Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Anybody have a 336ss?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Dr. A 
#1 ·
I was looking at them, that is a mean looking 30/30. I like the stainless steel. I was wondering if anybody had one and how they like it?

#3 ·
I have one. Like it quite a bit. It was the first of a series of ongoing Marlins. Weatherproof steel is one thing, but the stock is still there and can swell if not permanently weather proofed. 30-30 is a great caliber, as all the different reloading components can attest. I have a Warne mount/rings with a 2-7X Leupold scope. I have shot a couple of hogs and several deer with mine since 2002. I plink with my 336CB. The 336SS is my serious doe getter.

I shoot 170gr. Rem. CoreLokt bullets over 35.5gr. of BLC-(2). It also shoots cast well, but I prefer the CB for that. This gun took a little while to break in, as have a few other guns I've had.

#9 ·
Sorry Frank, that is the most accurate lead gun I have. I really appreciate that offer, but it shoots everything well. Even shoots 165gr. undersized non-gas checked slugs at 1600fps well. I have removed the scope, and attempting to get better with a peep. That should take some doing. I just havn't had the heart to start competing in this years postal match. Too many irons in the fire. I would like a 38-55, but there is one locally still (new). They want a regular MRSV price and it has not only plain, but ugly wood. If I get despirate for a new gun, I will buy.

Frank, if you want one of those cowboys, call up Marlin and send them an older 336 and change barrels. They had a few left. You could even get a pistol grip with yours if you were of a mind. The barrel is what really makes the difference. Don't say to much more or I''ll start to fell sorry for you... :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.