Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some odd behavior, even for cats, who are known to take weird to a whole new level.

I have a number of guns. I shoot them as often as possible, and dry-fire them a lot too. The more they get shot, the more they need to be cleaned, but I'm not as meticulous about it as I used to be. So between the guns I'm handling, or cleaning, or getting around to cleaning, there are usually guns laying around a lot. And for whatever reason, the cats seem to like being close to them...........or ON them. Ammo too, I have bags of brass and bullets all over the place, waiting to be tumbled or primed or loaded or whatever. And fairly often, when I want to grab something to work on, I have to get a cat off of it first. Anybody else notice their little psychos doing this kind of thing?

One thing I'm sure proud to see...........they both have good taste. They seem to prefer the N-Frame Smith & Wessons! :D

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Those are knda cute, maybe its the gun oil.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
From the pictures I have seen of your area they don’t have any choice but to lay on guns or reloading supplies. ::) ;D

Cody the dog in my avatar will not lay on the gun but if I am out Dove hunting he will guard the gun and the doves that he has brought back in and put behind where I am setting. The people that I hunt with know not to touch either one or they will get bit or at least a show of teeth. ;D

·
Registered
445 Posts
The two in my house will park their carcasses in/on ANYthing that has human scent on it: dirty clothes, clean clothes, sofa, bed, pillow... Well, you get the point. The only time they get "run off" is when they're spread out across the bed or my part of the sofa. ;D

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Nightfisher said:
From the pictures I have seen of your area they don’t have any choice but to lay on guns or reloading supplies. ::) ;D
+1 ;D ;D ;D 8)

·
Registered
633 Posts
This cat shoots straight!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Just need to keep them out of the cooking pans. ;) ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Maybe... It's a Freudian thing, and the cats are all over your firearms, ammo, reloading bench, etc. because they know it's the only way they can get attention from you? ;) ;D By laying all over your stuff, they are smart enough to know that at some point they will get picked up, petted, or spoken to.

I wish my wife acted more like your cats, and laid on my stuff, but she doesn't want me speaking to her, petting her, and I don't think I can pick her up anyways...

Just Sayin'... ::)

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Too funny! I don't seem to have guns out long enough to find out. My cats' favorite target for laying on seems to be clean laundry. Nothing seems to please them more than getting fur on freshly laundered items.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
DWB said:
Maybe... It's a Freudian thing, and the cats are all over your firearms, ammo, reloading bench, etc. because they know it's the only way they can get attention from you? ;) ;D
Had a dog that every time I threw out my A and B bags to deploy, he would lay on top of them and my gear and spread his carcass as far and wide as he could to cover as much of my gear and bags as he could. He did NOT want me to leave for long periods and knew when the deployment bags came out, I was headed out for awhile.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Fortunately from the sidelines; Cricket (my avatar) tends to chew on anything, so he always gets pushed away. Anything plastic or rubber is in trouble, much less leather and even wood! Mowgli is not so bad, he's just happy to be somewhere near the action and catch a rub behind the ears occasionally. The reloading bench has to be off limits. Too many times knocking cases out of the loading blocks and skittering them across the basement floor for me.
Alot of nice looking animals here. Love dogs but travel for work too much, my son doesn't mind taking care of these two four-legged idiots (I mean that in a nice way).

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also love dogs but cats are so much easier, and a lot more entertaining..............usually without trying to be. Sometimes just the way they sleep is enough to crack me up.

Or the places they like to be................

But especially the way they fight and run around like their butts are on fire!

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Hehhehee, hilarious pics, PJ. In my observations, cats just like to sit on new things, cleaned things, or recently moved things...hopelessly curious.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
papajohn said:
I also love dogs but cats are so much easier, and a lot more entertaining..............usually without trying to be.

Or the places they like to be................

Ah the sink! One of mine loves the sink too. I'll have to see if I can get a pic of the hairball clogging the sink up!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
vegasguy said:
Too funny! I don't seem to have guns out long enough to find out. My cats' favorite target for laying on seems to be clean laundry. Nothing seems to please them more than getting fur on freshly laundered items.
And as soon as out of dryer too.. yep ;D

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tish (aka Morticia, my Goth Kitty) sleeps in the sink as much as anywhere else. It's just big enough to fit her ......um........broad backside. ;)

She's also a bit of a camel. If I leave the water trickling for her, she'll sit there and drink for twenty minutes. Right before she coughs up a lung, all the food she's eaten in the past six hours, and a tiny little hairball. :p

I think she's anorexic/bulemic.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Good lord, certainly must be a Feline thing as my dogs scatter when I grab a gun or anything that "clicks" like working an action on a arm. If those cats are gonna handle those pistolas, you need to take 'em and get their concealed carry and give 'em some proper training PJ, boy, you don't know how to do nothing right, do you? ;D ;D

Ps. Enjoying those pictures, keep snapping my friend!! .DT

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
.DIRTY-.THIRTY said:
If those cats are gonna handle those pistolas, you need to take 'em and get their concealed carry and give 'em some proper training PJ, boy, you don't know how to do nothing right, do you?
Now that's funny!

Yup, cats sleep in the oddest positions:

They really just don't care:

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
I always like the line I read on here once that dogs have owners and cats have staff. Cats always gave off that more of a associate and partner in crime than my canine companions. Either way you can't wrong with furry, feathered or finned friends, I guess scaled are ok too. ;D .DT

1 - 20 of 42 Posts