1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . reloading for a 38-55 ?

:biggrin:

:flute:

Well, thanks to all you dang enablers, I broke under the pressure and it looks like I've got one on the line.

Couldn't afford it, but barter is a beautiful thing. Giving up one of my older 30-30s and some various factory ammo from the stash, but it looks like in a couple of weeks I'll be an owner of an antique 1893 in 38-55. Then the journey will begin again to find the sweet spot.

Thanks guys!

B

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome to the pool. Come on in the water is fine.
Congrats on a nice find and a good trade.
The journey may be long, but it sure is enjoyable !!!

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Registered
661 Posts
Brian, just go out and buy all the .38-55 stuff you need
and then throw out all that old .25-20 junk. Just to help you
out, I'll even haul it off for you. Congrats on a good deal,
I can' wait to see it. I've got some short starline brass
and a Lee mold and die set, just need to finish a rifle.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Brian, I got some long Starline that's extra. Someone was generous with me, I could be with you. Also have some .379 bullets...Steve

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian, just go out and buy all the .38-55 stuff you need
and then throw out all that old .25-20 junk. Just to help you
out, I'll even haul it off for you. Congrats on a good deal,
I can' wait to see it. I've got some short starline brass
and a Lee mold and die set, just need to finish a rifle.
Mike,

I'm pretty excited about the 38-55. Just didn't think I'd be able to afford a nice shooter grade 1893 until the kiddos were through College. But, I found a good guy willing to do some trading without cash for what he wanted and needed. We both end up happy.
I'm thinning my trading stock over the last year, but I've put some nice ones in the stable on really no budget. Timing is everything they say.

As for the 25-20 stuff, that's all really been claimed by my wife and daughter ( of course I'm in charge of reloading!) so doubtful it's going anywhere. :)

Off to bed, it was a long night at work.

B

Reactions: Sweetwater

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian, I got some long Starline that's extra. Someone was generous with me, I could be with you. Also have some .379 bullets...Steve
Hopefully I'll qualify for the WDRA discount! :biggrin:

Okay, seriously....I need sleep, graveyards are no fun . . .

But dreaming of antique Marlins is!

B

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Soooooooooo---is this one going to end up being "Yours". The word "mine" comes to mind here. Or-----are you going to need to buy 3 more to keep this one as yours. No matter--that's a great problem to have , right ? Congrats---pictures ?

Steve:tee:

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
Hey B,

Good for you. Fun Factor will be really high!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Way to go Brian sounds like you got a great deal. That being said I think the hunt starts all over again for a tang sight. eh

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
. . . reloading for a 38-55 ?

:biggrin:

:flute:

Well, thanks to all you dang enablers, I broke under the pressure and it looks like I've got one on the line.

Couldn't afford it, but barter is a beautiful thing. Giving up one of my older 30-30s and some various factory ammo from the stash, but it looks like in a couple of weeks I'll be an owner of an antique 1893 in 38-55. Then the journey will begin again to find the sweet spot.

Thanks guys!

B
Good for you. Now the journey begins............................:flute:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hey--that's great---welcome to the party----ya gonna love it!!!! (when ya get the right things together)
Yup..............dat dere's da "journey"! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Looks like we sucked another victim into the .38-55 pool. :congrats:

John

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
No kidding. Hope we can all, eventually, be happy with our decision! :hmmmm:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Good morning
There is a task you can do as soon as you receive that caliber .38 rifle. You are going to be told to slug the bore. Well that is OK but the diameter far more important is the throat area. This rifle was made in the BP era. Throats were made fat so follow on rounds would chamber. Soft lead slugs were loaded. BP will "bump up" soft slugs to fill the throat and to get a straight started journey down the tube.

So get a good throat slug especially if you have a vision of good smokeless accuracy. Do not be surprised if it measures .380 and more. I have seen .383. Now imagine placing a .377 hard cast slug in there. Hard cast has no hope of obturating to fill anything. The nose is probably .005 too small so it will randomly enter the rifling from any direction. That bullet will woble all the way wherever it is shot.
Now imagine chambering a bullet of the proper diameter that fits the throat. It starts into the rifling square. Every shot that follows does the same. Shot to shot start consistency is near 100%. Sure is a lot easier on the blood pressure to start out right.

I have learned this through many years of being with BP era cartridge rifles. My oldest are back to a converted 1859 Sharps, caliber 50 Trapdoors, #72xx Marlin Ballard and then others to include the 1881 Marlin. The lever rifles are often worse for fat throats. They had to be as some were counted on to fire repeatedly without a chance to be swabbed.

You should also plan on firing at least 10 rounds loaded with 3F... Every BP cartridge rifle I own shoots BP groups that are very tough to duplicate with smokeless. Start with a near throat diameter 30-1 up to 40-1 (my favorite) cast bullet lubed with BP lube. Do not resize the cases if they will rechamber. You do not want to squeeze the soft bullet to a smaller diameter. Figure out how much 3F will go into the case so a proper length loaded bullet compresses the 3F about 1-16th of an inch. You do not need to crush the powder. Do crimp a bit so the bullet does not fall out. You probably are going to shoot the best load for that rifle. I have yet to find 2F in caliber 38's rifles to be as accurate as 3F. You just cannot get as much powder under a 255 grain soft lead bullet (Lyman 375248 but lapped out to .381) as the old cases would hold.

Mike in Peru

1 - 19 of 19 Posts