Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that Gunblast and others highly recommend it. After the initial investment, it should save greatly by using everyday solid points...such as the Federal Champions...
I did make one of my own and it seemed to work very well but I should get the genuine article

www.leverguns.com look for acurizer...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
IG: I bought two if these tools a couple of years back: one for myself and another for a friend. I used to belong to the Cast Bullet Assn with Paco Kelly years ago and thought I'd try my luck with his tools. I wasn't pleased. The ammo was less accurate than the factory issue and the fit on the tool componets was sloppy. I was disappointed. I ended up boring out the brass part of the unit and using it for a bushing on ... something. I don't miss the thing.~Andrew

·
Registered
688 Posts
Andrew said:
IG: I bought two if these tools a couple of years back: one for myself and another for a friend. I used to belong to the Cast Bullet Assn with Paco Kelly years ago and thought I'd try my luck with his tools. I wasn't pleased. The ammo was less accurate than the factory issue and the fit on the tool componets was sloppy. I was disappointed. I ended up boring out the brass part of the unit and using it for a bushing on ... something. I don't miss the thing.~Andrew
Yours is the first such report I've read.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Maybe I got some Friday at Five units. Truly, they were badly built and the accuracy wasn't anything to speak of. I still have a box of Wolf Match that got Pacoed and not shot because of poor performance. ~Andrew

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also bought one a while back. Machining was OK, lots of tool marks, but not anything that would have affected functionality. I tried re-forming several brands of ammo, but had difficulty forming them consistently. So I re-formed a bunch of ammo, then sorted them to get consistent batches.

After a lot of testing, I could not identify any real improvement in accuracy in any of the guns I tried, but some did shoot worse. The tool is supposed to make bullet diameters more consistent, so out of curiosity I measured the diameters of a bunch of different rounds and found them to be remarkably consistent to start with, even the cheap stuff. Finally, I asked myself the question, "Why an I hitting live ammunition with a hammer?"

I sent it back and my money was cheerfully refunded, so no complaints there. Others have tried it and liked it, so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The only tool to butcher .22's with is the old Hanned Line Flat Pointer. It was expensive and well built and did greatly improve the killing power of .22 round nose ammo, as I have shot at least a dozen squirrels with such rounds and they really do work well. Subsonic HP's work well too, but I have a few late model 39's that don't like Aguila or Remington Subsonic HP's but shoot great with flat pointed ammo made with the Hanned tool. I wish someone would make it again, I have been asking local machine shops, but most of them don't want to tackle it. Anybody making copies of the old Hanned tool out there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
-
I have the Hanned Line Tool also, and love it. I use it mostly to flat point Wolf MT ammo.
This combo works great in my Marlin 81T.
Don't think anyone is making the tool now, though. - :cry:
-

·
Registered
40 Posts
Think the tools usefullness depends on what you want it for. Me I like it for hunting squirrel. I want a animal to die quick and not tear the meat up. I have been shooting solid point Wolf match target. I put a hollow point on it to hunt with. That way I get a little more weight on the bullet with the hollow point. I found it does not hurt the accuracy for what I need (improve accuracy- no differance). I am getting nice long shots on squirrel in the head. Normally knocks the squirrel spinning off the tree. Do not get then stuck on the branches anymore. Also does not seem to tear them up so bad as the high velocity stuff. Lets face it, it was not made to hunt deer with, but for small game it does let me use a heavier bullet with a hollow point or wadcutter type nose. Also on **** it does make a nice whappp sound when it hits. Have made many ***** head snap back with it. Use CCI solid nose to make **** rounds. Everybody has a different opinion on what ammo they like to use for different occasions. Me so far, I have liked it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
kastx makes a very valid point, only a demented child hits a bullet with a hammer, i think i was 12 last time i did it :shock: .
I used to shoot rabbits for the export meat trade, so they all had to be head shot. I never once had one of them stand up and tell me my power points weren't good enough straight from the box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts