Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard on another web site to use 38-55 brass in a 375 winchester for more case volume.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Greetings
When I got my first caliber .375 numerous years back there was no brass to be found. So I cut down some 38-55 and it worked fine. I think they were Winchester... but this is some years ago.
I did not do this for extra case capacity. You are not going to gain that much room. Plus I do not load my lever flippers to Max pressures. If I need that extra zip I will get out a bigger caliber.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Mike is correct, your gain would be minimal. Standard 38-55 brass ( 2.082 )will usually chamber in a 375 without the need to shorten. The add .060 case length may give you some additional case volume.

Why would you want more case volume? More velocity? You are obviously shooting jacketed bullets. More velocity will be harmful to cast bullets. More is not always better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I will likely get flamed for this but I have used 38-55 cases cut to 375 length and found that the 38-55 cases weighed 15 grains less than 375's and also hold 3.5 grains more water. I have not split the cases cases open to compare but the logical explanation seems to be that the 38-55 cases must be thinner than 375's to give this difference in weight and capacity. If that is the case , will the case take the increased pressure of the 375 ?

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I'm not a pro on this subject at all. It seems as if most people who are actively shooting this cartridge are using lead bullets. With the scarcity of jacketed projectiles that's what I'm doing. My loads end up not being much more if any than a good stout 38-55 load anyway. It's more fun this way for me anyway.
I did try some short 38-55 brass loads in my 375 the last time out, with poor results. May try other loads in this brass soon.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I have often shot cast bullets in full length Winchester .38-55 brass in my M375s with good results. The loaded rounds drop right in.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

The 375 chamber is .008 larger than the 38-55 chamber so the 38-55 should drop right in. The long ( 2.125 ) Starline brass is too long for the 375 and will extend into the throat of the 375 even though it will drop in. Shooting the long brass in the 375 is not a good practice and should be avoided.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts