Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to find some pics of 336/1895 family of Leveraction rifles that have Boyds Wood. I can't seem to find any pics of the sort. Thanks

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Crickets.......
I bought a Marlin that has factory mismatched wood and I am looking into future plans of a furniture makeover, but it is hard to buy wood unseen. I need to contact them for pics, I suppose.

·
Banned
120 Posts
I just ordered a 336 Straight Grip butt stock to replace the cracked original. I will post pictures of fit and finish after it arrives. It is supposed to be here on Tuesday I believe.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Too bad I can't get a Boyds stock for my cracked Rossi Overland SxS.

·
Banned
120 Posts
I just ordered a 336 Straight Grip butt stock to replace the cracked original. I will post pictures of fit and finish after it arrives. It is supposed to be here on Tuesday I believe.
Picture as promised. Overall fit is good. Could use minor fitting but I am not too picky. Very happy with the replacement stock on my 64' 336RC

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404258274.328100.jpg

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Is that a the standard grade walnut?

·
Banned
120 Posts
Did boyds ever get the bugs worked out on the forearms? I've seen several posts where the forearms from boyds were to short...
I am not sure about the forearm but I can say that I have decided to fit the stock better than how it sits. The wood is a bit Proud if you know what I mean.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404838786.619103.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404838808.769620.jpg

·
Registered
504 Posts
Okay, I realize that I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I've been trying to figure out Boyd's 336 cap style forearm dimensions. I'm trying to update the stocks on my Glenfield 30A. The dimensions on their website don't match my rifle at all. The 1894 forearms are kinda close to the barrel diameters, but the forearm is too short. I exchanged emails with a Boyd's employee named Lynette. She was very polite, but didn't answer any of my questions. She simply linked me back to the same useless dimensions on their website. I even offered to send them my pressed deer forearm. She replied that customers aren't allowed to send their stocks in. She then said that If one of their forearm configurations don't work, I'm out of luck. I'm a bit frustrated in dealing with them. I know that they are one of the forum's supporting vendors, but I sent an IM quite some time ago without a response. If Boyd's were more receptive, I'd even machine an aluminum receiver and barrel for them to use for trial fitting. I've used their stocks on other rifles and they fit well. Has anyone successfully restocked their Glenfield 30a or Marlin 336 with a Boyd's cap style forearm? I recently bought a Boyd's laminated stock set off of EBay, the buttstock fit decent with a bit of work, but the forearm was too short and the barrel channel too large. IMAG0047.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm following this thread to see how things turn out. I was just on their site yesterday thinking about future projects. We'll see...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures, the gaps look worse in person. Boyd's website states that they use their house action for fitment, I'm quite curious of what it is. They are so close with this that it is a shame they don't give it a bit of attention. I think this item would be a good selling item with just a little effort. IMAG0062.jpg IMAG0067.jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
ShortStroke, I had ordered a forearm for a 30A and it was too short. Lucky for me the forearm they sent also had a crack in it so I was able to return it and get my money back.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It makes me wonder how many useless capped forearms have been bought over the years. Mine is going to sit in a drawer, as it can't be returned. It's a danged shame, as the buttstock turned out nice. I wish there was a better way of communicating with them.or at least talk with someone higher up the Boyd's food chain.

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
My biggest gripe w/Boyds is that their stock sets come "finished", which isn't a finish I like or want. To get one raw and unfinished is a special order and costs extra. I put a set on my Winchester Trapper and it needed a little fitting and sanding, to be expected, but it looks great. I used 50/50 BLO/turpentine on a 200 grit sanded raw walnut. If you get a finished stock set and then have to fit it and sand it for the profile you want, what's the point?

FWIW - I just bought a walnut set for my Rossi 92 from PGW for around $150. Raw and unfinished, just basic non-fancy grain, will need fitting and finishing. It'll get the BLO too, maybe stained first. Haven't messed with it but it looks very well made. Parts are covered with shrink-wrapped plastic to protect them. I expect it will look far better than the original Rossi "mystery wood".

·
Registered
314 Posts
Shortstroke, try a different gun stock supplier, gunstockinc.com offers various sizes, openings. you order and specify. They might even match the laminate but that might cost more. Get your calipers and size the existing forend.

i ordered my stocks from them in my 30/30 beater thread

Reactions: ShortStroke
1 - 20 of 24 Posts