Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How 'bout it guys? Anybody sneak in a good long bike trip this season and not tell us about it? Or have anything coming up soon?

Fall is my favorite time to ride, but I don't usually do a lot of riding once the hunting seasons get going... So, sometime here this month, I'm likely to take off on the bike for a few days and a few miles. Kind of a last shot at 2014 motorcycle touring. Did a single, nearly 400 mile day earlier this summer. It was memorable mostly because about 200 miles of it was on dirt & rock and through the mud... What a day!

But I want to get some real miles on the bike soon, before the weather changes & gets too cold and wet to be enjoyable. Multiple days on the bike, heading down the west coast, through the mountains & desert again... We will see....

Who else is going to squeeze in another trip? Or did you, and just not tell us? :biggrin:

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
300 Posts
Made a run up to Grand Marais on the North Shore of Lake Superior yesterday. Microsoft Maps & Trips software on the old computer says it was 537.5 miles (round trip), but I lost a fair amount of time to road construction delays. Not to mention the highest amount of traffic I've seen up there since reworking my shift schedule so I'm not fighting with the weekend insanity. I suppose a lot of folks decided to add onto their long Labor Day weekend and turn it into a full week off that only uses up four vacation days.
Saw threatening clouds starting to build up a little over halfway up the shore and got rained on a couple of times on the way back down.

Was planning on running down by where I grew up in WI today to pick up my nonresident deer license. Just not feeling it and seeing radar imagery of the approaching thunderstorm that's overhead right now reinforced the issue. Yeah, I could drive, but...that'd mean driving for about 400 miles when I'd rather ride, especially up and down the Mississippi river valley through bluff country. Maybe tomorrow will be better, or if not that, there's always next week's days off.

Didn't take a whole lot of pictures (or even stop very often), but here're a few:

SANY0009.JPG SANY0012.JPG SANY0015.JPG SANY0019.JPG

The one with the bike in it is on the edge of the breakwater that includes the parking area at Artist's Point in Grand Marais, looking at the point. There's a small Coast Guard station there that I didn't think to take pictures of. The next two are on the seawall/lake side of the point, the one with the seawall is looking back down the shore towards Duluth and includes some of the weather I was going to go through shortly after taking the picture. The last one, with all the greenery, is at a Veterans' Memorial/scenic overlook along Hwy 23, just a few miles out of the extreme southern end of Duluth.

I still haven't made a big (multi-day, 1,000+ mile) trip this year. Spent too much money on guns that I couldn't afford and can't afford to spend more for travelling. IF I can see my way around to paying for it and the forecast ever cooperates, I'm still hopeful of knocking out another Lake Superior circle tour. Been having lots of nostalgic daydreams about most of the Canadian portion. Latest I've looped the lake was in October about 3-4 years ago, so there's still hope.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Did a motorcycle trip up to Squamish BC then down to Seattle back in mid July. Weather was dry and very hot! :eek:

Will be doing lots of short rides from now into late October, then it's time to lay up the bikes for the winter.

Planning a ride along the Oregon coast next summer. :cool: :top:

Sea-To-Sky Highway to Squamish BC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts