Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been putting this off for a long time, but I really want to get a P-08, also known as Luger. I wanted one since I had that Luger squirt gun when I was a kid. My Dad had an artillery model in his collection but sold it off. They ain't cheap, but they are so cool. I might be satisfied with one, or maybe two. So I joined the Luger forum and have been browsing some online dealers, like Simpson's and Mr. Luger. Just have to decide exactly what I want and how to pay for it.

So if you have a P-08, post a picture and tell me about it. Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your pistols.

Reactions: Stu925

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Watching this one. A P-08 Luger is on my most wanted list. I doubt I'll ever have the extra money to spend on one but who knows. Maybe one day....

Stu

·
Premium Member
10,687 Posts
They certainly are steeped in history, and I had one back in the 80's when you could find them for $400-$600 dollars. I "had to have one", too..........

After finding a complete Erfurt Commercial model P-08, I found that the "most natural pointing handgun ever made", didn't shoot very well for me..............I found the muzzle to be too light and the lock work to be too heavy.

I kept that pistol for a few years, and sold it to a Nazi collector at a nicel profit...........I took the Money and bought a High Standard Victor AND another S&W Model 41....................

So,........... .Yes I guess I liked that Luger....It afforded me to buy TWO very shootable Match Grade Small Bore Pistols...............

IMO, if you're buying a Luger as a collector, that's fine, but if you're buying one to shoot..............There are much better offerings in the market.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
11,848 Posts
A few years ago I had a '39 Mauser. It was one of the best shooting pistols I've ever owned. Sadly I let it go but plan to get another some day.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are expensive and if you break a part on a collector piece, that may mess up the value of the gun. I guess the question is to get a shooting gun or something nicer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Funny thing about the P-08. Its highly unreliable, intricate, hard to take apart and put back together again one of the most copied designs, can go anywhere from 200 bucks to 500,000 bucks, and its the LAST pistol you want to bet your life on. Even so, I don't know anyone who don't love this pistol.....including me. That, and the p-38. Two of my favorite pistols.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Had a 4" and a 6" in .30/7.65 Luger. Both shot good enough, but neither was overly practical....got traded for who-knows-what, way-back-when. They do point quite well...but my Glock and my 1911 are more apt to be called upon in the time of need. On the plus side, '08s are always great trade fodder.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I do not have one and most likely never will but I have shot friends of mine and admired them for the fine workmanship and quality built into them and they are fun to shoot as a bonus. Widow

Reactions: akviper and Stu925

·
Registered
212 Posts
Many years ago I owned a little over a dozen of them along with a few walther P 38's I gave them all to my Son I figured let him enjoy them while I am still around to see him enjoy them I worked in Europe for many years and the luger's and walther's would turn up where you least expected them to turn up mostly second hand shops they were german military models at bargain basement prices

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,052 Posts
I've had 4 through the years. True gun art. Neat, and even neater to hold in your hand and shoot. They like HOT 9mm. Like the Mauser 1896 the only screws in the gun are for the grips (We can say that about John Browning's 1911) Lots of pins though. They can be good investments. I'm at a stage where I am looking for true workmanship guns that are practical and still are an investment. It also boils to a want vs. need. Does someone NEED to collect rare paintings? Appreciating art is a wonderful thing. Everyone who likes guns should own and shoot a Luger sometime in their life.

AC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts