Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last post about it was in 2018. Any changes? Looking for good varmint caliber for my AR.

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
60 grain bullet at 3,300fps? Should do the trick... But to spend money if you already have a 5.56? It is only about 200fps faster... If you have no AR platform it would be worth looking into to me...

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
223 or 5.56 already good varmint calibers. Try using a 450 Bushmaster or 50 Beowulf for varmint----guaranteed to bowl them over. I hunt pig with those 2 calibers----for some reason the 450 BM is very accurate---I get 2inch grps at 100 yrds using a Bushnell Zombie dot sight. If you really want to get a good varmint rifle look at the Mossberg MVP Predator in 5.56 bolt action. It takes the same mags as your AR and it's light and accurate plus it has a std 1/2 x 28 threaded muzzle so you can use std AR muzzle brake or flash hider.

·
Super Moderator
23,654 Posts
The 224 Valkyrie is about extinct in my locale. No one is shootin' them/buying the ammo/buying the AR platform. I know the same thing is happening with the 350 Legend in my area. No one locally is buying into these new calibers but want to stay with the established ones. I wonder if the rest of the USA has bought into these new wonder calibers?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
The 224 Valkyrie is about extinct in my locale. No one is shootin' them/buying the ammo/buying the AR platform. I know the same thing is happening with the 350 Legend in my area. No one locally is buying into these new calibers but want to stay with the established ones. I wonder if the rest of the USA has bought into these new wonder calibers?
I did buy in and jumped in by building my own uppers for 224 Valkyrie and a 350 Legend. I think I'm the only one in my group that did. They both shoot really fine and are very accurate but not very popular. Local shops are bringing in ammo for both and the cost is very reasonable. Honestly---I can do everything the 224 can do with my 6.5 Grendel and as far as hunting my 450 Bushmaster does a great job on pigs. I can't see how the marketing hype could say that the 350 Legend was just as powerful as the 450 with half the kick. How can a 35 cal have more punch than a 45 when the length is almost the same but the 450 is twice the diameter ? I have not tried hunting pig with the 350 yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts