Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Any Remington Model 750 users?

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  MS9x56 
#1 ·
I recently bought a like new Model 750 in .35 Whelen, carbine, and it is "world's" better than my old Model 742 of years past,ha. My son in law had it awhile, and I am swapping with him to get it back. I originally got it because (1) it's gas operated, doesn't hurt my rebuilt wrist, and (2) its a 35 Whelen. I have a Burris Timberline 2x7 on it, and it shoots really sweet. Anybody have one in any caliber and how do you like it?

#8 ·
Well, I try to be very careful with my guns while out hunting, my father taught me that. He was still "fresh" from WW2, pacific/Japanese, so he wanted it to "work" everytimg, and to take pride in my weapon. I have hunted some grubby places, but hardly ever even got a scratch on any..I plan on keeping this one nice too,ha.
I grew up where Rem 742 was "King" of deer rifles, mostly in 30.06, and iron sights ( we ran deer hounds then) fast follow up shots were deemed necessary. Later, you saw some scopes. I got one from my Uncle when I was about 22, used it awhile, then sold it back to him. I killed a few deer/hogs with it, but it would jam, and never more accurate than 4-6 inches at 100. Our neighbor used a 742 6mm for years, loved it.
Years ago I read where a one armed guy wanted to hunt brown bear with an auto. He had it rebarreled to 9.3x62 and regulated with the RWS 286 softnose. Great article, and guy got his bear. I never forgot that, and after years of hunting with a 35 AI ( like a hot loaded 35 Whelen standard really) I was jazzed to see the 750 in .35 whelen.( I'm not drawn to pumps) I don't plan on going brown bear hunting w/it, but deer/elk/black bear/hogs are "cheese wheels" to a 250gr Whelen bullet,ha! P>S> I'm so proud of my pics, my first digital camera...at 57! ::)

#9 ·
I have the 7600 in .35 Whelen which I like very much for the northern Maine timber. Used the 7400 for years in the same environment and killed a fair number of whitetails with it. Always worked like a charm with no jamming issues in about 20 years of hunting with it. 8)

#10 ·
I did have a Model 4 in .270 for awhile, back in 2000. It shot really well, and I had left it in Texas for when I went down to visit family & could deer hunt. My dad died, so I sold it to my Uncle for my aunt ( yes, he still had the old 742,ha.) But I had given him an accurate 300 RUM bolt gun. ( Yep, he's my favorite uncle) Point being, the 7400/Model 4 were vast improvements also over the 742, so not knocking it. And the 7600 is a very light, fast handling rifle, I just never felt comfortable with one, but saw several out here when they were available in .35 whelen. They were snapped up! I made mention elsewhere that when I visited Maine/NH/Vermont, on vacation in 2001, all the men I questioned on hunting rifle choices had either Marlin 30-30's/35 rems,(about 10%) rest all used rem pumps in 30.06...very popular, and while I didn't question "all" the hunters of New england, it was a large number. I want to shoot a bear in Maine someday/or up in New Brunswick. I think the new 750's use of teflon coated parts will make it a good one in cold/snow. When I hunt in snow, I drape a light rag over action/scope until I am on smoking tracks or sitting under a spruce, lesson I learned muzzleloading. Even holding the rifle by the action, one handed protects it alot. I do use tape or a baloon over the muzzle and Butler Creek bikini scope covers.

#12 ·
Oh yes! It came with the previous onwer's handload of 58.5 gr IMR 4350 and the old style 225 Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet. I had the scope bore sighted, then it took 2 shots to zero it, and another 2 to verify, which gave me about an 1.25" group at 100! Scope was on 7x, recoil is a mild "push". Granted this is not a hot load, but hot loads aren't needed in a Whelen. that big bullet is a chopper! I haven't played with other loads as yet, like the box of new 250 SPCL's or loaded any 225 Sierra's, or the 250 Hornady RN or the Speer 250 ptd Hot Cor. But later in I will!

#13 ·
Worked up a load for the Sierra 225 and R15 today, 54 gr was just fine at 1.25", but 55 was tops! I got .65" average for 3 shots, used the 4th one to check rezeroing. This is max for this rifle, but extracted fine. Shot a couple rounds on another target of factory remington 250 pspcl, got 2.5" group, not bad for an auto, but the 225 Sierra is just plain "sheboyan"! ha.

#14 ·
I've only used factory loads in my Whelen and really like the 200 grain loads for deer. I found them to work just fine and much easier on the shoulder! Sweet shooting. The 225 grain trophy bonded bear claws were abusive at the range and as a consequence I had a harder time keeping tighter groups. The autoloader absorbs some of the recoil so probably milder shooting than the 7600. Love the rifle though! :)

#15 ·
I think for deer only, the 200 grain Corlokts are about perfect. I used the 200X Barnes in a whelen Improved for 'everything". Being the nostalgic sort, I only plan on shooting the old standbys, with this Sierra 225 being an all arounder. I will try the 250's later in handloads, the Speer spire pt and the Hornady round nose, just for grins. I can tell you more about how this Sierra holds up after I shoot a big hog with it. Hogs are excellent test mediums; if it works good on a hog, it will be "shame on him" time for an elk! If its good on elk, I would "take on" any bear with it. Heck I would think that 200 Corlokt would be about perfect for black bear too, look what the .35 Remington does to them!

#16 ·
I have read some bad reviews on the 750, I think they were the first run, so maybe they had bugs to work out? Anyhow, this 35 whelen has "yet" to make a bobble, hiccup or jam! I have never had any auto do this. I did shoot a model 4 ( 7400 dressed up) in .270 that didn't like Remington cl, but eat Federal Premium 130 Nosler BT like candy! I think remington has worked out the bugs pretty good!

#17 ·
I had one for several years and loved it. Shot 200 grain corelocs for deer and 250 grain round noses for hogs. I walked into a gun shop and there on the rack was my grail gun a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9x56 and so a trade of the 750 and cash was made. If I were to find another in 35 Whelen I would grab it in a minute. The MS 1905 is the best still hunting rifle I have ever shouldered and the 9x56 is in between the 358 win and the 35 Whelen so not much difference there. I heartily endorse the model 750.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.