Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you own a Mossberg 464 or Mossberg 464 SPX, what is your take on these lever guns?
When I first saw the 464 SPX I thought it was a pretty ugly rifle, but after seeing it in person and seeing that it has a 16" barrel on it, it has started to grow on me. Looks like it would make for a versatile brush gun. Just curious how they handled and how they do at the range.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Strange that you would post here in the 336 forum instead of further down in the dedicated site. It is a fluke that I saw your post, however to answer your question, my 464 is the timber stocked model and I have had no end of trouble with it.

BTW, did you know that there is a Mossberg Owners forum:)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Strange that you would post here in the 336 forum instead of further down in the dedicated site.
When I started to title this thread, it was actually about the comparison of the Mossberg 464 and Marlin 336 in how they handled and their shooting by those that owned both rifles. I was asking because the 464 SPX was a lever that looked like no other and the looks are starting to grow on me. I will look for and check out the dedicated Mossberg forum on here.

Update: I found the Mossberg lever gun forum, doesn't look like it has seen any action since December 2016 as of this posting. Most posts seem to be from 2012-2013.

Mods - If this needs to be moved to a more appropriate forum on here, please feel free to move.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
When I started to title this thread, it was actually about the comparison of the Mossberg 464 and Marlin 336 in how they handled and their shooting by those that owned both rifles. I was asking because the 464 SPX was a lever that looked like no other and the looks are starting to grow on me. I will look for and check out the dedicated Mossberg forum on here.

Update: I found the Mossberg lever gun forum, doesn't look like it has seen any action since December 2016 as of this posting. Most posts seem to be from 2012-2013.

Mods - If this needs to be moved to a more appropriate forum on here, please feel free to move.
To me that would seem like a legitimate thread for this section. I also think it would lead to some interesting discussion. Having said that I don't see how the Mossberg could compete with a 336 but then again I've never fired one.

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like Mossberg took a Winchester 94 and a Marlin 336 and combined them and came out with the Mossberg 464.
I have seen pics of 464 in stainless with straight grip stocks, maybe a special run?
Most of us here on MO have a very special passion towards Marlin lever guns, so anything not Marlin and in particular anything not JM, have a lot stacked against them.

Reactions: Vooch

·
Super Moderator
11,588 Posts
It looks like Mossberg took a Winchester 94 and a Marlin 336 and combined them and came out with the Mossberg 464.
I have seen pics of 464 in stainless with straight grip stocks, maybe a special run?
Most of us here on MO have a very special passion towards Marlin lever guns, so anything not Marlin and in particular anything not JM, have a lot stacked against them.
You are probably thinking of the stainless .22 version which came with a straight stock, I am pretty sure they didn't make the 30-30 in the straight stock stainless finish.

ETA the stainless is actually a misnomer as it is actually a proprietary coating that many believe is electroless nickel or hard chrome. Regardless I would love to add one to the collection and am really considering the pistol grip 16" model.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
The Mossberg 464 can compete very favorably with the 336. A the LGS the 464's are going for a little over 300 while the Marlins are about 6-700 depending on model. I had one for a while and sold it because I was rifle poor and my bother in law wanted one. I hunt on his place so it was kind of like a favor. I would buy one again in a minute. Only complaints I had was the fact that it was not D&T for a receiver sight and the trigger was a bit unusual. As to its safety issues. You had to grip the lever fully closed for it to fire and it had a tang Lawyer safety as some call them. When I read about the complaints on the Remlins, I can say that the Mossbergs are pretty much what you see is what you get. They take a top mounted scope as they are angle eject and they are lighter and handier than a Marlin. I had no trouble with the one I had. You Tube has a trigger fix for them. I would buy one before a new Marlin. Many folks would like to see them in other calibers.

DEP

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought a Mossberg 464 30/30 several years ago. I think it was around $300. I believe it was their deluxe version as it has checkered furniture. If you look thru my posts, you'll see that I'm a big JM Marlin fan and prefer older rifles. Over the years, I've owned several Winchester 94s. Handy rifles, especially to carry in the woods. IMHO, the Mossberg 464 is a good rifle, similar feel to the 94 AE. It has been very accurate and hasn't given me any issues. No jams or FTFs. Quality on this rifle seems really good, fit and finish excellent. Granted, I haven't put a ton of rounds thru it. I bought it mainly to use on days that I didn't want to carry one of my older Marlins in the woods or brush. Do I like it better than one of my JM Marlins, HELL NO! Would I buy it again for the same price, hell yes.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback folks. Currently I only own lever guns that have a JM stamped on the barrel, but I'm always looking to try something else, at least once.

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Moved thread to the Mossberg Levers Forum.

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Well, I have owned one! It was actually a lot of fun to shoot. I didn't shoot it enough to really get it zeroed in, I bought it so my wife and daughter could shoot a lever action...the adjustable stock is what sold it for me! Unfortunately I owned this rifle during the first big Obama rifle ban "scare" and someone offered me a LOT more money than I paid for the rifle!! So....I used the money to buy a Marlin CB! Yes, it was that much!
It handled well, it's very light weight. the adjustable stock is very nice, it has a lot of rails, but I never attached anything to it. If you are going to by the black rifle version, SPX, you need to make sure that it has the flash suppressor (barrel is threaded) and all the extras if you are buying used, it came with a "thread protector" as well.

Was trying to figure out what to carry with the rifle at the time! My wife loves her Rhino, so this was probably going to be the combo!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Interesting to read up on folks' experience with the Mossberg lever gun. I'm considering a standard, wood stocked 464 for a "Truck Gun" if I don't find a suitable new 336W. Something inexpensive with no collector value to haul around the woods and not worry too much about weather/brush, etc.

I had a Mossberg/New Haven 679 lever action .30-30 years ago. Wish I still had it. It was a great shooter. Looked a lot like a 336. One kind of "trick" feature was the trigger was attached to the lever, so it would travel with it and there was no chance of your finger getting stabbed on the "upswing".

Mossberg certainly isn't afraid to try new stuff! The SPX version is a pretty radical lever gun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts