Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 1894 .44 mag made in 1977. Disassembled it for a much-needed deep cleaning, and the magazine tube is a booger to get back into the receiver. It's not bent, but perhaps because of the barrel taper, it hits the receiver about 1/32" below the hole for it. This leaves the grooves in the tube and barrel for the front barrel band screw misaligned by about 3/16". I've tried gently tapping the end of the tube with a plastic mallet, as well as rotating the tube (but again, it's not bent.) If I leave the forearm cap hanger out of the dovetail so I can slide the forearm forward, I can use a small padded clamp to align the mag tube and tap it into place perfectly. But then, there's no room between the mag tube and the barrel to re-install the hanger in the dovetail. I have very lightly chamfered the outside end of the mag tube to remove any burrs, but even that's not enough to get it to slide into the hole, and I don't want to remove any material from the tube beyond what I've already polished.

Is there some technique to reinstalling the magazine tube that I'm just not seeing?

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
Check the end of the tube where it goes in the receiver. Look for a sharp edge or burrs. Use a fine file to take the sharp corner off the end of the tube. Also look in the receiver hole and see if there are any burrs or dings on the edge of the hole and clean up as necessary. When you reassemble it leave the nose cap loose until you get everything seated and screws all started.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, thanks, I saw that (in fact, been through all relevant posts I could find here as well as several Youtube videos.)
The difference is, in Leverdude's tutorial, the 1894c has a rear barrel band, and my 1894 .44 has a forearm cap with a hanger bracket dovetailed into the barrel. With a barrel band, I could slide the forearm forward and guide the mag tube into the receiver hole, then slide the forearm down against the receiver and push the barrel band into place. With the end cap, the forearm and hanger bracket need to be in place before inserting the tube, and so I'm unable to see or reposition the tube. Ideally, the tube would merely slide straight into the forearm and into the receiver, but mine needs a little persuasion to overcome the slight outward pressure exerted by the barrel taper close to the receiver.

One possible solution would be to carefully trim the top of the flange on the end of the forearm that is captured by the end cap, to allow room to drive the retainer bracket into the dovetail after the tube and handguard are put in place. There should be adequate flange material remaining for the end cap to capture and secure the forearm, and the trimmed area would be covered and hidden by the cap. If that's not clear, I can try to post some pictures.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Like others have stated. If it fit before, the tube should be fine. I would also look for misalignment. I do not have a 1894. So, I do not have any experience with one. But, I suspect it fit together without much of a fuss. Did it come apart fairly easy?

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
With the mag tub in as far as you can get it, try reaching in through the receiver and move the end of the mag tube into alignment with the mag tube hole. Simultaneously push it in from the barrel band side. It may sort of click into place.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the mag tub in as far as you can get it, try reaching in through the receiver and move the end of the mag tube into alignment with the mag tube hole. Simultaneously push it in from the barrel band side. It may sort of click into place.
I'll try this tonight - with the receiver stripped, maybe a wooden dowel slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the tube can guide it home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like others have stated. If it fit before, the tube should be fine. I would also look for misalignment. I do not have a 1894. So, I do not have any experience with one. But, I suspect it fit together without much of a fuss. Did it come apart fairly easy?
It was not easy to take apart - I doubt it had ever been completely disassembled before I got it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It was not easy to take apart - I doubt it had ever been completely disassembled before I got it.
Oh. Okay. But, I think you may be on to something though. It seems like maineiac may have shined some light on the subject.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SUCCESS! I stripped down the receiver, and laid it upside down on the bench. Looking in through the rear of the receiver, I could see the end of the magazine tube was coming in too low (if it were right-side-up)- just slightly - and needed to be pushed closer to the barrel to fully seat in the hole in the receiver. I took a blunt Phillips head screwdriver, so as not to mar the inside of the tube, and coming in through the bottom of the receiver and into the mag tube, pushed the end down (toward the barrel, as the rifle lay upside down) and a couple of taps with my small plastic mallet on the muzzle end of the tube popped it right into place. I knew it was fully seated when the groove in the barrel lined up perfectly with the corresponding groove n the mag tube to allow the front band screw to pass through.

Thanks, Maineiac - great idea.

Hand Tool
Hardwood Shotgun Wood
Shotgun Rim Air gun Metal

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
SUCCESS! I stripped down the receiver, and laid it upside down on the bench. Looking in through the rear of the receiver, I could see the end of the magazine tube was coming in too low (if it were right-side-up)- just slightly - and needed to be pushed closer to the barrel to fully seat in the hole in the receiver. I took a blunt Phillips head screwdriver, so as not to mar the inside of the tube, and coming in through the bottom of the receiver and into the mag tube, pushed the end down (toward the barrel, as the rifle lay upside down) and a couple of taps with my small plastic mallet on the muzzle end of the tube popped it right into place. I knew it was fully seated when the groove in the barrel lined up perfectly with the corresponding groove n the mag tube to allow the front band screw to pass through.

View attachment 726214 View attachment 726216 View attachment 726218
You are welcome, I am glad that I could help you out!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I bought an 1894 pre-safey at a local gun shop at a very reasonable price. I got it home and loaded a few rounds and jammed tight. I took it apart and found that the magazine tube wasn't setting in the frame. The frame end of the tube and had been battered untill it had a flange. The slot where the barrel band screw goes through had been enlarged and beat in to get the screw in because the tube was too far forward. I tried to repair the tube but ended up buying a new one.

I found that I had to insert the tube into the frame right off. Then slide the forend down. Then with the front sight off, slide the two barrel bands on.

·
Registered
Marlin 1894 44 magnum early to mid 1970's
17 Posts

View attachment 726214 View attachment 726216 View attachment 726218

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you so much for submitting your issue and your resolution. I have the exact problem. I actually was thinking about going through the receiver, but didn't want to create bigger problems trying to resolve this issue. Seeing that you had success, I will now do the same. Thank you again.

·
Super Moderator
11,090 Posts
I'll try this tonight - with the receiver stripped, maybe a wooden dowel slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the tube can guide it home.
Good you got it aligned. I was sort of surprised you had such a hard time because usually on the rifles that have a fore end cap the bottom of the barrel is clearanced at the factory for mag tube clearance. I've never had one that needed to be forced in and "Sprung" under tension to be installed---which is bad for accuracy (puts tension on the barrel).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a similar problem, took your advice, and worked like a charm! Thank you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.