Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Contender in .44 Mag. Our local shooting range has a silhouette range and I remember seeing all the Contender owners out knocking Rams down at distance.

Anyone on here use them for hunting? What calibers would you recommend? I am guessing this will be another addiction.

Here is a photo of when I first picked it up (on friday)

The grip on the gun was the original that was made for a right hander, not a lefty...so yesterday I went to the gun show and picked up a Pachmayr Presentation grip and foreend.

The beginning of next month the gun show will be back around, and I saw used barrels in .22 Jet, .22 Hornet, .357 Max, .357, .357 Herret?, .45/70, .30-30, .35 Rem, 7-30 Waters, and a ton of others including rimfire.

I may need to stash some money and come back to pick up a few more barrels.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats on the new toy! Contenders and Encores are a lot of fun! Be sure to pick up a .22lr barrel. They are great for cheap practice and a lot of fun for target shooting and small game hunting. I also really enjoy .22 Mag, .223 Rem, .44 mag, .357 Maximum, 7-30 Waters, 375 JDJ and my .45-70 barrels. Before you know it you'll be convincing yourself of a need for all the barrels you mentioned and more. Then you will start looking at Encores. As if the .45-70 wasn't powerfull enough, the Encore really gives you some serious higher pressure rounds in a handgun. I found the need for .25-06, .308 Win, .454 Casull, another .45-70 and 300 Win Mag handgun barrels. Pachmayr grips are the way to go on both Contenders and Encores.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a Contender with 3 barrels. .223, .44 Mag, and the very fun .45/410! I love the look on peoples faces when I break it open and pull a shotgun shell out of the range box. :ahhhhh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have got to vote for the 7mm TCU Heck of a round for ironRams and Deer hunting as well as yotes and other varmint critters and too much for squirrels unless you want to vaporize pine squirrels then it works just fine.... No sheep or abundant elk in Mi to try it out on...
the non magnifying scope for ironRams is just dead nuts accurate, check out the Picture Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Gun barrel
I swapped an airman for it back in the 80s when I was working on the air launched cruse missile project as a employee of Perkin-Elmer a subcontractor to Boeing servicing the computers used to program the black boxes that contained the ground tracking data to guide the missile to its way points and target...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have a G2 TC Contender in .375 JDJ. It is a handful when using full power loads and is in no way fun to shoot then. I typically down load it to a more reasonable level for deer hunting and target shooting. I will eventually get a 30-30 or 7-30 Waters barrel for it for deer hunting. Mine has a 2x7x28 TC handgun scope on it.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Congrats on the gun. The 44 will do the job in the hunting dept but condider a 7-30 waters and a 22LR. You are going to have a ball with this gun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all! I am still searching and trying to figure out what Barrels I should get!

·
Registered
491 Posts
if i lived in Texas there would be a 30/30 AE under my Leupold but i live in Illinois
and cant use rifle ammo i have 22 LR and a 44 magnum
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have an old, old-school Contender with barrels in .22 LR, 22 Hornet, .223, 7 mm TCU, .30 Herrett, 44 Mag, 45 LC/.410.

The 44 Mag is my go-to deer rig in downstate MI. The 7mm TCU and .30 Herrett are reloading challenges and always get a look when I use them to show off and outshoot the deer hunters on the 100-yrd range. The 45 LC/.410 is not all that hard to shoot skeet with, once you get over it, and I've not put any 45 LC through it yet. My .223 barrel puts bargain military ammo into less than 2" at 100 yards; the .22 Hornet will cut those groups in half with a quarter of the noise. I could feed my family for a long time with the .22 LR barrel and box of decent ammo.

If I had to sell all my guns, this would one of the last to go. Pure fun but also a very practical firearm.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking I want to get a .22LR, .22 Mag, .22 Hornet, .30-30, .35, and .45/70 barrels...then I think I will be happy :biggrin:

Oh and probably a .357 Maximum barrel also :flute:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm thinking I want to get a .22LR, .22 Mag, .22 Hornet, .30-30, .35, and .45/70 barrels...then I think I will be happy :biggrin:

Oh and probably a .357 Maximum barrel also :flute:
You'd think you'd be happy now... but you would walk through every gun show for the rest of your life with an eye open for a new barrel. And no, you don't have to ask how I know this...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have a boatload of Encore stuff but have a "Tender with 22 & 44 barrels. I would get in the 7-30 Waters game big time if it was staying with me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts