Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thunder 50, I have 356 Winchester 94 Big Bore XTR. It has the high stock for scope shooting and no cross bolt saftey. I gess I would sell it ? I will have to think abought it. Let me know what you think. >>Tombstone

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thunder -

Short of buying an already made up one, or a historic one - how about building up one yourself, ie, take 1 modern (2001 or later) 35 Rem 336, add 1 30-30 bolt, ream to 356 win, headspace and then decide how hot you feel safe running the loads? $175-200 for the 336, $20 bolt (on eBay) + $100+/- for smith work... (though yes one does lose the certified 356 safe by Marlin - but your smith should be able to let you know just how hot you should be able to load it).

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

·
Registered
479 Posts
Or you could just send a 35Rem to Nonnemans and he will do the whole job for $95 return shipping included. Even original 336ER "shooters" will cost you a fortune.
Ranger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks, but I already did that myself using a Glenlfield 30-30 and a 35 rem barrel I had on hand. Sticky extraction just above starting 356 loads and poor grouping(except for cast bullets-loved them). Gonna try and rebarrel a 444 and see what happens with the 356. Want to try it on the Mule deer and Elk around here. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts