Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gents,
I was wondering if anyone else out there has a fondness for the 16ga? I have 2. A 1951 Browning Sweet 16, which came with a solid rib, AND, I also have a japan barrel with interchangeable chokes including a turkey choke!! Lucky me, I got that barrel brand new, still in the box for 125.00!!!...albeit, a number of years ago. This is my all time favorite shotgun. My other is a Fausti Steffano Real 16. It is a 16ga made on a 16ga frame. Not a 12 gauge frame with 16ga barrels. Which a lot of manufacturers do. The real kicker to this shotgun is, its actually a Rizzini! Fausti makes great shotguns, but Rizzini makes shotguns that cost as much as new automobiles. I'm not saying this one does, but its nice to think that the quality is there. Heres a few pics for eyecandy!! IMG_0391.jpg IMG_0392.jpg IMG_0393 (1).jpg IMG_0394.jpg IMG_0396.jpg IMG_0397.jpg IMG_0398.jpg IMG_0399.jpg

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The 16 gauge is the best of the bunch IMO but I have no interest in them because of the shell availability and associated cost. I probably should take up shotshell reloading and dive in one day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 16 gauge is the best of the bunch IMO but I have no interest in them because of the shell availability and associated cost. I probably should take up shotshell reloading and dive in one day.

I feel the same way....it is the best of the bunch IMHO. I have no problem getting shells. Believe it or not, 16ga is coming around again. Browning even makes the Sweet 16 again, albeit a totally different shotgun, but 16 nontheless. Estate makes 16, federal, remington, winchester, fiocci. Its all over. As far as shotshell reloading, I did it for a time, and no, its not cost effective. Not when you can buy 200 rounds for 15.00.....It costs more to make em.. Its why I stopped.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Beautiful shotguns.

I began my hunting experience with my dad's three 16g shotguns, a double SxS hammer, a Fox Sterlingworth from the 30s, and a 50s era 870 Wingmaster. Great guns all. Usually I hunted with the 870, which had been my grandfather's. It had a 30" full choked barrel. I soon learned that if I wanted anything left after I shot, I needed to wait until my target got at least 25 yds away.

Unfortunately the 16g has been orphaned. My dad eventually gave the Fox away, and the 870 was not appropriate for the grouse woods (when I still lived in PA). I still have the hammer double, but it was always in a poor and unsafe condition, not locking up tight. Quite the shame, as it had been a very nice weapon originally, with carved stock and inlaid sidelocks. I'd like to see if I can tighten up the action one day.

But now, my rare excursions to the preserves see me carrying one of my 20 gages, either my Ithaca SxS, or my 870 LW. I've got a few 12s also, modified side-by-sides left over from Cowboy Action and also a defensive pump.

It's getting hard to find 16 ammo, and what can be found is both expensive and of limited variety compared with the 20g and 12g offerings.

Still, the 16 gages were beautiful and graceful. I miss them too.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Yes, 16 Ga is by far my favorite and constitute half of my smooth bores. The other half are 12's. Each has a use from my 1974 Marlin "The Original" Goose Gun (12) to my 108 year old Meffert German Drilling (16/16 over 9.3x72R) that actually sees more time afield than all the others.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
It's my brothers favorite deer tracking firearm. Can't remember what make or model but it's a single barrel. It's also light, powerful, and packs a punch at close range.

Reactions: 256WinMag

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Hey Wrangler - I've never owned a 16 gauge (and shame on me for that, I suppose, as they're a great gauge. BTW, those are two DANDY examples of the 16. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
15,320 Posts
16 gauge has always been my favorite

Ithaca M-37 16 ga. Deluxe.jpg

·
Registered
13,124 Posts
I never had a use for 16g shotguns. The only ones I've had that I liked were European SxS birdguns that felt like 20g. I'm not sure if I own a 16g. If I do it's a single barrel. Not enough difference with 12g to fool with. I've only got a dozen repeaters left, all 12g and two 20g. Got some assorted run of the mill singles and BAs in assorted guages. They aren't citizens and will be deported on trades as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
I missed a chance at a Browning Sweet 16 a little while ago, that is what happens when I stop to think about it and the next guy doesn't.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have my grandfather's 16ga Ithaca 37R from 1953. He passed in 1987. I begged for it for years...my father finally gave it up when he moved to a retirement community.

So yeah...I also love this in between gauge....best of the bunch for small game as far as I'm concerned. I hope to have it out after squirrels this weekend in NH. Ammo is expensive comparatively speaking...but it is what it is.

redhawk

·
Super Moderator
15,480 Posts
My favorite shotgun is an 16ga Ithaca® Lefever Nitro Special™ SxS circa 1921 (first year production). I've had this gun since it was gifted to me in 1965 at age 15. I hunt with it every year.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Always been a fan of the 16, but my old mid-20's Double Barrel kicks like a mule and is loud as heck. I find myself grabbing another (usually a 22) when a snake or what I believe is a rabid animal is too close to the house (although Black Snakes usually get a pass). I'll still use it when necessary though, lol.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The 16 was, at one time, the most popular gauge among hunters and sport shooters. The 16ga is generally accepted as the best all around gauge. Skeet and trap are most responsible for the decline of the 16gs, with most participants opting to go with the more hefty 12ga payload. The 16 and 12 were lumped together in the same category/class, and the extra payload of the 12 just couldn't be beat. After I get set up for reloading shot shells, I will probably get a 16ga.

·
Registered
13,124 Posts
My Dad was a Trap shooter and bird hunter. He was a shotgun nut too. I didn't follow his footsteps, my Bro did. I have always had a few to hunt with. Bro has all the classics in all the guages they were made in. Things are different now but when I was a kid I don't remember anybody that hunted with anything but a 12g. Some kids had 410 or 20 single barrels. In fact even 12g guns were full choke. Small guage repeaters were rare. Not because they weren't avaiible, people just bought 12g. That translated into the used racks. The 16g guns weren't popular and would bring less than a 12g. I think their was some regional traditions involved in shotgun gauges because I have been in areas where it seemed everyone had a 16g as their dad and grandfather.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I am a confirmed fan of the 16 gauge myself.
I have had a good number of them over the years, but have only kept this one.
Remington Model 48 my Dad purchased new in 1950.
Same long recoil action as the Model 11, and the original Browning Auto 5.
Perhaps a bit dated these days, but still a beautiful and Sweet Shooting Example of Remington quality from back in the day.
I will never part with it.
20170504_191827-1.jpg

1 - 20 of 54 Posts