Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or cannelure their bullets to fit their LE brass?

The bullets are Hornady 350 RN (4502). The one with 2 cannelures is a blem. 2.72" OAL ain't gonna work. Time to brainstorm. Or just buy some Interlock ammo for the cases. A cannelure tool is only about $70 and I am seriously considering it as a new reloading toy. I have a lot of bullets to shoot up.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Buy the cannelure tool, no more headaches and you can use different bullets! ;D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Better yet, just buy a Lee Factory Crimp Die for around $10.00. Can be set to produce enough pressure to "crimp" a seating grove anywhere on any bullet (cast or jacket) except for copper solids.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
What's interesting in the 444 is that the Hornady 300 gr XTP has 2 cannelures. The bottom one works perfectly with the short LE brass. I've got a box of brass and used them with the 300 gr bullets. Too bad the 450 doesn't work the same way.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm not sure why your doing all that. I load my LE short brass seating and crimping the same making the whole cartridge shorter. At first I was worried about pressure and started low and have worked up with no pressure signs. They feed just fine as well. I would not use a real compressed load but I have had no issue with loading the short brass like that. I have only about 60 pieces of the short brass and use them primarily for plinking but I get great accuracy with them. That being said, my bear ammo is full size brass and I will stoke up the longer brass with a full compressed load where I would not do that with the short brass. Try seating to the cannelure and crimp it like normal. What powder are you using?

·
Registered
209 Posts
From top to bottom, 350 Hornady Factory Interlock, 405 Grain Cast bullet seated/crimped as normal in LE short brass, 420 grain Cast Performance in standard length brass and last is a 300 grain Cast Performance in standard length brass. If you look close you can see the difference in the length of the second cartridge from the top compared to the other three, its obviously shorter. These all shoot and feed just fine.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Armymark said:
From top to bottom, 350 Hornady Factory Interlock, 405 Grain Cast bullet seated/crimped as normal in LE short brass, 420 grain Cast Performance in standard length brass and last is a 300 grain Cast Performance in standard length brass. If you look close you can see the difference in the length of the second cartridge from the top compared to the other three, its obviously shorter. These all shoot and feed just fine.
Which powders are you using for your 450 reloads shown above? I currently load 444 & 45/70 and just picked up my 450.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Which powders are you using for your 450 reloads shown above? I currently load 444 & 45/70 and just picked up my 450.
Isn't it interesting that Hornady now put 2 cannelures on both the 450 bullet and the 265 gr 444 bullet.

Gunner, I load for the 444 and the 450 and I use H-4198. Works well in each, and I figure it would work on the 45-70, as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Gunner, My most accurate load is the 405 GN Cast Performance bullet over 55 grains of H335 with a CCI Large Rifle primer. Reflex says the best is the Federal large rifle primer for accuracy which I had trouble finding for the longest time and I and haven't used them yet. This is the load I'm going after a bear with this year and I get 5 shot 2" groups at 100 yards with a clean rifle. The LE short brass I use 40 grains of IMR 4198 with a 400 grain cast bullet a friend makes for me. I don't know what mold he uses and they aren't real pretty but the cost is real good and they shoot well enough to plink with. I have some other loads but I'm at work and don't have my load log book with me but all of the loads I use are from the Hodgdon web site. I use a 350 grain Swift A-Frame over H322 which is a smoker and have shot less that 2"groups at 100 yards but they cost an arm and a leg. I'll look it up when I get home.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. I currently use 4198 for both 444 & 45/70 over Winchester primers. It's always good to hear what everyone else uses also.

Will be looking forward to the rest of your load info Armymark. Thank you!

Halwg, I didn't know that you picked up a 450, which bullet are you loading in it, the 350gr Interlock?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
209 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Gunner, here is some of the data I collected on loads straight from the Hogdon manual on line.

This one below is 350 Grain Swift A-Frame with a max load of [email protected] yards.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Armymark, great shots and thank you for the feedback/pictures with the load data. Gives me someplace to start. All the groups were very good, some good shooting!

One thing about a .458 dia boolit, don't need a spotting scope to see your hits on paper at 50 yards. Except when you poke one right over the top of the previous shot. Where'd it go?;D

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts
I'm curious how do you guys crimp the short brass

I bought 100 x 1 X fired 444 LR brass but did nothing with them yet
( waiting for better weather ).
I had Lee Precision make me a L.F.C. tool for the LE brass.
I was going to load some 265 gr. FTX with them to see if my 1972 444S could handle them. Now I'm thinking that I can use the LE. brass with the new HDY. 265 gr. FN and crimp it at the bottom cannelure. I'm thinking right now to go to my reloading bench and make a few dummy rounds just to see how they cycle in the 444S.
But if anyone has already try this. Please share your results I would appreciate it.

Here is an idea if you have a 444 or a 44 mag Lee Classic Loader kit you can crimp any length 44 cal case.

TO NY

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Sorry, I use the Hornady dies which crimp the shorter brass just fine, no experience with lee. I use them on the 444, 45/70 and will also on the 450. I buy two sets for each caliber and leave one setup for the LE short brass reloading and another fore full length brass.

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts
It would make sense that HDY. dies would handle both short and full size cases. It's their products. I'm sure all other die companies will follow suite on these cartridges too.

TO NY

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
I use both the Lee fc die and a CH cannelure tool. The CH tool I use on 458mag bullets (Hornady 500gr DGS & DGX and other large stuff where the crimp groove is not in the correct place) and the Lee fc die for everything else. That way I am not restricted to just 45-70 bullets.
That CH tool is really a great addition to the bench.

·
Registered
209 Posts
308/338 said:
It would make sense that HDY. dies would handle both short and full size cases. It's their products. I'm sure all other die companies will follow suite on these cartridges too.

TO NY
I use RCBS dies for my 450, no issues here.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I use my LFCD and the short LE brass. I load it to the same OAL as a standard length brass - no pressure issues and I shoot full house loads.

To get a proper crimp with the LFCD I remove the shell holder and place the round directly on top of my Rockchuckers piston - it crimps perfectly at the rim.

I use H322 and Rem 405's.

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts
I don't have a 450M I have 444 and the full case length is 2.225" on a 444 LE case it's 2.065" .160" shorter

The 450M full case length is 2.100" and the LE case 2.040" .060" shorter.
I guess you can getaway with .060" difference using a seating die crimp.

TO NY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts