Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a JM CB in .45-70.
Only had it out once so far, shot a nice group with 10 gr Unique/405 cast. Shot a few with 50 gr H4895, won't be doing that again!
So now that reality has set in, I realise that I'm gonna be running this pretty slow. I like the idea of a barrel sight with lots of elevation adjustment.
I have a tang sight on my 1894, it's ok, but I would'nt drill my Marlin for one.
Anyone have 1st hand experience of the Smith Enterprise barrel sight? I'm close to buying one.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don't know if we talking bout same model of Smith sight or not --but I bought an used H&R 1871 38-55 that had a Smith folding ladder sight on it--(ladder folds down & buckhorn sight comes up-----worked good 200 yds or better-------100yds just would not adjust low enough-----buckhorn use w/ globe front sight that came on rifle just didn't work out right for me------previous owner musta gotten kinda rough on adjustment as elevation notches in side wore down & after a few rounds would slip down to shorter range positions-------all in all they worth the $$$$ if ya gonna be 200 yd or better shooting!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
That's the kinda thing I was looking for. The Buffalo one mounts different, but I think the ladder is the same. I had read other complaints that the ladder does'nt stay put, but slides down with recoil. Can the ladder be set and tightened in place? There's a little screw on the side, I'm wondering if a guy could set his notch sight for 100yds, then flip up the ladder and have it set for 200.
I do like the look of the sight and the simplicity of it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm thinking the little screw is exactly for that ---set ya range & tighten screw------thinking what happened to mine & probably other folks also is readjusting range w/out loosing screw up-----& that'll wear off edges of little ridges that elevation piece is supposed to lock into!!-----------mine only has opening in elevation bar to sight thru---always thought it shoulda have an eye appature to sight thru-----course mounting further down the receiver/barrel on a lever rifle might be totally different thing!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just read the description on Buffalo Arms website, they say it can be locked in place. So for serious hunting work, you could play around with the height of the front sight/shim the rear sight to 100 yds. Then flip up the ladder, find the best setting for 200yds and tighten the screw up.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The one I had left me wishing for more/better sight. It isn't very precise or repeatable. Well, for me it wasn't, much prefer a good tang sight. For about the same money you can buy a Lee Shaver. They are decent enough. Or for a "bit" more the MVA is a great sight. Steve

·
Registered
348 Posts
Looking at my Buffalo catalog ---they showing 2 types------Smith Marlin Rear Sight------looks to be for standard ranges & a Smith Enterprise Buckhorn rear XLR----which is described as for extra long range-----ya'd definitely have to use the buckhorn on it for 100 yds-------which if ya got a post type front sight orta be o.k.-------but for me buckhorn & globe front sight just didn't mix!!-------and as Steve is pointing out there are other choices-----everything has its up's & downs------everything I got now has Marbles tang sights on em!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.