Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys,
Was wondering if anyone else has one....I have a Standard Modell that dates to '34, all matching numbers, with an old Bishop stock on it......Love the rifle, step down barrel and all. I am in need of a base and mounts for it. It is drilled and tapped, but those didn't come with the rifle. Leupold makes them just though I would see here first. Then its to the loading bench to get to its full potential. Pics soon to follow..........

·
Registered
759 Posts
I shot two of them Friday - one is a GEW 98 and the other is a Yugo M24/47.
Trying to use up my 1953 Yugo surplus ammo! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
23,664 Posts
I shoot a ~1950 Yugo M48 with iron sights and hand load my own ammo. The rifle probably spent all of its life in cosmoline--it has no wear marks on it that I can see.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
I have owned quite a few of them over the years. I always said that if someone made a modern 8mm that I would buy one then Remington made it in their 700 Classic and I did not ever own one of them but I sure would like to. My fiends DAD had a 98 Mauser that he hunted with exclusively and he killed lots of deer with it.

·
Super Moderator
23,664 Posts
I thought that was a requirement to join marlin owners
You had to own at least one 8mm and one 303 brit.
Not quite--one has to have numerous 35 Rems.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have two 7.92x57 rifles; one Yugo Mauser and a converted Manlicher straight pull. The 8mm is a fine cartridge, fully as capable as the 06.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I have a sportified PersianMauser Model 98 (Brno), 1938 date of manufacture in 8x57JS with the original military stepped barrel. It is extremely accurate and when I made my first attempts at reloading I developed some loads using Varget powder and the 175 grain sierra Pro Hunter bullets. I was amazed that 3 out of the five loads gave me 3 shot groups all under 3/4 inch. I have since started using H-4895 for the 175 grain Sierras and IMR 4350 for 200 grain Nosler Partitions. The barrel on the Persian carbine is only 18.5 inch so I look for powders giving me the most velocity within safe parameters. The Hodgeon on line reloading data show good 8x57 performance loads with the H-4895. Recommend checking it out! I have read that Mauser utilized the step barrel design as a means to reduce, or neutralize, the barrel vibration harmonics resulting in improved accuracy! They look like old design, but don't be fooled. They shoot very well!

CJ

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have shot the Privi ammo with the 196 grn bullet. I have since gotten the dies, have powder and heads all on hand. All I need now is good scope rings, and I will mount the Nikon 3-9 on it. From what I have read, the "Standard Modell", was Mausers commercial 98. With a 22" barrel, stepped down of course. The name was given to get away from the stigma of being a war munitions manufacturer and did it ever take off. Mine is all numbers matching from '34. I purchased the rifle 5 years ago, for 200.00. When I got it, my friend Dino, owner of Majestic Arms, went over the entire rifle, jeweled the bolt, installed a low profile safety, and re-blued the entire gun, of course as my friend. What a beautiful looking rifle. In any event, I shot it the other day, Saturday, with a BSA Deerhunter scope on it, which I was given, and aside from the scope staying 6" to the right, all 5 groups of 3, were as Jinx said, under 3/4". And the 6" to the right is probably my fault because the mounts are the twist base type with screws on the back mount to move the entire scope in line with barrel. Don't know if it is...I'll have to remedy that one. That was at 90 yards. So I am a happy camper. On another note, I got the bug last night so did a little reading up on the 8mm.....seems its ballistically superior to the 308, and can be handloaded to just about match the 06. I too would love to find a modern rifle in this caliber. Ruger's 77 was offered in it a while back. Here is my rifle....... IMG_0442.jpg IMG_0443.jpg

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have owned quite a few of them over the years. I always said that if someone made a modern 8mm that I would buy one then Remington made it in their 700 Classic and I did not ever own one of them but I sure would like to. My fiends DAD had a 98 Mauser that he hunted with exclusively and he killed lots of deer with it.
I bought my 700 Classic in 8x57 new, and it has been my main hunting rifle since. No regrets.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I own one of the Rem 700's in 8mauser. It is an amazing shooter, took my deer with it last year. 170 grain bullet and imr 4064 did an immediate stop to a full-rut buck. When I bought the rifle, it came with an aftermarket plastic stock. Was able to source a vintage BDL stock and bedded it, put a triggertech trigger in it and did away with the J-lock. That caliber started the search for the other MM's. I had owned milsurps, but the Rem is out of this world.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
There used to be a big gun shop in my home town and the owner got his start while in World War 2 while he was a armourer in his outfit he heard of a bombed out German train, so he got a big truck and drove to the train which was full of 98K parts. He proceeded to fill up a bunch of buckets with the parts and mailed them home and later when discharged he sold mail order 98K parts. He said that when he returned home there was 8 buckets still by his mailbox that his father had left with weeds grown up around them. It seems that his father had got tired of hauling the buckets to the barn so he just left them by the mailbox.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I had one that wasn partlt sporterized.

I had one that was partly sporterized. Bought it many years from a gun store for $60. Hunted with it for years and took a few deer with it. I aquired more rifles and it sort of fell by the wayside, so I donated it to a group looking for rifles and hunting equipment to take disabled veterans hunting.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I just picked up a Yugo m48 the other day, complete with bayonet and several boxes of commercial ammo. If I ever start feeling a little better from this cold, I'm going to take it to the range.

Reactions: rob42049 and Merle1

·
Premium Member
15,321 Posts
i have a Remington 700 Classic in 8mm

also have a Ruger M-77 in 7x57

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
I have a sporterized Siamese Mauser in 8mm and a 1909 Argentine in 7.65mm. I also have a sporterized K98 which was converted to 35 Whelen and a Bruno sporterized with a short 20in barrel in 35 Whelen.

Reactions: rob42049 and Merle1
1 - 20 of 41 Posts