Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 336 JM stamped 30-30 that when I took apart I found this inscribed on bolt. Any ideas? I thought maybe someone did it to identify if it was stolen. 20140324_171507.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Hey Bio,

Welcome to MO.

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
All the bolts I have seen have had some sort of number scribed on it. Although, your picture shows the sloppiest markings I have seen.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
should be the last four digits of the rifles serial number... they looked to be scribed by hand with an electric pencil... IIRC, used to make sure the bolt and receiver stay together through final assembly... others with more knowledge, please correct me if I am off base here.

Welcome to MO!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
They are the last 3 digits of the rifle's serial number. (And a letter, which I don't know what it means)

Bolt-Engraving.jpg

There are many like it, but these ones are mine... 012 from a 1981 336C with an extra "B" and 154 from a 2000 336M with an extra "D".

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Bolts were hand-fitted for proper headspace; then numbered to the gun frame so that the correct bolt was reinstalled during final assembly after all parts were finished. That flat surface on the bolt is where the serial number, or a partial serial number is marked on the early Marlins I have disassembled; and like a previous poster noted, I haven't seen a marking done that sloppily.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Here you can see the corresponding letter on the receiver, a "B" on the 81 336C and a "D" on the 2000 336M:

336-receiver-marking-B.jpg 336-receiver-marking-D.jpg

(Click on picture to make bigger)

There are no scribblings or engraving on my Remlin, with that I surmise that Remington doesn't give a flip what goes with which.

·
Premium Member
11,744 Posts
I have seen it on at least one of mine and was not sure what it was but did not pay attention to the numbers. I will check next time I clean mine to see if they match the serial numbers. Sure enough I would have never noticed. I had my 1953 30-30 on the table and checked it. It is an A.

·
Premium Member
11,744 Posts
Without taking the bolt out it does not look like my 1952 has it on the bolt. I am guessing it is worn off like much of the bluing. It could have been replaced as well. I know my Glenfield has the markings as I saw them last time I was cleaning it.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys thx for the info again! I appreciate the welcome and quick response. This place is a wealth of knowledge that I will use to enjoy my first marlin. I have it all apart polishing a few parts and ironing out a couple of dents. Looking really good. Hope to have it done tonight!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hey guys thx for the info again! I appreciate the welcome and quick response. This place is a wealth of knowledge that I will use to enjoy my first marlin. I have it all apart polishing a few parts and ironing out a couple of dents. Looking really good. Hope to have it done tonight!
Ahhhhh grasshopper...........if you catch the Marlin bug you'll never be done,

This is where it all starts:ahhhhh:Marlin's are like potato chips...you can't stop at just 1

·
Registered
86 Posts
Both of my remlins has it a 336c in 35 and a 336 w in 30/30 .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts