Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i apologize if this has been covered! i have searched many many pages and haven't really settled on a hard fact! the gun in question is a 1894CL "classic" 32-20. 22 inch barrel, walnut stock with checkering and bullseye. serial number is 9400XXXX. i can't seem to make out any rhyme or reason between the "CL" prefix guns and the "number" guns, and the more i read, the more confused i am! does anyone know the year of manufacture?

any help is greatly appreciated!

ed

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Save for some exceptions around the turn of the 19-20th century, or maybe a little later, some of the serial dating information was lost at Marlin. Your serial number would appear to be a very modern model and should be accurately dated by the serial number listed in the link below.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...y-updated-marlin-dates-production-sheets.html

For clarification, if it is referred to in the information you run across the "CL" is a suffix, not prefix.

Reactions: Merle1

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
No Problem... :tee:
How do you like that 32-20? I bought a 1894CL 25-20 a short while back and like it A lot! Nice little gun, and the 94 is my favorite action from Marlin...

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree the 94xxx serial indcates a 2006 model but I was under the impression that the 1894CL in 25-20, 32-20 and 218 bee were only manufactured as a short run from 1988 to 1990...............??

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
We have a great reference section on this list, but for some reason the link I am about to provide is in the Marlin Collector's forum. Mods, maybe it could be moved or copied to the reference area???

Anyway, you should open and save each of the three sheets listed at the bottom of the first post. They are the most complete listing I have ever seen and are being updated as new info becomes availible.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...y-updated-marlin-dates-production-sheets.html

-Bob

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think i was overthinking the dating process a tad! i figured it was in the '05/'06ish run, but after reading all the threads, i thought the "94" might be some kind of reference (especially with the "00" after it!), as opposed to just the first 2 digits of the regular old serial number. 2006 makes perfect sense. i was just confused!

man, i love the little thing!!! i reluctantly went to a tiny gun show this past weekend, about 3 hours away. i had been a time or two before, and while usually interesting, they had been very tiny, poorly attended shows. good grief! it was a marlin-fest! first table through the door, there was a early 60s era (i suppose!) .444 with the monte carlo stock. first one i had ever seen. same guy had two very nice older 30-30s. the man i dealt with had the 32-20 in absolutely perfect, new-in-box-with-all-goodies condition, and a really nice 18.5" .357. two tables up from him was a beautiful 38-55 octagon-barrel cowboy with a stunning stock. a man was carrying around a first-year 39 in pretty nice condition.

i had missed one of the 32-20s at a show a couple of years ago, and regretted it ever since. i hadn't seen one of them since then. man, it is a beautiful thing! wood is nice, checkering is perfect, wood/metal, and metal/metal fit is perfect, blue is flawlessly perfect. it was really a breath of fresh air after looking at the new offerings for the last few months!

i had a hard time deciding which one to go after. the cowboy was very tempting, but it had a few tiny scratches, and a couple tiny safe-dings in the wood. i have been looking for a 357, but its stock didn't match the forend very good. i wasn't really familiar enough with the monte carlo gun to know what i was doing, and the 39 was a tad rougher than i would have liked. the 32-20 was a little jewel, and i was sold! i am tickled with it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi from the UK,

I've got a Marlin 1894CL in 32-20 WCF and was trying to date it. Its serial number is CL322503.

Its not clear what two digits are used to get the production year? Going by the serial codes lists from the link in Bruisers post, its possibly 1997 if the last two letters are used, but this does not marry up with productions years for the 1894CL in 32-20.

It's all a bit confusing?

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Super Moderator
17,791 Posts
Hi from the UK,

I've got a Marlin 1894CL in 32-20 WCF and was trying to date it. Its serial number is CL322503.

Its not clear what two digits are used to get the production year? Going by the serial codes lists from the link in Bruisers post, its possibly 1997 if the last two letters are used, but this does not marry up with productions years for the 1894CL in 32-20.

It's all a bit confusing?
1894CL's were made 2005-2008... I'm not sure how to date them though...

And, welcome from Alabama...

·
Registered
2 Posts
1894CL's were made 2005-2008... I'm not sure how to date them though...

And, welcome from Alabama...
Thank you for your welcome :)

I did see on the list (Finally an Updated Marlin Dates and Production sheets) that 25-20 and 32-20 CLs were manufactured between 1988-1993, then a few batches CL specials, then another batch between, as you said, 2005-2008. It would still be nice to know its age.

I had an 25-20 1894CL too, but sold that to a friend. It seemed a bit older, but who knows, its serial number was CL251497.

I've got two other Marlins, a 2003 Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55 and a Remington/Marlin 1895XLR in 45-70. After giving the latter a trigger job, both shoot really well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.