Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
With the factory Winchester loads it is a pretty wimpy round....but with hand loads it is whole different monster. It is a good 200 yard rifle with handloads. It is very accurate and puts deer down in their tracks.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
If you are a hand loader look for 38-55 to .375 win to compare. The 38-55 in a new 336CB will equal the .375 with no sweat, however don't use the hotter loads in a 93 marlin. The winchesters can be used if newer manufacture like the Chief Crazy Horse. This round shines with cast bullets and does real well with handloads though there is not much available for jacketed bullets, barnes originals in .377 work good but are expensive. Stone Fence makes a better bullet than what barnes produces for less money. Range on a warm handload will get you 200yds if you know your rifle, for deer sized game or larger. You may have noticed I'm a 38-55 fan, own one and load for it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
what Swany and Big med. said. It's a superb round, but with only one weak factory load available, you'll have to handload to get the most out of it.

If you're thinking of getting the Marlin cowboy, better hurry and get one soon, as they've been discontinued. There should be a few left in gunshops out there. :(

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I would say the factory ammo.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I had a 93 in .38-55. IME any load that doesn't exceed 28K CUP is fine.

17 gr. H4227 249 gr. PB cast to duplicate fatory ammo
or
28 gr. IMR 3031 265 gr. GC cast to produce 1600-1700 fps of deer killin' power!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts