Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ohio DNR's proposal to allow rifles for deer hunting this fall included a 3 round limit for the rifles. There is talk of eliminating the requirement to plug the mag and put you on the honor system for the 3 round limit. Good luck with that one. Assuming ODNR keeps the 3 round limit, I have been thinking about how to plug my 1895ss. Curious if others have done this and how.

BB

·
Registered
211 Posts
Haven't ever seen a honor system in any state I have hunted ( just six) when it comes to a cartridge limit in any firearm. Not to add to the fog, but I would fill the extra space with a snap cap. I have been in a situation where an officer didn't fully know a law and he had to call in to get clarification on a subject. It was not a pleasing feeling. Good luck and happy hunting. Y'all have monster deer out there!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Depending on how many it holds? Lets say that your 1895 holds 6 in the tube.
Measure what 4 loaded rounds is, than cut a wood dowel that length and install in mag tube!
Trim the ends up and use a dowel similar sized to 4570 rim size. Put in tube and Voila! Lol

That should do it...
Blood

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Haven't ever seen a honor system in any state I have hunted ( just six) when it comes to a cartridge limit in any firearm. Not to add to the fog, but I would fill the extra space with a snap cap. I have been in a situation where an officer didn't fully know a law and he had to call in to get clarification on a subject. It was not a pleasing feeling. Good luck and happy hunting. Y'all have monster deer out there!
Don't think a snap cap would keep you from getting a citation. When they want the magazine capacity reduced it is usually required to preclude loading additional rounds. A snap cap could easily be unloaded and a real round loaded. The wooden dowel or similar is likely going to be required. I would put it in between the spring and mag tube end cap so the original plug is touching the loaded rounds.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Don't think a snap cap would keep you from getting a citation. When they want the magazine capacity reduced it is usually required to preclude loading additional rounds. A snap cap could easily be unloaded and a real round loaded. The wooden dowel or similar is likely going to be required. I would put it in between the spring and mag tube end cap so the original plug is touching the loaded rounds.
I agree, it wouldn't be that hard to make a wooden dowel and put it in. Just make sure to take it out at the end of hunting season, you dont' want to risk the wood getting wet and causing corrosion. Another option would be to take a plastic universal shotgun plug and cut it to fit.

Reactions: GaCop

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
had a shotgun with the dowel used as a restriction...worked great...never had a problem leaving it in....

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Fit the dowel to be able to stay inside the spring. That way it doesn't increase spring tension. And at the muzzle end, the dowel should be trapped aginst the spring end, so that it doesn't rattle by sliding back and forth inside the spring. Say, attach a washer to the muzzle end of the dowel so that it doesn't slide within the spring.

All you need to do really is to reduce the ability of hte follower to travel.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
BB, here in Mo. we have the three round limit for shotguns for hunting. I took a spent 12 ga. hull, drilled out the primer pocket to 1/4'' and stuck in a dowel rod cut to proper length with glue to keep in place. No rattle and could load magazine smoothly. Take care, John

PS, noticed your new avatar, wow, some upgrade from 45-70!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another Ohio hunter here and 45-70 nut. I used my Marlin 45-70 all the time in WV. I sure hope that revision becomes law here in Ohio.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'd just do the dowel inside of the mag tube spring like a shot gun too, better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PS, noticed your new avatar, wow, some upgrade from 45-70!!!
GM

I sent my 45-70 to JES for rebore/rechamber!:biggrin: Ya gotta love a gun (no matter who built it) that is recognizable by it's nickname.

BB

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a guide gun it only holds 4 plus one but on the range I only load the chamber as I like to make sure I get my brass back. But as for hunting I made a dowel for when I use to hunt with my Rossi .357 mag. I seem to recall they wanted a max of 5 plus one at the time. Anyways I got a dowel just smaller then the mag tube for my Rossi 92. Which by the way the end cap came out with one screw. Remember each .45-70 is about as long 2.5" or so loaded with a long bullet. So by three I think you mean two plus one? Like a shotgun for water fowl season? If it passes then a simple dowel is not going to cost much and they often come in about 3 or four foot lengths so you should have plenty

·
Registered
203 Posts
I went to a meeting with the Wildlife Officers in Canton,Ohio. They changed the rule from having snap caps and plugs to now you don't need them.Just make sure that you only have three in your bullet launcher.Now,that is what they said.The Chief from Columbus was there as well.Of course,the use of rifles in Ohio still has to get passed and that is where it stands at the moment.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to a meeting with the Wildlife Officers in Canton,Ohio. They changed the rule from having snap caps and plugs to now you don't need them.Just make sure that you only have three in your bullet launcher.Now,that is what they said.The Chief from Columbus was there as well.Of course,the use of rifles in Ohio still has to get passed and that is where it stands at the moment.
static,

I was at the Findlay meeting and heard the same thing from the DNR, do away with the plugs/snap caps and go to the honor system. I was thinking of plugging my 1895 anyway just so I don't screwup. IIRC, ODNR is supposed to have their meeting to finalize the hunting rules on April 10th. I guess if they change their mind and don't approve the use of CF rifles there will be some deals to be had in Ohio or 444 & 45-70 leverguns.

BB

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Really? they limit how many rounds you can have in the magazine? Do they not know how easy it is to load another round in a levergun? Now that is just the stupidest law I think I have ever heard of..... Do you guys have a pocket full of rounds or do you just go out with 3 rounds in the gun? So I take it you have to limit your mag tube to hold only 2 rounds because you can put 1 in the chamber... Rediculas!

And this is what we pay our representatives to do? make stupid laws like this just to make it seem like they are doing something.... People, Start telling your representatives to start getting rid of stupid laws or you will vote them out of office and replace them with people that will.

Rant over....

Doc

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Having magazine limits has never been a problem for us duck hunters. Since waterfowl is federally regulated, your gun must only hold three shells or less. So why can't a modified shotgun three-shot plug work equally well in a rifle situation? Installed, it doesn't bind the spring and doesn't rattle. Plus it would satisfy any game warden. A simple solution to a simple problem.

Ron

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had previously bought a couple snap caps and if I don't make a plug for the magazine,I still plan to use the snap caps,just so the wildlife officer has some piece of mind if he ever wishes to check my firearm.I figure it is showing him respect and helping to give hunters a good name.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I hope so also. I have been doing my deer hunting elsewhere for 25 years because I'm not a fan of Ohio regulations.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Shotgun magazines need to be plugged to 3 shots regardless of the game you're hunting in my area but nothing for rifles other than semi-autos.
A piece of doweling of appropriate length sanded down so that it fits snugly inside the mag spring coils would work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts