Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've owned Marlins, I've always wondered about this.....when you cock the action using the lever, the hammer is pushed well past the point of cocking. If you radiused off the extra metal from the top of the hammer face, would it affect anything adversely? It seems like an easy way to smooth/lighten the cocking action. It wouldn't involve removing much metal, but it might make a good gun even better. Anyone done this?

PJ (Perplexed Jackass)

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
The reason for the "Hammer Bump" is to insure the sear is fully seated on the hammer hooks as the action is closed!.........My advice to you is DON'T MODIFY IT!.......

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not talking about taking a lot of metal off, but I figure if there's an extra .040 of metal, take off half. That should insure full engagement of the sear hooks, yet still slick things up. I'm into experimentation, but not to the point of sticking my neck out past my shell!

Precarious Jurist

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
If you review the distances and "moment arm" from the hammer sear hook to the pivot and then the distance from the pivot to the top of the hammer, you'll see that the top must move a greater distance down to reliably insure the hammer hook is lifted enough to allow positive sear engagement.
This is a little difficult to explain in text, but a sketch and a little math will convince you. When the top of the hammer is depressed .040,.....the hooks may NOW only move .005-.010 in the existing design config......
In going further with this idea of yours, you will be moving toward an unsafe condition!

Tomray
NRA LIFE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts