Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 and part of a 37. I know 29 is not safe but how about some of the others? I am greatly impressed by the simplicity of these little rifles compared to my 62 Wrenchester. Thanks, moodyholler

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hi-Speed and High Velocity ammo did not appear until the late 30's- early 40's.... I'm not that sure that any of the Marlin pumps were built to with stand the hi speed stuff to be honest.

While the Winchester action is a lot harder to strip down to action parts, I don't think they are any more complicated than the Marlins were. The beefy design of the bolt and bolt lock up on the 1890-90-1906-06 and 62 guns required no changes for use with high speed ammo. I think that smokeless powder and high velocity loadings had more to do with the demise of the Marlin pumps than anything else.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'd agree with Doc. Since none of these pumps were made when the high speed changes were put into effect in the Marlin lever action 39, I'd guess they would not be safe for high speed ammo. No reason to believe the pumps would have gotten the change before the model 39 did.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I never put it to the test. I bought a couple bricks of longs at a closeout sale once & used them in my older Marlilns. SW

·
Registered
63 Posts
'high speed' ammo

pretty sure they are for standard velocity, for the reasons give; also the standard velocity [ and target ] ammo is much more accurate in every gun i've tried it in; in my 1897 deluxe the standard velocity ammo is terrifically accurate!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts