Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Any Tips For Reloading 265 Grain Interlocks with H4198?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Win94 
#1 ·
Well i have my dies, including Lee factory Crimp die, some once fired factory Remington brass, 265 grain Hornady Interlocks and some H4198. Reloading for my 1972 vintage 1 in 38 micro groove.
Components are scarce up here for .444 and this is what i was able to come up with. Hoping i can devise some decent loads....

See less See more
#3 ·
#14 ·
Gday there mr fixit, thanks for the reference to ya reloading post. the interesting thing is that the groupe size didn't change much, only the elevation as the powder weight increased. thats a 444 for ya :biggrin:, nice shooting.

PS The hat still fits :biggrin:.

GUS

#6 ·
47g H4198 with the 265 Hornady FP. All day, every day. I've stopped trying to top that load in my 444ss MG barrel. YMMV, but I'd guess not by very much.

Also, a harvestor crushed rib sabot, Hornady 265FP and 100g Blackhorn 209 powder in a 50cal muzzle loader, for December whitetails here in Michigan.

Same great results.

#8 ·
The only thing that jumps to mind was my early days of reloading the 444. I didn't flare the case enough originally and the seating pressure deformed the bullets nose a bit. Also the crimps got better when I trimmed brass to a constant length. Today I use an M die for the case sizing.

Reactions: mt_sourdough
#16 ·
Hey, Doug... That load sounds familiar. The performance on targets looks familiar, too! That same load in my rifle is producing 2,275 fps (and matches the H'dy Light Mag stuff), and is as accurate as Doug's load as shown above...

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun

'Nuff said. :biggrin:

#11 ·
A little off topic, sorry, but anyone else get replies from this thread, through a Comcast email account and getting the header but no "body" with reply and link?
Seems to be happening with only MO replies for the past week.

#13 ·
Just now, I got the email that you replied but the message body was blank. Several other thread replies too and the 336 forum daily update. But the 444, reloading & 1894 forums were all there, along with "hunter is back" & "30-30 advantage" threads. Other forums are fine.

#15 ·
Glad you found the info useful whiskers, out of all the hats that got sold, I wound up giving my nutmeg one to the daughter, that left me with an orange one for myself which I wear during deer season here.....I may go back to the shop and see about having them make me a hat in nutmeg....can't believe I didn't wind up with one! Hope everyone is still happy with their hats, good times right there!! Mr fixit

#17 ·
DWB ... wonder where I got that info from? :hmmmm: Thank you my friend as I worked up to the load you suggested and then I hit paydirt. I think I am really like these 444 Marlins as I have 2 444SS models, 1 444P model, and a NIB 2000 444P coming my way pretty soon ... :eating:. I need some meat in the freezer this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.