Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any talk about Marlin MR-7 rifles on here. Anybody use them? A buddy of mine has one that has never been fired in 30-06. I've been trying to talk him out of it for a few years now, but he won't seem to let it go. I keep trying though! reakin

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
At our last gunshow at Puyallup Wa, I found an MR7 in 25-06. First one I have ever seen for sale and I bought it immediately. Can't say how much of a fan I am till I get a chance to go out and shoot it this weekend, but it ought to be a great hunting rifle. Oh did I mention is was sporting a Leopold II 4x scope?

Reactions: Paul69

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sweet rifle

I picked up an MR-7 a while back, I guess just before they were discontinued. I've had it out to the range a couple times but haven't taken it into the bush hunting as yet. It's a sweet shooter, the action is tight but works smoothly. I've never been big on bolt actions but this one is definitely a keeper. Shoots tight patterns at 100yds -2". :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sweet rifle

I picked up an MR-7 in 30-06 a while back, I guess just before they were discontinued. I live in Florida and had planned on heading North and west for some hunting in open country but plans changed. Down here I prefer a lever action - thick brush that tends to catch on long barrels. I've had it out to the range a couple times, it's a sweet shooter, the action is tight and bolt works smoothly. I've never been big on bolt actions but this one is definitely a keeper. Shoots tight patterns at 100yds -2". :D

G

·
Like the levers a lot , but the bolt guns don't get me . Guess it's to many years of Remington 700's. I think they are nice ,as I have handled a few . But can't ever seem to get into buying one .

·
Banned
461 Posts
If you are looking for a good Marlin 30-06 bolt action, I have a decent model 455 that was made back in the 50's and there are very few of them around. It could use some TLC from time not being too kind to it, but it's still an excellent shooter. Just give me an email if you want pictures or more information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've deer hunted for years and shot nearly every rifle known to man. Every year I usually add at least one caliber to the list I've tried. Of all of the ones I've tried my two favorites, (I think) are the .260 and .280. But, I somehow end up using a 270 a lot of the time. Well, my pal at work decided that he would like to deer hunt again after several years away from it, and asked me to take a look at his rifle. It was an older Remington semi auto 30/06, it was heavy, loud and kicked more than a semi auto should. But that was the least of the problem, it shot horrible. I encouraged him to go to a gun show with me and find something to trade it on, and so we went. To make a long story short, we got seperated and he ended up trading for a Marlin MR7 in .270. While I certainly couldn't criticize his choice of caliber, I wasn't all that smitten with the choice of the Marlin. I'd heard of them, and back in my gun dealing days, had known they existed, but somehow never seemed to come across one. After looking at it, I was impressed with the fit and finish. I liked the features of it, the three position safety and all. After adjusting the trigger down to a reasonable weight, we headed for the range with my Ruger .270 which is a real tack driver and his Marlin. We're shooting away and I'm not paying much attention to how he's doing when I accidentally get on the wrong 100 yard target. I thought I must have shot his target, as the group was barely 1/2". After a quick examination of his targets WITH FACTORY AMMO, his Marlin will shoot under an inch all day long. I was absolutely dumbfounded. That MR7 is one heck of a shooter, big time. He's killed 3 deer with it so far and is happy as a **** in a cornfield with it. I have to admit, I didn't have high hopes for it, and I really don't know why, but we never messed with anything but the trigger. The bedding is box stock, with the pressure point at the forearm, and it shoots like a bench rifle. I really can't think of a single criticism of the thing, and wonder why Marlin stopped making them. They must have been unprofitable to make is the only good reason. Funny thing is, I never paid much attention to them, and now I'm noticing them at every gun show I go to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've deer hunted for years and shot nearly every rifle known to man. Every year I usually add at least one caliber to the list I've tried. Of all of the ones I've tried my two favorites, (I think) are the .260 and .280. But, I somehow end up using a 270 a lot of the time. Well, my pal at work decided that he would like to deer hunt again after several years away from it, and asked me to take a look at his rifle. It was an older Remington semi auto 30/06, it was heavy, loud and kicked more than a semi auto should. But that was the least of the problem, it shot horrible. I encouraged him to go to a gun show with me and find something to trade it on, and so we went. To make a long story short, we got seperated and he ended up trading for a Marlin MR7 in .270. While I certainly couldn't criticize his choice of caliber, I wasn't all that smitten with the choice of the Marlin. I'd heard of them, and back in my gun dealing days, had known they existed, but somehow never seemed to come across one. After looking at it, I was impressed with the fit and finish. I liked the features of it, the three position safety and all. After adjusting the trigger down to a reasonable weight, we headed for the range with my Ruger .270 which is a real tack driver and his Marlin. We're shooting away and I'm not paying much attention to how he's doing when I accidentally get on the wrong 100 yard target. I thought I must have shot his target, as the group was barely 1/2". After a quick examination of his targets WITH FACTORY AMMO, his Marlin will shoot under an inch all day long. I was absolutely dumbfounded. That MR7 is one heck of a shooter, big time. He's killed 3 deer with it so far and is happy as a **** in a cornfield with it. I have to admit, I didn't have high hopes for it, and I really don't know why, but we never messed with anything but the trigger. The bedding is box stock, with the pressure point at the forearm, and it shoots like a bench rifle. I really can't think of a single criticism of the thing, and wonder why Marlin stopped making them. They must have been unprofitable to make is the only good reason. Funny thing is, I never paid much attention to them, and now I'm noticing them at every gun show I go to. I'm not tradin' off my Ruger, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a MR7 either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The story I heard is that Marlin had to devote mfg time and materials to the Guide guns that were intro'd at about the time the MR-7 went MIA. The Guide Gun took off and they had to keep up with the demand...the MR-7 was killed by a lever gun....at least that's the story I've heard from two different sources. There was a dealer up here that had two of them NIB, both 270's, not sure if he still has them but I am going to check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marlin Model 455

marlin*man said:
If you are looking for a good Marlin 30-06 bolt action, I have a decent model 455 that was made back in the 50's and there are very few of them around. It could use some TLC from time not being too kind to it, but it's still an excellent shooter. Just give me an email if you want pictures or more information.
Could you please Email me some pics on this gun? Also I am interestedin this Marlin model 455 bolt action 30.06 Thank you very much....

·
Registered
6 Posts
MR-7

The Bass Pro Shop store here in Atlanta had a sale on MR-7s after Marlin discontinued them...$250!! I had to be out of town that weekend--I was VERY disappointed I couldn't get one. I've been scouting the gun shows and the ads at the ranges ever since but have never seen one. The folks that have them must be happy.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Saw what was tagged as one in the Union City TN WalMart (across the highway from Dixie Gun Works) a couple of days ago. As usual, no clerk was handy and I was in a bit of a hurry. No mention of caliber, what I could see on the tag just said "Marlin Bolt Action Rifle".

If anyone's in the area and wants one, it could bear looking into. I doubt I'll be back up that way for at least a month or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wally-World MR-7

44-40 Willy,

I called the Union City, TN Wally World and what you saw was, indeed, a new Marlin MR-7 in .270 Win. I don't believe it! Anyway, the nice clerk, who actually seemed to know what he was talking about, said that the price was $458.96.

Maybe someone with more money than I will jump on this. :!: :D

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
mdatlanta, I'll have to give you credit. Never even dawned on me to call 'em up!

With sales tax, that'd run a little over $500 to take it out the door. I'm like you about the money aspect on it. I'd love to have it for my Marlin collection, but a bit steep for my pockets right now.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts