Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my 336 scoped hunter 35R will only be used with scope, why leave on the front site?- its just one more thing to hang up on stuff. Thats what i keep tellin myself, but, dang it, looks are important too. On the other hand all my scoped bolt rifles are minus front site.

Just wondering if anybody takes off their front site, and, if you get used to the looks ?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I would leave it on.

You never know when you may need it. I always buy guns with iron sights and zero them before scoping. I also use bases that can be removed easily (the kind with the knurled knobs or big slots that will acceot a coin). That way if my scoope malfunctions, I can take it off and still hunt.

That's my opinion, I'm sure there will be others equally valid.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Welcome KenG to the forums. Personally, I would not remove the front sights ... why bother? A chance of losing them is one good reason to leave them on. What if you have a scope failure on a hunt? You could still hunt if you had your front sights on the rifle by just removing your scope.

bjm

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pretty much only hunt behind the house on the mtnside these days. If I had a problem I would just get backup rifle. When not stalking i always sling my rifle, you can still bang scope in a fall but not as bad as if it flies out of your hands. I have scopes with dents in them. Always keep another ready I wouldnt hunt with one until testing after a good bang on a rock.

I have levers with front site and scope both on for many years- this is just something knew I'm thinking about as I set up the ultimate meat thumper 336/35 with 2-7x - that is, why leave the sites site on?

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I always leave both front and rear sights on. For one thing, my lever guns would look funny with the sights taken off. For another, though my eyeballs are pretty much too old to use iron sights as my main aiming tool, if my scope were to go bad in the middle of a hunt, I guess I could make do with the irons if I absolutely had to by keeping my shots pretty close. It wouldn't be the ideal solution, but I guess it'd work in a pinch.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Mostly, I leave the front sights on,....but I do have one rifle ( a browning 308 pump) with a Weaver V3 scope on it that I did remove the front sight. When the scope was on low power (1.5x) I could see the front sight in the scope. The blurry image bugged me and i removed it, but like the others said,the idea of going back to irons if you have to may be valuable some day.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
The only gun on which I've removed the front sight, as well as the rear, is my Remington 760 30-06. I had a 3-9X40 wide angle scope on it for years and on 3 & 4 power the front sight would show up. It was quite annoying so I removed it.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I removed the front...red loc-tite used for scope base, so front site was useless!

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
If the iron are not in the way then I say leave them on. If you got to ask the question then you know iron sights belong on a lever action rifle.

I scope all the lever rifles I have that can be scoped a top nerver really took to side mounts just not natural.

T :) NY

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I took the front sight off my 308mx and my 444 these two rifles will always have scopes my 30-30s still have the front sights on them because right now they are unscoped and I use the open sights!!!

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I take the front and rear off all my hunting rifles with scopes except lever guns and I leave them on. I have always done this and it might bite me in the butt on day but it hasn't yet. I started doing it in my younger days but I know a lot of people that leave their sights on.

Regards
Horseshoe

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
There's no need to remove front sights when using a decent scope and mounts; and the site is so light that any excuse that doing so would save weight won't pass the smell test. And seldom will a front sight "hang-up" on brush unless you're using the muzzle end of the gun as a brush beater; and further, the odds are that, if you remove those sights, Murphy's law says they'll disappear and be impossible to find when you take a notion to remount them. Bottom line, it's stupid to remove the front sight; and although a scoped bolt rifle looks fine without a front sight, the barrel of a scoped lever gun looks naked and weird.

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
I scoped all my marlin lever rifle that's the reason why I bought them in the first place. One day I looked at the font sight of my 444S and it was bended. It didn't matter I had scope on it. But I straighten it out. Then one day again it bended I try to straighten it again but it broke this time. I call up marlin and they sent me for $18. a new one. I put it on the best way I can by eye. It looks good and it's there. I still use the scope and the 444S still has it factory parts. Who knows maybe some day I might need the iron sights or may want to use them.

For me the iron sights stays.

T ;) NY

·
Registered
66 Posts
I scoped my 336SC 35 Rem with a Weaver K-4W, using the lowest possible rings. I cannot see the front sight, or even the front sight hood, through the scope. Even if I could see a little "shadow" of the front sight, I see no reason to take it off. It might come in very handy if I am hunting, and happen to bang my scope or damage it somehow. Then I could take it off, and use my iron sights.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have taken the front and rear sites off of 3 of my marlin levers. ( 2- 30-30's and 1- 444S) All 3 guns are scoped, all scopes are mounted low so sites are in the way.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My son took the front sight off of the 336 Texan in .35 Remington that I gave him years ago. Said it hung up on stuff. It looks awful and I don't like it. The only rifle I have without a front sight is my Ruger M77, and it never had iron sights.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I see things more simply - a lever gun 's usually chambered for a cartridge with limited effective range when iron sights are adequate. It's for that reason a removed front sight is illogical and visually disturbing. In sharp contrast, bolt actions are typically chambered for longer range cartridges and scoped to wring out the utility of that longer range cartridge. I guess to someone who understands cartridge trajectories, sights and optics it just doesn't process comfortably. The flip side would be someone using an unscoped 300 Win Mag with open sights. It just seems incongruent given all the options shooters have theses days. I guess that is why I only have low-powered scopes (2.5x) on my levers, if scoped.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.