Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know who manufactures the Remington bulk bullets? Actually, I'm curious as to who makes their pistol bullets.

I'd like to find out, because I've got a suggestion for Remington on a new SP. I'd really like to see them bring out a 170g JSP in .357 caliber. I feel like this would be an ideal bullet for deer, especially when fired from a lever action.

I've tried the 180g SJHPs, and they're OK(with the right shot angle), but they still open up too quick in my opinion. The 158g JSPs are exellent, and are slightly better than XTP-FPs, but I believe with just a little more weight, a 170g Remington JSP would be as near to perfect as you could get. With the velocities obtainable, I think they'd give a great ballance between penetrating, and expanding on deer sized game.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Hey Jerry, I read your sig at the bottom of the page....are you a coyote hunter?? And you use the .357 for this?

Just wondering....it seems we may be in the minority here. I use my guide gun when hunting in the swamps of northern michigan due to the bears and cougar in the area. Someday I'll tag a coyote with "Thumper".

Hope you get some help with that question. Sorry to pull you off topic.

Perferator

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I havent killed a coyote with my 1894C yet, but I do use it for the majority of my daytime calling. It's knocked down plenty of foxes, and a couple bobcats. I haven't really tried too hard for our local coyotes, but I'm planning on hitting them a little harder this winter after deer season is over. I got a feeling the old 357 rifle will spill coyote blood this year.

I know that heavy scoped rifles are popular for calling stands, but in my opinion, a good open sighted lever action is pretty hard to beat. This 357 loaded with 125g SPs at 1500 fps really thumps a predator hard, but usually won't make a big exit hole, even on a tender skinned fox. I regularly practice with this rifle out to as far as 200 yards. A predator is in serious trouble if I see him within 100 yards under nearly any conditions, at any angle.

I don't mind being in the minority. We're just in a small group of callers that have figured out what rifles work best. It's the other 40'000 callers that are un-informed! LOL!

By the way; I've also made many a stand holding my faithfull 357 Blackhawk. It's pretty effective too. I've killed a few foxes with it, both day, and night. Night time is extremely hard though, as I have to hold the light, and revolver at the same time.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Yeah, I can just see you hanging onto the light with that handgun at point. :lol:

I just found out last nite that we've got a bear down in the woods behind my house (250yds away). That's where I take the boy after coyote...and we both use .22s. I really prefer having the guide gun anyway. It's great for in the woods and having to get off a shot real quick. Just cant beat the handiness of it. You've mentioned something important that alot of upcoming hunters ignore......practice. Some will grab the super-duper-varmint-blaster with 36x scope thinking guys like us are from another planet or worse. Most of the time it's not in using the most popular rifle but being confident in what you carry. Tell ya what, you hit them with a big bore in a less than perfect spot and they will slow down. :shock:

Good luck on the 'yotes this season!

Perferator

1 - 4 of 4 Posts