Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some Accurate 5744 for a friend's OLD Winchester lever action a few months back, and while looking through the Lyman cast bullet book see it listed for the 45/70

I have been using H335 with my 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast bullet with results that have accounted for a growing pile of deer and 3 elk to date.

However, and I fully understand the true story can only be had by testing in my rifle, I'm wondering if there is any info out there, pro/con, from folk who have already tested this powder.

Lyman lists it as the go to powder in quite a number of the old original black powder cartridges, and the data they supply for the 45/70 seems to indicate it may well do a good job in that cartridge.

thanks,

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
Hey Crusty, can't speak for that bullet combo, but I have used many other with 5744. Seems to work well in the 45-70, I use a top end load of 5744 with my watermelon smashers in my ruger #1. pretty powerful and accurate

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mrguvna!

There is also info on the Accurate Web site.

Will watch the replies and just may give it a test run.

Also may give it a try in my RUGER 77/44 with a 240gr cast. Accurate also list data for that cartridge and bullet.

Used a 275/280gr Cast Wide Flat Nose in the .44 for a couple deer last Fall, but hoping to get better groups with the 240gr. So far, with H110 and Lil'Gun accuracy is a no show!

CDOC

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Crusty,
In my 1895 Cowboy 45-70 (26" barrel) - It's not an exact match, but my 405 gr. cast bullet load (Lyman # 457193) is 28.5 grs. of XMP 5744, CCI 200 primer in Remington brass. Chronographed Velocity = 1,425 fps. With the "issue open sights" and my old eyes, this load will hold +/-2.5" at 100 yds. (bagged & benched of course).

Your results may vary and you know the routine regards staring low and working upwards on the powder.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bought some Accurate 5744 for a friend's OLD Winchester lever action a few months back, and while looking through the Lyman cast bullet book see it listed for the 45/70
I have been using H335 with my 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast bullet with results that have accounted for a growing pile of deer and 3 elk to date.
However, and I fully understand the true story can only be had by testing in my rifle, I'm wondering if there is any info out there, pro/con, from folk who have already tested this powder.
Lyman lists it as the go to powder in quite a number of the old original black powder cartridges, and the data they supply for the 45/70 seems to indicate it may well do a good job in that cartridge.

Thanks,
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Hi CDOC>

As I recall, you have a Ruger No.1 in 45-70... probably the highest pressure action available today. Which means you could easily (safely) use a Trap Door MAX load for a 450gr cast bullet with 5744 powder. According to the 4th Edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, the MA
X load for a Trap Door, 450gr, and 5744, is 29.0 grs with a COAL of 2.850"... is 2.850" a possible COAL for your Ruger No.1? I know the COAL Max for my 1895, 45-70 (DRC takedown) is 2.550".

Best Regards,
Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.