Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never really wanted a "black gun" but I've been hearing how accurate and fun to shoot they are, so now I kind of want one. I found one that is a Sig M400. It comes with a red dot scope and some ammo. He values it around $900 to $1000. Is it worth trading off one of my Garands for?

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Retail is 1100 on it.
I paid 750 for mine.
Prices have dropped significantly because the demand dropped.
So if you look around you might be able to do better and leverage the deal.
Prices will continue to come down because of supply but the garands won't so it would have to be a sweet deal for me to do it.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is your Sig to shoot? Good, bad or otherwise? He is offering 500 rounds of ammo with his trade. I haven't contacted him yet as I know less than a little about ARs. Any info I can get will be helpful. Thanks, Kevin
Retail is 1100 on it.
I paid 750 for mine.
Prices have dropped significantly because the demand dropped.
So if you look around you might be able to do better and leverage the deal.
Prices will continue to come down because of supply but the garands won't so it would have to be a sweet deal for me to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Agreeing with MidBigWest. AR supply is far outstripping demand. The manufacturers DIDN'T have nationwide bans enacted so they are selling at the standard rate instead of a pre-ban rate. Prices are still coming down but I'd imagine they will bottom out and stabilize soon. At least until the next mass shooting or around elections.

As to the Sig, it's a solid AR platform with quality material throughout. My favorite part is the ambi mag release they managed to work in. It's a bit harder to use from the left side due to mechanical linkages, but it DOES work and work well. I've seen their Magpul version run 1100 on sale new, so you aren't looking at saving any money used through your friend.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I love a good AR-15, but unless I know I was about to go into battle I would never trade a Garand for a similar priced AR.

Sig makes a good rifle though.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Your choice in the end, I would only get rid of the Garand for a sig if I lived in a Gangster paradise and might need a ar case of rioting hoards of people, or needed a S.H.T.F. firearm. But Sig does make good kit and as a O.I.F. vet I like the lower better then a standard ar, it is a well thought out gun. May common sense and realistic need guide your decision. Joel Lee

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Here's a shot at my opinion on this...

The Sig M400 is just another direct-impingement AR type rifle. You should be able to pick up a brand new, DI, AR type rifle of similar quality for the $900 to $1,000 he is asking for this one. FWIW, I picked up another AR after the buying binge (following the last election). The thing was filthy, gritty, and quite frankly - - ugly... I picked it up for $700 because of the condition that it was in.

Turns out, it had only had about 250 rounds through it, but had never been cleaned. The guy that bought it, did so because of all the hype surrounding the last election and the Emperor's promise to do something about all these evil rifles... But, he had no clue as to how to care for or clean them, let alone strip down an AR rifle... His loss, my gain, and no... I have no regrets or remorse for not helping him out.

Now... As for the Garand... Never, ever sell a Garand in good working order that is fully functional and accurate - - especially to fund a poodle-popper AR. You can still find parts for them (Garands) pretty easily, barrels are still being made, and complete rifles are coming into a premium. I haven't seen a Garand in good working order with a decent barrel for less than $1,200 in the last 12 months.

AR's are a hoot - no denying that. They are reasonably accurate, depending on the twist rate of the barrel and the ammo you are running in them. Recoil is negligible, good magazine capacity and tons of after-market bells and whistles to customize your rifle (if your into that stuff). Lot's of pluses in favor of having an AR, but the Garand is just something special - - and IMO, as fun as the AR's are, they ain't no Garand. The bottom line is that I would never trade my Garand for an AR. If you want an AR, start squirreling away the dough for one, but hang onto any Garands you have.

This opinion is mine, and it's probably worth less than your time that you took to read it.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I bought a M400 new a while back and would never ever consider trading a Garand for it. It's a nice rifle and all but I'm pretty sure there's a couple hundred or so in the name alone. I have a Panther DPMS 308 for a little less and it's just as good a shooter. Just like everything else you can spend a lot customizing but in the end it's still a semi-auto 223 or 308 and if you don't keep em clean they aren't any fun to shoot. MHO.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
View attachment 118045 It would be awful hard to split the twins. Guess my best bet would be to just go put one on lay-a-way at Harps, they do lay-a-way for 6 months. That's our local grocery store. Man, you can't help but love this state.
I'll trade you my 308 for one of the twins. You got my contact info if you want to talk about it.

-Darrell

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
How is your Sig to shoot? Good, bad or otherwise? He is offering 500 rounds of ammo with his trade. I haven't contacted him yet as I know less than a little about ARs. Any info I can get will be helpful. Thanks, Kevin
I like it. Fun gun the optic is or should be a sigtac optic 3x not the best but fine for hitting a silhouette target at 100 yards.
The 500 rounds really would not sweeten the deal a whole lot for me because you can get brass cased russian/eastern block ammo for 30 cents a piece. Now last year I would have said different but supply is too good right now.

Reactions: Surveybob

·
Registered
839 Posts
Scope and ammo might make the cost come close to adding up. That depends on the scope and ammo though. I'd definitely not trade a Garand for one no matter what came along with it.

Reactions: Surveybob
1 - 14 of 14 Posts