I always used Leupold 2-7X variables on mine, mounted in the supplied rings, and never had an issue with eye relief or having to crawl the stock to get a sight picture.

But I DID have a problem when I swapped for a newer 3-9 Leupold and tried to use it above 7X. At issue here is a kind of optical version of Ohm's Law, wherein if you change one of three things, two of the others are going to change, too. In this case, cranking up more power makes the eye relief shorter and eye alignment more critical. In my case, I couldn't get comfortably or quickly close enough to the scope to get a good sight picture through it with the power cranked up beyond 7X.

The solution for me was re-mounting using Ruger's offset scope rings that bring the ocular nearly an inch closer to the butt of the stock or my eye. Problem solved.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I have a No-1H Tropical in .416 Ruger magnum. Yes - the "old style" design is pretty - but - IMHO the stock design is not the "best" for heavy recoiling cartridges. With a lighter kicking round it should be okay. I've zeroed my irons at 50yds which is about as far as one would expect to shoot a round like that. I ended up putting a Limbsaver pad on it and have the barrel ported but I haven't shot it much since given ammo costs and availability. I have 2 bolt action .243's. They are okay medium range guns on deer sized game but I bought my girlfriend a 25-06 to give her more range/flatter trajectory. She has flattened whitetail with both calibers. :flute:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts